Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry for the whimpy thread title. Some very interesting photos from the Boston Public Library Archives. Boston Common "The Common" is a familiar place to me so it's interesting to see the aircraft on display there during the war.
Two sets of photos worth a look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_pu ... 973175543/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_pu ... 827700801/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I believe the German Airplanes on Boston Common was from prior to America's entry into the war and was part of a "Bundles for Britain" propaganda / fundraising campaign for Britain's war effort. I'm fairly certain the 109 is an E model that was flown by Unteroffizer Horst Perez from II/JG26. Also, IIRC, this plane is still extant, although I can't recall who has it. From what I remember if you examine the plane closely, you would see that various people scratched their names onto the plane while it was on tour in the U.S. and Canada.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 pm 

SaxMan wrote:
I believe the German Airplanes on Boston Common was from prior to America's entry into the war and was part of a "Bundles for Britain" propaganda / fundraising campaign for Britain's war effort. I'm fairly certain the 109 is an E model that was flown by Unteroffizer Horst Perez from II/JG26. Also, IIRC, this plane is still extant, although I can't recall who has it. From what I remember if you examine the plane closely, you would see that various people scratched their names onto the plane while it was on tour in the U.S. and Canada.

Definitely not an E model... and the placard says it's a 109F from N. Africa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Definitely during the war (1944) war bond drive. Soldiers helmets are a conformation as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:38 am 

SaxMan wrote:
Also, IIRC, this plane is still extant, although I can't recall who has it.

Not this one but your thinking of the "E" at IWM Duxford

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:32 am 

A photo in the background of the 109 shows a B-17[could be an F] being bombed up. Also the Baka piloted bomb says it was captured on Okinawa1 Okinawa plus shipping time etc to USA means probably 1945...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fascinating selection, Mark, thanks for sharing!

Good comments so far. Certainly the early images are all of the same occasion, with the Ju 88, Bf 109F and, critically, the Ki 43 all putting the date into 1942 plus - 1943?

I agree with Invader26 on the 'Baka' date, but is that image of the same occasion as the previous images? It might be, but it could also be completely separate - it seems to be in a LST(?) which obviously doesn't feature in the background earlier images.

Hope the crew got out of the Grumman J2F Duck safely, looks messy.

The pre-war scheme Grumman Duck on the deck of the ship is the smallest non-lighter I've seen with a Duck aboard; it looks like it's aside a neutrality-marked Norwegian fishing(?) boat. Confusingly several famous Norwegian ships were called 'Norge' but none looking like this.

And there's a lot more of interest, too...

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's a few clues as to the date in the first few photos. It's certainly not late fall or winter as you would be able to clearly notice those signs by the trees and dress attire in Boston. There's one obvious clue though in the 109 photos. See if anyone catches it ;)

Hope you take a look at the links I posted as well. Some real fascinating stuff if you have the time to explore.

M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 am 

It appears the Japanese mini sub is this one:

Of the five used at Pearl Harbor, No.19 was captured with its pilot Kazuo Sakamaki where it grounded on the east side of Oahu. During World War II, No.19 was put on tour across the United States to help sell War Bonds. Now a U.S. National Historic Landmark, No.19 is an exhibit at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas.

It's interesting to note the viewing windows cut into the hull. I saw this sub a few years ago but, can't recall if the windows have been covered up.

Thanks, Mark!

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 am 

I recall seeing the LST with the Baka Bomb shortly after the war, which would make it post 1945. There were various displays set up on the Tank Deck for public viewing as the ship was on a port to port tour. The Baka was the first thing you saw when walking in through the open bow doors. I was 8 or 9 years old at the time so I don't remember what all the other displays were.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm curious about the Japanese Midget Sub. I presume this is one of the examples captured at Pearl Harbor? If it still exists, the fact that the hull has been cut open and windows added should make the ID easy to determine.

<edit> After a bit of Googling it appears that this is likely the sub now on display at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas. That one was apparently sent around the US for war bond drives after the military had finished examining it.

SN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm checking on it now but I'm wondering if the Duck pics are from the old CGAS Salem? Trying to figure out if this pic could be Salem also. I see a Duck and a PBY or Hall boat in the hanger.

The USS Bear with the Duck hanging off the back is the Coast Guard's famous old RCS/CGC Bear. From the Navy archives:

•Screw Steamer, built in 1874 as the sealing vessel Bear by Alexander Stephen and Sons Ltd., Linthouse, Goven, Scotland
•Purchased by the US Navy, 28 January 1884, at St John's Newfoundland
•Commissioned, USS Bear, 17 March 1884, LT. W. H. Emory in command
•Decommissioned and struck from the Naval Register in April 1885
•Transferred to the Revenue Cutter Service (Coast Guard)
•Sold by the Coast Guard to the City of Oakland, CA, in 1929 for use as a museum
•Repurchased by the US Navy and commissioned, USS Bear (AG-29), 11 September 1939
•Decommissioned, 17 May 1944
•Transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal, 13 February 1948
•Sold by the Maritime Commission for commercial service in 1948, renamed Arctic Sealer used as a sealer homeported at Halifax, Canada
•Resold in 1962 for conversion to a floating museum and restaurant at Philadelphia, PA.
•Final Disposition, foundered while under tow off Chatham, MA., 19 March 1963, on her way to Philadelphia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:24 pm 

JDK wrote:

The pre-war scheme Grumman Duck on the deck of the ship is the smallest non-lighter I've seen with a Duck aboard; it looks like it's aside a neutrality-marked Norwegian fishing(?) boat. Confusingly several famous Norwegian ships were called 'Norge' but none looking like this.

Not confusing really, 'Norge' is Norwegian for Norway, hence its widespread appearance on the side of their vessels in wartime.

I agree, some great images.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Norwegian vessel is the Busko. It was seized by the CGC Northland in Sept 1941 and towed to Boston by the USS Bear. The info is below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Busk%C3%B8

The CGC Northland is the cutter the J2F-4 Duck was attached to when it crashed during the heroic rescue of the PN9E aircrew on November 29th, 1942. That is the same Duck in the current Duck Hunt MIA search and recovery efforts. The NY Times best seller Frozen In Time tells the story.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:00 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Quoting the Flickr page: "Plane crash - US Army plane taken on joy ride by mechanics"
Took some digging, but from accident-report.com it looks like this was Douglas BT-2A 30-209 listed as crashed in Boston on May 30, 1936.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)