Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: 1995 dayton airshow
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:57 pm 

some circa 1995 Dayton airshow photos, just something for you all to look at absentmindedly, between the extra-fine stuff. I bought a neat toy--a negatives to PC scanner. it's lightning quick. good for straightening out messed-up negatives archives. when the bomber wings each came OVER me I was transported somewhere else, a magical place. I swear the older shows used to do the trick with me more-so than today.

Last edited by Courier Sportster on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1995 dayton airshow
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:21 pm 

Ah, yes...the year of the "Truckasaurus"...

my not so great video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFHR_9AaYNk

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:38 pm 

the nimrod footage--excellent! I loved that aircraft.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I can see why #1 prop was not turning on most of the planes, rather close to the crowd line! That kind of closeless really makes for memories- sadly don't see much of that anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was in Dayton at the time and I recall seeing the Lancaster fly.
Was that the only year it was there (in the mid-90s)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 pm 
S/N Geek

I was there! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:39 pm 
S/N Geek

Mr. Sportster, I am just getting around to looking at my photos from that show. There was an AH-1 Cobra on display there. It was parked on the grass. Did you happen to note the ID or get any photos with markings? I got a couple of good shots but there are no markings.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I get a little depressed every time I see old pics of the MATS Connie at an airshow. Such a maginficent sight and now most likely forever grounded. I am very glad to have had several opportunities to see the old girl in action before she left these shores.

I appreciate the great pics despite the "depression" they caused! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:43 pm 

Dayton was our home field for our living history group. I vividly recall the 93 show when we invited several of the crews over to a members house for a pool party and backyard bar-b-cue.
The next year was a carbon copy for air acts, and a month or so before the show I got a call from the Raiders ops guy, and he says, "Hey, are you boys having that cook out again?" Yes. "Well, we're bringin' the brisket!!". A few days later the phone rings and it is the advance man for the Mynarski Lanc, and he says, "Are you guys having that piss up again in Dayton?" Yes. "Super! We're bringing the beer!"
That second back yard event was incredible. We had the Raiders crew, the Lanc crew, the K-zoo pilots, the PR team from Charlie Osborne's Louisville show, several veterans, aviation-photog Dan Patterson, and a bunch of other folks. It was epic!

Great memories in your photos! Thanks!

The Dayton shows when run locally were just fantastic for years. They were never the same after the Cleveland people took over. (Actually, they were the same (Cleveland II) from year to year after that.) I remember one person saying, "Ya know we paid for this air show twice. Once at the gate and the other time in taxes." Meaning it was mostly modern military and the warbird aspect sort of disappeared.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:58 am 

sorry, mike, no more pics from this day i don't think. but i have a memory of the C-46 being captured better than this, so there may be more. and the prior year i have some pics because i can recall a tall-tail PBY. but no cobra shot. back in the film days i had to be more selective. my thoughts on the old shows is that for me it all kind of peaked in 1995, what with the 50th anniversary. seems everybody rolled out for that celebration. it's been downhill since, to my perceptions. admittedly, i haven't been getting out much the past few years. although the aerial footage, lacking reference points, was generally terrible, i really miss when WHIO-TV would broadcast the show the whole dang day! and then a week later do a highlights show. So if you didn't want to drive the distance, brave the crowds, ride a tram, or get a big ol' sunburn, it was on the TV! my cincy reception was sketchy though. Jim Baldridge also kinda knew his stuff, so it wasn't agony to listen to. yeah, i don't get why that MATS connie would be retired to static! bad move! i got to see it at Lunken too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:40 pm 

oh, i see the PBY ahead of the connie. i think it was there the year before too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:57 pm 

I attended the Dayton air show in the late 80's..
The year I was there, the SR71 was to do a flyby, but It never appeared while I was there..
Still a great show!

Went to the Air Force museum, also on that trip...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm 

Changing the subject slightly, what brand and model of scanner did you get? I've been thinking about getting one as well. are you doing any post processing on the scanned images?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:45 pm 

I flew in the MATS Connie at one of the very early Yankee Air Museum gigs. As I recall we invaded Canada with the Connie, a B-25, a B-17 or two, maybe a B-24 and one or two other planes. We over-flew Detroit and then over the Ambassador Bridge and made a wide turn deep over Windsor. No flak was encountered.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I think Windsor's AA defenses consist of slingshots loaded with Timbits. 8)

SN