Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone been on the behind the scenes tour of late? The museum's restoration page has not been updated since March. Just wondering if restorations are still ongoing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 pm 

Was able to do the a Restoration Shop tour several weeks ago. The first things we saw after entering the building was an Osprey which I think is their latest acquisition. Also near the front was a Stearman (or something close) that our guide said was going to be painted in a Tuskegee scheme. The last plane in the front was a twin engined, twin boomed cargo plane (C119?).
During our tour there was not many workers there-we were told that they kinda work on their own schedule and many were off on Friday afternoons. One guy was working on rudder parts for the USAAF version of the SB2C Helldiver (A-25 I think he said). Also got to see the MIG 25 that was dug out of the desert in Iraq.
Our guide said there is no work going on either Memphis Belle or The Swoose at this time. Apparently they are not in a hurry to get done as we were told neither would be moved until the fourth building is done at the Museum complex. They have a long way to on both. I would say they look the same as the most recent pictures posted here on WIX.
I was able to take a ton of pictures, if there is anything that anyone would like to see, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

67N20 wrote:
Also near the front was a Stearman (or something close) that our guide said was going to be painted in a Tuskegee scheme.

I hear tell that this is a very bad decision regarding this particular airframe.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm 

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:23 pm 

67N20 wrote:
The last plane in the front was a twin engined, twin boomed cargo plane (C119?).

Probably the C-82 Packet. I believe the C-119 is still in the Air Park ... will know for sure this coming Friday when I am on again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm 

67N20, let's see some pictures!

I recently came back from Dayton and couldn't get there on a Friday to see the BTS tour. It's been a while and I would love to see how far they've come on some of their projects (especially Belle and Swoose).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 pm 

Misterg97 wrote:
67N20 wrote:
The last plane in the front was a twin engined, twin boomed cargo plane (C119?).

Probably the C-82 Packet. I believe the C-119 is still in the Air Park ... will know for sure this coming Friday when I am on again.[/quote

You are correct. The C-119 is in the outside display area.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 pm 

TheBigBadGman wrote:
67N20, let's see some pictures!

I recently came back from Dayton and couldn't get there on a Friday to see the BTS tour. It's been a while and I would love to see how far they've come on some of their projects (especially Belle and Swoose).

If I can get Photobucket to co-operate, I'll put some up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:32 pm 

until 67N20 shows the new pics, here's two more from june. I read that he saw the osprey was there, but I have no recollection of it! well, I did take 3 photos. I don't think it grabbed me like the mixmaster or the jetmaster. and here's another swoose shot. so, is that stearman the pre-tuskegee look? it looks nice to me. if a bit too clean....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The CV-22 was an Eglin test bird that was based at Hurlburt for years...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm 

OK, here are a few shots of the Restoration Shop. If any more wanted, let me know.

A V-1 looking thing

The Osprey

The soon to be painted in Tuskegee scheme Stearman

C-82

The MIG25 that was buried in Iraq

The Swoose

All the places the Swoose went

Right front of Memphis Belle

The last of the original paint

Memphis Bellerfrom the rear

The tailgunners position

Some of the graffiti scratched into the tailgunners position

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great pics! You're right, the Belle and Swoose look about the same as when I last saw them nearly two years ago.

The Stearman looks a bit odd..they've put a Navy designation and BuNo on the tail (I assume that's this airframe's actual provenance?) That plane hung from the ceiling for many years in the usual USAAF blue and yellow scheme. Last time I took the shop tour she had just been brought in for a desperately needed recovering. I don't mind the silver finish, but the Navy markings seem a bit odd.

Here's what the Stearman looked like before they started work on her. As you can see the fabric was really getting bad.

SN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

67N20 wrote:
Was able to do the a Restoration Shop tour several weeks ago. The first things we saw after entering the building was an Osprey which I think is their latest acquisition. Also near the front was a Stearman (or something close) that our guide said was going to be painted in a Tuskegee scheme. The last plane in the front was a twin engined, twin boomed cargo plane (C119?).
During our tour there was not many workers there-we were told that they kinda work on their own schedule and many were off on Friday afternoons. One guy was working on rudder parts for the USAAF version of the SB2C Helldiver (A-25 I think he said). Also got to see the MIG 25 that was dug out of the desert in Iraq.
Our guide said there is no work going on either Memphis Belle or The Swoose at this time. Apparently they are not in a hurry to get done as we were told neither would be moved until the fourth building is done at the Museum complex. They have a long way to on both. I would say they look the same as the most recent pictures posted here on WIX.
I was able to take a ton of pictures, if there is anything that anyone would like to see, let me know.

Geez, I thought the plan was to finish the Memphis Belle ASAP and get it on display. Originally they were going to place the Memphis Belle in the WW2 area and ship ShooShooBaby to the NASM. With the layout I have seen of the new (4th) building, there is no room there for B-17 or maybe 2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:24 pm 

I hear the Belle will still go into WWII and Shoo Shoo go to Washington. There is a specific date in mind when the Belle will be rolled out and into the Museum. Unfortunately, I'm having another "senior moment" and can't remember what I was told other than it has something to do with the Belle itself.

Probably shouldn't have even written this since it is adding concrete info. I'll be at the Museum tomorro AM for a shift and perhaps I can find out.

Thinking back ... how about May 17, 2018 the 75th Anniversary of Mission 25?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, thats a longs ways off!