Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thought maybe some here would like to see this. An outstanding job by some extremely talented, dedicated and ambitious fellas.
I'm very, very, very proud of these guys for all the hard work they put into this project. Wish I had it in me to accomplish such things and I also wish every other Air Group would be honored in such a way. Absolutely fantastic job and one that deserves a great amount of recognition for those being honored and those doing the honoring. Again great job guys and I look forward to November 11th.
A note: The USS Hornet museum allowed the guys to recreate an Avenger being lifted up to the flight deck for the movie using the Avenger on display. Very cool indeed.

http://www.eleventhemovie.com/

Special people listed here.
George Retelas (Film director of the upcoming movie "Eleven" to be shown on the USS Hornet November 11, 2014)
Tim Hampton (Air Group 11 researcher, historian, curator of the CVG-11 exhibit on the USS Hornet, collector of impressive CVG-11 artifacts, and so much more)
Greg Myers (Professional model builder of the CVG-11 aircraft that will be on display on the USS Hornet November 11, 2014,
See his work here,
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52514

These three men really did something special here. Thank you very much guys.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "Eleven" trailer ...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:35 pm 

Thanks, Mark, glad to be of help. Tim should have the models in hand by the end of the day tomorrow.

The movie looks like it was very well done and I can't wait to see the whole thing as well as the whole exhibit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wonderful day and evening yesterday. Photos say it all ... I was grateful and honored to be included and many thanks to George, Tim and Greg for everything they accomplished. You'll see their fantastic work and achievements throughout these photos. It's folks like these gents who make it so worth the effort to continue to honor the vets. Great, great people who show amazing generosity and kindness towards the vets and their families. Very proud of them.

The Air Group 11 Veterans who attended (seven total made it, all in their 90's) one a 7 kill ace, and all the rest of the greatest generation veterans were the stars of the event. They received the attention and gratitude they all so very much earned. Not a dry eye on the ship all day and into the night.

Below you will see several years of work from Tim and George perfecting two actual Air Group 11 staterooms while aboard the USS Hornet in early 1945. All the items were carefully collected and displayed by the guys in great detail. Greg's (WIXerGreg) fine models are prominently displayed and are second to none in detail right down to the amazing cockpit detail. Amazing work by all three guys. Nothing was spared in authenticity and accuracy. All the items you see on display are the 'real deal'. Nothing fake or recreated. A truly amazing display that was a hit with the veterans and family. (over 600 people attended the event)

George and Tim

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry for the poor photo quality (Iphone)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Again sorry for the bad lighting and photo quality. The film was shown in the hanger deck with the honored veterans seated with their families in the front. Standing ovation at the end of the showing and the last photo sums up how Cdr W Robert Maxwell (7 kills, three probables) felt about all the attention. He cried on my shoulder for a few moments overwhelmed. Very humbling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 pm 

Very cool! I've been impatiently waiting to see the pictures. I'm at work now and will go back and have a better look when I get home tonight.

The pitot tube on the Helldiver looks like it took a hit, it should be pointing forward. Probably not a big deal but if somebody wants to try and straighten it out it would look better. It's very weak so it may not survive bending it back down, it might need to be broken and then glued.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 am 

Mark,
Thank you so much for posting these. I'm glad you attended the event and enjoyed the exhibit and the movie. Help from people like you is the reason the exhibit was such a great success! You and the other family members of Air Group Eleven donated photos, artifacts and documents that helped me get the job done. Thanks again!

Greg,
The models look amazing and got a lot of great feedback from the pilots and aircrew of CVG-11. Thank you again for taking on this project. The pitot tube was bent while the cases were being prepared for the opening that day. I was afraid to try to bend it back and have it break off. We will have it taken care of soon.

WANTED: Always looking for information about Carrier Air Group 11 (VS-11/VB-21, VB-11, VF-11 & VT-11) while land based at Guadalcanal in 1943 & while serving aboard the USS Hornet (CV-12) 1944-45. Also looking to contact historians/ collectors with the same interest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tim, the pleasure was all mine. It was a great success. The vets were fantastic to spend some time with. Such great fellas. Hope you and your lovely wife are having a nice little vacation. We'll talk soon.

M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Men among boys! ... These guys were true hero's for coming all the way from where many of them live. A lost art of manhood if you ask me.

Cdr W Robert Maxwell below (7 kills, three probables) said to me in tears after the screening ... "I can't believe they finally got it right ... I was never shot down, my tail was accidently cut off by my own guys" ... He spent three days floating in a raft and a few more days stranded on an island.

Not one complaint from any of them and they were very much active for photos and autographs for several hours, no complaints at all and they were happy to tell their stories and answer questions all day and into the night. Amazing guys. Best time I've had in a long time. Hated to see them leave. And not one of them questioned my photo sources :roll: :wink:

Tim and George (and the rest of us who attended) did everything we could to express just how grateful we all were for their service, efforts, sacrifices and just simply attending the event as well. We made sure they knew they were national treasures and that all the attention they received they earned, if not for being years too late. They were everything I expected, very humble, modest and friendly gentlemen. A sense of class, code of honor and modesty these men had that I've never witnessed before. When it's their time to leave us to go join their squadron mates, their absences will have a far deeper impact on those of us who attended the event and had the pleasure to spend a little time with them. God bless them.

M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We lost another hero today :( ... God bless you Gerry Coeur and may you rest in peace.
It was such an honor and pleasure to have met you in person.
Thanking you for your service will never be enough.

Gerry Coeur, 1.5 Kill VF-11 fighter pilot who served proudly with Air Group 11 during WW2

"Volunteering to serve in World War II interrupted Gerry’s education but he served with distinction and honor. Upon finishing his service he returned home to Humboldt State College. At Humboldt, Gerry received his degree in English while hoping to pursue work as a broadcaster after school. After Humboldt Gerry began working for a local radio station. His career as a broadcaster was short-lived. Gerry had to return to the local family grocery business due to his father’s failing health. It turned out that returning home to help with the family business became more than just a short term offer of help. It wasn’t long before Gerry bought the family store from his parents and became the 3rd generation Coeur to own the Freshwater Store. About the time Gerry returned to the Freshwater Store, he married a local girl named Dorothy Rezzonico. He and Dorothy had 3 children together. Gerry continued to run the family business for 20 years, when he then sold the store and changed careers to that of a stockbroker. Gerry worked as a broker until his retirement in 1988. Unfortunately Gerry’s wife Dorothy passed away unexpectedly, a month after his retirement. A few years later Gerry had the good fortune to marry Georgann Lenz. They continued to share their lives together in the beautiful community of Bayside along with the love and support of their 2 blended families."

God bless you Gerry and your family.
You will never be forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Fitting tribute, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Ken