Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Couple of questions; Is there a place in England they could fly to, pull out a third Lancaster and have a three ship ground photo?
2) If this event were to inspire a third Lancaster to be restored to flying condition, where and whose Lanc would it be?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Marine Air, yes they will be meeting up with a third Lanc on September 2 and 7. Sounds like they'll be making a few passes over Just Jane. http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

I've heard that Just Jane is under long term restoration to air worthy, she is currently taxiable.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:29 pm 

Taxi run of Just Jane on August 14th

Warbird Videos:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34289

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I don't want to wander too far from the thrust of this thread, but what exactly keeps Just Jane from flying? If they had to fly it for some reason (try to get out of the path of a storm, for example) could they? Is it ferry-able?
kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:54 pm 

tulsaboy wrote:
I don't want to wander too far from the thrust of this thread, but what exactly keeps Just Jane from flying? If they had to fly it for some reason (try to get out of the path of a storm, for example) could they? Is it ferry-able?
kevin

This is the UK, we don't get storms that bad!!

There is a question mark over it's spars I guess. They are starting to do NDT tests on her soon.

The engines are not airworthy (they have 4 zero timed rebuilt airworthy ones in store) plus a clutch of other flight certified parts that will need to be fitted for flight.

She hasn't flown for nearly 45 years, and has been the subject of two dismantles and re-assemblies and was stored outside for 20 years prior to the subsequent 20 years of progressive restoration to taxi-able status.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:03 pm 

Great video of the 2 x Lanc + Vulcan formation here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEsMrITsWA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the "heads up." Just Jane is going to look nice with the other two. THey put put new spars in the BBHMF Lanc in the 1980's. Maybe they could at least have some new spars cut and waiting for when the funding comes through to install and do other corrective measures. There's a huge jump in costs, maybe even more than they have already invested in Just Jane to date, but al it takes is one or two big donors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm 

Firebird wrote:
Great video of the 2 x Lanc + Vulcan formation here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEsMrITsWA

When the bells were ringing, it gave me goose bumps.

Static: F-4C Phantom II, F-15A, T-3 Provost

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Firebird!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:49 am 

Not sure if the true story behind the CWH Lancaster is being told during its journey, having met Pat Brophy and knowing his remarkable story I hope more learn of it. The Lancaster is dedicated to the memory of P/O Andrew Mynarski and is referred to as the “Mynarski Memorial Lancaster”. It is painted in the colours of his aircraft KB726 – VR-A, which flew with RCAF No. 419 (Moose) Squadron. Andrew Mynarski won the Victoria Cross, the Commonwealth’s highest award for gallantry, on June 13, 1944, when his Lancaster was shot down in flames, by a German night fighter. As the bomber fell, he attempted to free the tail gunner trapped in the rear turret of the blazing and out of control aircraft. The tail gunner miraculously survived the crash and lived to tell the story, but sadly Andrew Mynarski died from his severe burns.

In Pat's own words:
"Then I saw him (Mynarski). Andy had slid down from the mid-upper turret and made his way back to the rear escape hatch, about fifteen feet from me. . . He opened the door and was about to jump when he glanced around and spotted me through the plexiglass part of my turret. One look told him I was trapped.

"Instantly, he turned away from the hatch -his doorway to safety -and started towards me. All this time the aircraft was lurching drunkenly as Art tried to keep it on an even keel without instruments. Andy had to climb over the Elsan chemical toilet and crawl over the tailplane spar, as there is no room in that part of the fuselage. These cramped conditions forced him to crawl on his hands and knees -straight through the blazing hydraulic oil. By the time he reached my position in the tail, his uniform and parachute were on fire. I shook my head; it was hopeless. 'Don't try, I shouted, and waved him away.'

"Andy didn't seem to notice. Completely ignoring his own condition in the flames, he grabbed a fire axe and tried to smash the turret free. It gave slightly, but not enough. Wild with desperation and pain, he tore at the doors with his bare hands -to no avail. By now he was a mass of flames below his waist. Seeing him like that, I forgot everything else. Over the roar of the wind and the whine of our two remaining engines, I screamed, 'Go back, Andy! Get out!'

"Finally, with time running out, he realized that he could do nothing to help me. When I waved him away again, he hung his head and nodded, as though he was ashamed to leave -ashamed that sheer heart and courage hadn't been enough. As there was no way to turn around in the confined quarters, Andy had to crawl backwards through the flaming hydraulic fluid fire again, never taking his eyes off me. On his face was a look of mute anguish.

"When Andy reached the escape hatch, he stood up. Slowly, as he'd often done before in happier times together, he came to attention. Standing there in his flaming clothes, a grimly magnificent figure, he saluted me! At the same time, just before he jumped, he said something. And even though I couldn't hear, I knew it was 'Good night, Sir.'"

Left alone in the rear turret, somehow Pat Brophy survived when the Lancaster crashed. Mynarski's descent was seen by the French people on the ground. Both his parachute and clothes were on fire. He was located but was so severely burned that he died of his injuries. The remainder of the crew survived, four successfully evading capture and two others becoming Prisoners of War. At war's end the story of Andy Mynarski was told and a posthumous Victoria Cross awarded. Later, Pat Brophy said, "I'll always believe that a divine providence intervened to save me because of what I had seen, so that the world might know of a gallant man who laid down his life for a friend."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:37 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

K225, thanks for posting that. I've known the CWH as the "Mynarski Memorial Lancaster" but that is the first time I've heard Mynarski's story. Truly heroic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Nice shots of "Just Jane" there...anyone else think they look like they could've been taken at Geneseo...?

S.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:06 am 

Pat Brophy's amazing story of surviving the crash when the tail gunners turret was blown free as the Lancaster exploded is on the Bomber Command Museum of Canada site. The impact is made poignant by this comment: "he removed his helmet and noticed all of his hair remained in it. At that moment, he thought nothing of it."

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/s,brophy.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:03 am 

Ten Merlins in formation, pictured at RAF Conningsby during the PDA (practise display) day, lovely sight and sound....

ImageDSC03660 by seafurysmith, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:43 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Firebird wrote:
tulsaboy wrote:
If they had to fly it for some reason (try to get out of the path of a storm, for example) could they? Is it ferry-able?

This is the UK, we don't get storms that bad!!

Can we quote you on that, Sir?

Yours truly,
The Spanish Armada

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next