Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
And especially sorry to Lyle, Brad and the rest of the Erickson crew.

Just to be clear, I've got no involvement with the Erickson Collection...but I'd like to! I've seen their place, seen their airplanes and met most of the people involved. The people, planes and place are first rate. My only participation so far was in talking to Lyle (he's a friend) during the planning stages.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:01 pm 

BS!!!! ... and you knucklehead! I just got off the phone with you and you write this nonsense? All this coming from you who has preached "authenticity over crap" all these years!
Tell you what Jack, find out if anyone up there at Madras will take MY CHECK, I'll write one right now to cover a new paint job. So drop the "write a check" BS

Mr. Mark Allen M,

If you would like to fully cover any and all costs to repaint the Madras Maiden in accurate markings that are based on a red color scheme, we would entertain your offer.

The replacement of the Madras Maiden nose art is not an option though.

- Lyle

Last edited by aerocapture on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:26 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

$15K to strip and repaint to 351st BG markings Triangle J markings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You can call me anytime to discuss further. I'd have no problem having a chat with anyone from your group. PM works best for now.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great looking airplane, wish you guys nothing but the best.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just a thought, Mark- there were some things said "in the heat of the moment" that you've acknowledged you're not too proud of. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to go edit those posts in the spirit of bringing things back down to a low simmer? :)

A couple other thoughts:

- "Madras Maiden" is a good name for her, as it honors the community who even chipped in to have the art applied. I have a great deal of respect for that. In fact, "Champaign Lady" will also carry a name which honors her community as well, and no one (to my knowledge) has taken issue with that. The community seems supportive of the plane and the artwork- I'd say that's a good thing, even if I'd rather see Jinx Falkenburg or Ella Raines up there on that nose. :)

- On the subject of "Champaign Lady": It occurred to me this morning that if this 351st BG idea somehow takes off, that within a couple years Lyle and other superbly talented aviation photographers would have the remarkable opportunity to shoot a formation made up of aircraft from all three units of the 94th Combat Bombardment Wing: the 457th BG (Sentimental Journey), the 401st BG (Champaign Lady) and the 351st (if Madras Maiden somehow went that way). Has anyone tried that formation with 909, Yankee Lady, and Aluminum Overcast for a 1st Combat Bombardment Wing group photo, I wonder?

Just shifting some positive thoughts and ideas around this AM, that's all...

Lynn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yep! slept on it, reread my nonsense and cleaned it up a bit. Nothing left to say from me. Good time to retire and join the ranks of those who don't care and shouldn't care. It's not my airplane. Good luck to the owner and his crew. Fly safe.

M

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:40 am 

I love authenticity in paint schemes, but the real deal that brings on the goosebumps every time is seeing, hearing, and feeling these aircraft roar their way into the air...no matter how they are painted.

Chappie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:15 am 

Quote:

Third, some owners feel that paint schemes can honor vets in other ways besides being accurate. Lyle has offered a valid argument for how the very inaccuracies in MM's new paint job pay tribute to vets. Another example is the P-51 Quick Silver. This would get a D or F on my accuracy grading system, but when Bill Yoak picked the paint scheme, he decided that vets could be better honored by a set of obscure symbolic markings that require a pamphlet to explain rather than an accurate scheme. Mmmkay, it's an opinion.

August

I knew someone would bring us up. Nevertheless, Our take on the whole authentic paint scheme was to represent ALL veterans and not just one squadron with with crew and pilot. Our aircraft was a parts bird for the lack of words, so that's why Dad painted it as he did. And I've NEVER heard a veteran say "that's insulting" or "I can't believe you painted it that way" 100% have absolutely thanked us for how we painted it.

http://quicksilvermustang.com/quick-silver-p-51d/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:37 am 

Amen Scooter.....

