Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:03 am 

I understand that Golden Apple's F-86A should be disassembled over the next few days, prior to being shipped to the USA to join its new owner.

This is quite a significant move for both sides of the 'pond' - the Sabre's been a British and European airshow regular for more than 22 years, so many will naturally be sad to see it go. Arguably, however, it "belongs" in the USA, being a very significant and unique early jet aircraft with little connection to the UK.

I'll miss her, but I can't have anything but gratitude for the people who have operated and flown the Sabre for our enjoyment over the years. It's been a great ride!

As an aside, this article by test pilot Keith Dennison offers a fascinating insight into flying the A model Sabre - it doesn't sound particularly lovely from a pilot's perspective! http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2014/10/17/aviation-feature-f-86a-sabre-g-sabr-a-test-pilots-perspective/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Elliott Marsh - GAR wrote:
Arguably, however, it "belongs" in the USA, being a very significant and unique early jet aircraft with little connection to the UK.

Seriously!? 81st FGp ring any bells?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

quemerford wrote:
Elliott Marsh - GAR wrote:
Arguably, however, it "belongs" in the USA, being a very significant and unique early jet aircraft with little connection to the UK.

Seriously!? 81st FGp ring any bells?

Okay...one unit vs. the country where it was designed, built and tested...not to mention the home of most of the aircraft of its type.

Oddly, while in the UK I don't believe it was flown in 81st colors...or was it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:49 am 

To clarify, I was referring to that particular Sabre, rather than the type in general, which of course flew in both USAF and RAF service in the UK. FU-178 only came to the UK in 1992, after spending its entire service career and much of its ex-military life in the States. That was the point I was making, rather than a general comment about the Sabre!

Golden Apple's Sabre was painted in 4th FG colours for the duration of its stay here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:51 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There was talk of a repaint a good few years ago, and I did campaign long and hard for putting it back in its original 94th FS colours. Sadly no dice, but one can hope that it might happen now.

It's also worth remembering that Ben Hall operated '178 from 1974 to 1992, so it's spent the majority of its post-restoration life flying in the UK; that provenance is part of its illustrious history now.

And going back to my point regarding 81st FGp - it was simply that aside from the USA and Korea (plus the odd foray into China), the UK was the only foreign country to have F-86As permanently based in-period.

48-242 is of course still preserved in the UK at Coventry, and now that '178 is about to depart, I can only hope that '242 receives the care it so richly deserves. And unlike, '178, Coventry's F-86A IS a genuine ex-4th FGp machine!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 am 

Once upon a time at Duxford...

JMC