Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:42 pm 

Lodestar (30N) 'Lady Lodestar' shows indications in the overhead that she once had an astrodome installed. She also served at Hondo and may well have been a navigational trainer. The standard nose has plenty of room for noseart, 'Lady Lodestar' and 'Goodtime Gal' both have excellent noseart. Lady's nose could be grafted onto another airframe and returned to original configuration. There is always hope in our hearts that some parts of the Lady return to the air.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Did the CAF sell Lady Lodestar, or what is her status?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:13 pm 

We would be honored to get any part of the Lady back in the air again! I also love the Pinocchia pin-up idea! At least until she gets a nose job.....we need you Arizona ground crew guys!

Vice-President
Stockton Field Aviation Museum
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:38 pm 

Yes, Ober, the CAF sold Lady Lodestar. It was beyond the local squadron's ability to fix her and no one else wanted to take on the restoration. Better she goes to someone who wants her then have her rot away on her parking pad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Obergrafeter wrote:
Did the CAF sell Lady Lodestar, or what is her status?

Yes, and she is now in the hands of Gary Hilton - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53745

TBH, between what Gary has said and what I heard, that anyone had any intention of "repairing" the airplane would've required a miracle of fairly substantial proportions. The wing spar damage done was pretty extensive to the point that not even museums were interested in her for static display.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:03 am 

Taigh Ramey wrote:
She is in good shape in my eyes. She will be flown home. No trailer if I can help it. We need to install the overhauled carbs and change tires and the usual work. We need to get her running and then see what all she wants done before we bring her home.

She looks good but I'm curious about the engines and carbs; awhile back when this ship was listed for sale with Courtesy, the pics showed it sitting outside with engine cowlings removed and the carbs missing... it looked kinda scary since the blower inlets looked wide open to the elements. Is there any obvious rain or FOD damage to the engines? Then again, maybe no worries, not much rain in California these days!

I'm hoping for good engines, will be cool to see your progress on this machine. And on a side note, if anyone has some good wartime C-60 pics, post 'em! Our CAF Houston Wing Lodestar needs a new paint job (someday...), will be curious to see if there are some different schemes out there, although I suspect that the two pics already posted are the typical C-60 look.

John

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This scheme would look fantastic John :wink:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allie ... destar.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:31 am 

Mark, more Loadstar? Please, please, please!!!!!!

Vice-President
Stockton Field Aviation Museum
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dan K wrote:
Taigh,

You felt that "normal" C-60 didn't have the astrodome.

Hey Dan,

Yes I should have never used the word "normal" since I am so early in my learning curve I have no idea what normal might be. I did find a reference to the provision and installation for the Navigators Observing Dome in the parts manual. Aircraft 42-32204 through 42-32217 and 42-55896 through 42-55922 had Installation Dome Provisions and 42-32218 through 42-32232 and 42-55923 through 42-56084 had Installation Navigators Observing Dome.

If I understand that correctly our aircraft had provisions for the dome but may not have actually had the dome from the factory whereas the other referenced group of aircraft may have had the full installation.

When in doubt RTFM!

RV8er wrote:
She looks good but I'm curious about the engines and carbs; awhile back when this ship was listed for sale with Courtesy, the pics showed it sitting outside with engine cowlings removed and the carbs missing... it looked kinda scary since the blower inlets looked wide open to the elements. Is there any obvious rain or FOD damage to the engines? Then again, maybe no worries, not much rain in California these days!
John

I saw the photos of the aircraft sitting outside with the cowling off too and I have had the same concerns so when I visited I pulled a cowl and stuck the camera up there and got this shot:

I am happy that they put covers over the induction opening but who knows whats underneath. This is just one of the many unknowns but it looks like the guys who were working on the aircraft last had some of the same concerns so my fingers are firmly crossed that she will come through without too many problems...knock on wood...

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Taigh Ramey wrote:

When in doubt RTFM!

Please note that if a player can actually "R" but loses "TFM", he may not pass "Go", he may not collect $200, but must go directly to Happy Hour. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:04 pm 

Hey Taigh there was a post in the parts market on wix for some load star wheels and brakes as well as oil coolers very recently but i cant seem to find it. Well any ways good luck with this new project.

Travis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 am 

I couldnt figure out how to edit my last post, in the short time i have to post. but i found the thread with loadstar parts for slae.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53696

Travis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the lead Travis!

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:38 am 

Hey and have her in a grass skirt :)

http://arizonagroundcrew.org/

1940's Army Air Force ground crew living history
(A 501 C 3 organization)
(IYAMYAS)

"Yes sir, it's suppose to look like that"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:37 pm 

I caught you guys making some headway on the Loadster yesterday. Good to see.

Will

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next