PT-19/26, T-34 CAF Pilot

Favorite quote from Wind, Sand & Stars - A. St. Exupuery "friends are like trees...when they are gone we miss their shade"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry one last post for someone asking to see a Madras AAF B-17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

aerocapture wrote:
Mr. Mark Allen M,

If you would like to fully cover any and all costs to repaint the Madras Maiden in accurate markings that are based on a red color scheme, we would entertain your offer.

The replacement of the Madras Maiden nose art is not an option though.

- Lyle

I lied, one more last, last post. I'd usually let something like this go, but you did counter my offer with an offer of your own. I guess I should try to honor it. Not sure how we could agree to the artwork issue though, seems like your dead set on that one. Perhaps if you did agree to a scheme change we could change the artwork down the road? Another option would be to put the "Shirley Jean" artwork on one side and keep your "Madras Maiden" artwork on the other?. I believe your artist only painted it on one side? Just some thoughts. No negative feelings Lyle and nothing against the girl or artist. Photo source Fold3 archives

This Particular B-17 would be a fantastic idea because (1) it's got the 'red color scheme' and (2) it has some real nice Oregon connections. I'll let a few others fill in the History if they wish.
B-17G "Shirley Jean" 323rd Bomb Sq, 91st BG. During 18 months at Bassingbourn flew at least 98 missions, last being 4 March 1945 to Reutlingen.

Lt. J.R. Lindahl And Crew Of The 324Th Bomb Sq., 91St Bomb Group, 8Th Air Force, Beside The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress 'Shirley Jean'. England.

B-17G Shirley Jean 323rd Bomb Sq, 91st BG. During 18 months at Bassingbourn flew at least 98 missions, last being 4 March 1945 to Reutlingen

B-17G 42-107040 Shirley Jean (coded OR-K) of the 323rd Bomb Sq, 91st BG (OR for Oregon? :wink: wouldn't that be a nice touch)

B-17G 42-107040 Shirley Jean (coded OR-K) of the 323rd Bomb Sq, 91st BG

Damage to B-17G 42-107040 "Shirley Jean" of the 323rd Bomb Sq, 91st BG. The aircraft was involved in a midair collision

SSGT Michael Fanchek, tail gunner, inspects the damage to B-17G 44-6151 "Shure Shot" of the 324th Bomb Sq, 91st BG, resulting from a midair collision

BTW Lyle, I guess it should be stated that in no way would I or many of the other WIX members feel the need to chastize the owner, yourself or your crew. This was NEVER the intention. I suppose you could look at it this way. Granted we don't own these airplanes, but many of us sincerely care about them (and their owners) and the veterans who flew them during the war. As has been stated time and again, these wonderful fellows are leaving us faster than we can make the effort to thank them properly. We could simply not care and never express our opinions at all, but I'd really like to think that owners do care what many of us think. I'll admit I've gone a bit too far, but I sincerely hope you can respect where I stand, just as much as I respect the owners decisions as best I can. A few careless comments in a few of my posts may not reflect that but they all were well meaning I assure you.

NONE of us are looking for pats on the back or to be viewed as crusaders for justice against the owners of warbirds. Nothing like that at all.

Who knows perhaps I'm just a freak of nature because I give a sh*t ...

Sorry for the massive and sometimes convoluted thread, didn't think it would go this far, and as often happens with threads that carry on and on (of which I'm to blame) it can get a bit screwy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mark Allen M wrote:
Sorry one last post for someone asking to see a Madras AAF B-17

Thank you!
Joe Baugher wrote:
(42-)102770 surveyed at Alexandria AAF, GA Apr 18, 1944

No cheek guns, of course. Looks like it has those auxiliary windows in the windscreen.
Got any more like that? Sorry to bug you, but WIXer jdvoss's fuselagecodes.com site doesn't have Madras listed yet so I wanted to pass the info along.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not bugging me at all Chris, the photo states Madras AAF, but perhaps it's not, or at least it wasn't in that photo. It very well could be the fellow in the box was stationed at Madras but that B-17 is from Alexandria AAF. Not much to go on. I'll check some more to see if I can get a better answer.

M

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next