Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No rant, no meltdown and certainly not criticizing anyone's warbirds, only an observation, but I'm beginning to notice a few more warbirds going the direction of non-authentic schemes over a more realistic and authentic scheme. Not to confuse the fact that yes indeed there seems to be several very authentic restorations in recent years, but I'm also beginning to see a few owners choosing a more modern style of artwork and schemes perhaps somewhat connected to an original authentic scheme, but really not close at all. The B-17 "Madras Maiden" now comes to mind. Saw this photo posted on the WIX Facebook page. Don't get me wrong now, love the girl, love the artwork, just not a fan of it on a B-17. Perhaps it's just a temporary thing, I don't know and not my airplane so really not for me to say what the owners can or should do, but my opinion is harmless And not intended to criticize. I'm reminded of the Lewis collection as well. Several of his fleet have outstanding authentic schemes, a few not so much. Are we seeing a change in ideology or just a few rare examples? I personally really enjoy and appreciate very authentic schemes and always have, but I know there's plenty of logistics that go along with fully authentic schemes that is certainly understandable why warbird owners may tend to choose to steer away from authenticity.

Just a few thoughts and observations.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Again just to be clear. Great looking girl, fantastic artwork, I love women = Love it!!!! ... That being said and painted on a rare B-17 = Hmm!!!! Not sure!

Now where's that wall to hide behind, oh here it it ...
:hide:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 am 

Mark

I understand and tend to agree with you. To take it a step further, I would like to see one of the B-17 restorations underway completed to represent a post-war model, ideally a VB, which are lovely when properly finished in polished aluminum with white trim. Some of these did have names as well, such as Spaatz' Boops. A VB-17G restoration would be ideal for LHF rides too. Of course such a decision would be up to the ownership of a given aircraft.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:57 am 

LOVE that photo! :wink:

As to "unauthentic" schemes, well, at least it's not the '60s-'70s anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:08 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mark, I agree with you completely. Of course this comes with the usual disclaimer, it is their airplane and they can paint it as they wish. I do appreciate the fact that they are flying and being shared with the public. Now, [rant on] I'll take it a step further. Were Mr. Erickson's initials 2' tall on the fuselage of Madras Maiden really necessary? I think the Madras Maiden would have been a perfect opportunity to resurrect a historic paint scheme.

Does anyone know which unit the red tail markings and code is representing?

I also agree with some of the Lewis collections nose art, it is too modern looking for my taste, like something out of a glossy magazine. I love the paint scheme on his Russian B-25 but the nose art doesn't do it for me.

I don't want this to come across as a knock against the artist Gary Velasco, I love some of his other work (Take Off Time, and She's the Boss, for example). Art is subjective, as long as Mr. Erickson is happy, that is what matters. Again, I'd thank him and Mr. Lewis and all the other collectors out there for sharing their toys with us.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:31 am 

For me personally, I would like to see any aircraft restored to a certain period, to look exactly like it was "transported in time" to today.

Not overly dolled-up, not too polished, paint not too shiny, stenciling taped rather than stenciled, etc, etc.

Just as it was.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Appallingly "inaccurate" nose art is just something that gets dished up here and there, part of our landscape. Danged if that ain't one lovely picture, though. :D

Speaking of dishes, I have to wonder if there's something special about that young lady, or if she's just some nameless model?

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:59 am 

I would LOVE to see the return of the some of the civilian paint schemes on a Mustang or two. I especially love the paint scheme on N51T.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yes, there are tons of accurate paint jobs out there that if done right, would be quite stunning. Not that this lovely young lady is not! But, the artwork looks like something a beer co. would do for a liquor store poster.

I know, their plane, their choice. But, I still have an opinion and hopefully I too have the right to express it.

Of all the flying forts out there, with the exception of the ones done in actual war schemes, the belle, Thunderbird, 909 and such, most of these birds have lousy, corny and bad nose art. I was not a fan of the Liberty Belle and Aluminum overcast. I think they are some of the corniest art out there! Well, only AO now, but when LB was around, I cringed at that nose art! And yes, fighters and other types are not immune to bad nose jobs. Jacky C. anyone?

But yet again, they pay the bills on those birds and they make the choices, but, it does not mean we don't have to like it.

And yes, who is she dating on the crew?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Snake45 wrote:

Oh I don't know, some were quite lovely back in the day ... :wink:

On a separate note Mr. Snake, have or has any of your airplane model building folks ever built civilian scheme models? I would think that would be a fun build.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:51 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Snake45 wrote:

Oh I don't know, some were quite lovely back in the day ... :wink:

Those don't particularly thrill me. I can think of a few nice ones on Bearcats, especially Bill Fornoff's.

As to civvie Mustangs, I think this one remains my alltime favorite:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
On a separate note Mr. Snake, have or has any of your airplane model building folks ever built civilian scheme models? I would think that would be a fun build.

I assume you mean civvie-painted warbirds, and not airliners and Cessnas and things like that.

Aside from warbird racers of all eras (postwar to present), I can't really think of too many models I've seen in colorful civvie schemes. Although I have a couple in the works myself. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:04 am 

DATELINE JANUARY 1, 2019

Husband: "Honey I just realized we can now afford to own and operate a B-17 Flying Fortress!!!!"

Wife: "Baby, that is awesome let's get that one that is for sale right now......just remember the pact we made that you would paint an image of me on it and call it the Maiden of Marysville!!"

Husband: "On second thought, we don't really need a B-17 and anyway, the guys at WIX, Flypast and all those modeling sites would be really pissed off if we did that type of un-authentic paint scheme...and I would just hate to piss them off"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

mustanglover wrote:
DATELINE JANUARY 1, 2019

Husband: "Honey I just realized we can now afford to own and operate a B-17 Flying Fortress!!!!"

Wife: "Baby, that is awesome let's get that one that is for sale right now......just remember the pact we made that you would paint an image of me on it and call it the Maiden of Marysville!!"

Husband: "On second thought, we don't really need a B-17 and anyway, the guys at WIX, Flypast and all those modeling sites would be really pissed off if we did that type of un-authentic paint scheme...and I would just hate to piss them off"

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Snake45 wrote:
I assume you mean civvie-painted warbirds, and not airliners and Cessnas and things like that.

That would be correct as Airliners and Cessna's don't count around here :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next