Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Butch O'Hare
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 pm 

Back in 2014, the Missouri Aviation Historical Society dedicated one of the monthly meetings to the Butch O'Hare story. I have to admit that I only realzied that Butch O'Hare was from St. Louis a few years ago. We were lucky enough to have a number of his family members in attendance that evening and they brought with them some very interesting family memorabilia. We were also lucky enough to have a local public TV producer, Jim Kirchherr, who put together a wonderful story about Butch O'Hare in attendance that evening. Jim brought a DVD of the program so we were able to watch it on the large projection screen. It's available on YouTube and well worth the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEKJgPewG6Y

Sadly, there are no memorials to Butch O'Hare in St. Louis. Apparently his mother did not want any built because she thought it would take away from all the other young men who were lost in the war. Based on what I learned about Butch O'Hare that evening, he may have felt the same way. So there's not much of his story on display here in his home town, in fact I don't think there is anything on display any more. There is a small airport up in Chicago that is named in his honor. :? Most of us who are interested in Missouri aviation history feel like we should do more to tell his story so perhaps the newly formed Missouri Aviation Hall of Fame will take up that subject soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Butch O'Hare, one of my aviation heroes! The memorial at O'Hare Airport www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM48ND

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:06 pm 

I noticed the slots in the screw heads are pretty much all aligned on the canopy framing. I think that is some pretty amazing attention to detail on a production built military aircraft. I am not sure if it was produced before the start of the war, or after, but someone cared about doing their job well! Remarkable.

Last edited by AG pilot on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Another shot of Butch, and one of his last photos

Butch O'Hare and leading Chief, Williams standing in front an F6F Hellcat.