Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:58 pm 

robkamm wrote:
was the Connecticut p47 recovered?

My preliminary search about it being recovered didn't turn up with anything, that's why it's on my list. I could me totally wrong if it crashed on a sand bar and was easily accessible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:46 am 

In April 2014, while visiting the AF Historical Research Agency, Maxwell AFB, AL, I was told this agency is digitalizing 70-million pages of “declassified” air force records on file, for internet access. I presume all MACR and full aircraft accidents reports will also be placed online for public research. They are currently digitalizing all "declassified" air force records at NARA, College Park, MD, for eventual posting to the future AF HRA internet site. I presume it may take 3 – 5 years before this project reaches final fruition.

Aviation researchers worldwide will be ecstatic to access this wealth of online information from their computer.

Norman Malayney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This would be 43-4336 B-25H-1 registered as N96GC, she was completely destroyed.

B-25 drug plane...whatever happened to it?
Image[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:19 pm 

JohnB wrote:
Speeddemon651 wrote:
How come only one of the B-25's have been recovered from Lake Murray, SC ? There is still one in the lake in deeper water.

Just a guess, there are enough B-25s out there that it doesn't make financial sense to spend the money to recover one that might...or might not...be worth restoring.
Remember, it's someone's money.

I brought up this question awhile back and was told that there was only one wreck that was ever confirmed to be in the lake and that was the one they found. I was also told that if another one were to surface it would be VERY unexpected. There still remains the possibility of 1 or 2 in the lake but its not a good probability. would I spend a week or two there with a side scan sonar and a few 6 packs given the opportunity? hell yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Speeddemon651 wrote:
•421114 P-47C 41-6122 Bailed Out due to Structural Failure Silver Lake, FL
That was Cullen Hoffman at the controls, on 14 Nov, 1942.
Oddly, there was a AAF survival school (with a crude aircraft dunker to simulate crashing into water) there at the time.
I can assure you there's NO airplane in that lake today. I grew up very close by and swam and dove into that lake countless times, even though it is admittedly dark (and reasonably acidic) at the bottom due to tree runoff. It's really not that big a lake, anyway:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=tallahas ... 17&iwloc=A
It was only about 20 feet or so deep at it's deepest point. Doubly ironic is that there is a lake a few miles south of there which had crystal clear water, you could almost see all the way across the lake under water.

All that said, there was a P-47 in Lake Talquin, just to the Northwest of Silver Lake. I've seen several photos of the remains whent he lake was drained for dam work. I've read that the remains were pulled out but I have no idea whatever happened to them.
Also, I know that one .50 caliber MG was recovered because I once personally saw it. It was haning on the basement wall of Nick Fallier, a former jug pilot who has since passed away. I wonder whatever happened to that, as well...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Whatever happened to the full story of N96GC's demise, complete with photos and everything? It was posted on Aero Vintage and (I believe) here. But vanished just like Flight 19...

T J