Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I can think of about six "treasure troves" of aircraft stuff I've seen; two were private collections, two were museum-related, and two were chiefly aircraft parts businesses. All are known about within the vintage aviation community, and none is what you'd call remotely-located...

Walter Soplata collection, Ohio (anything and everything, 30+ years ago...)
Thomson/Rubin collection, Ontario (mostly ex-CF jets and parts thereof)
Nanton Lancaster Society offsite store, Alberta (mostly BCATP trainers and parts)
Memorial Military Museum (Carlaw collection), Ontario (ex-RCAF/CF jets/militaria)
O'Con Aircraft, Ontario (CF jet parts and BCATP trainers and parts)
Gamble Aircraft, Ontario (mainly light plane components; rare Found FBA2 retrieved from here for TAM)

One more that is kinda remote is Kuby Aircraft in northwestern Ontario...lots of busted-up bush planes...

Fun thread. Especially if it shakes loose anything firsthand from a "mythical" collection...oh and yes, the P-39 in the old hangar thing rings a bell (or should that be a Bell!) with me too. I think there was also said to be a Wildcat or similar in the same place, and both were slated to join a museum collection...the fly in the ointment being that apparently the two fighters were nonexistent, at least by that date.

S.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

FWIW....while looking for a certain aircraft, I came across this museum collection in BC. They have real old timers there.

http://www.bcam.net/bc-aviation-museum-aircraft.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I just got the threat warning as well.

Might be best to remove it.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Link works for me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That link was fine for me.. no threat warning

________

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DH82EH wrote:
I just got the threat warning as well.

Might be best to remove it.

Andy

No worries. Got rid of it in case it is corrupt. These are from the Jaws Marine site when Googled.

PB4Y

PV2

F4F

Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That PB4Y has to be the only unmolested airframe with the original engine mounts, engines, and cowlings still in place. Somebody recover her!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:15 pm 

Two Spitfires apparently..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Plain.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:23 am 

Rossco wrote:

Gotta love some elements of the media. This is way-old news.

For example;
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... or-Mark-12

See my Lee-Enfield videos at - http://www.youtube.com/user/Jollygreenslugg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:40 am 

This month's issue of one of my car magazines had a story about a "collection" of rare and desirable musclecars that have been sitting in some guy's barn (actually, a converted house trailer) since the '70s/'80s. They're just as he bought them back then, usually as dirt-cheap used cars. They're not restored nor pristine, but they're not rusting away, either. This "collection" has been largely unknown until now (the article doesn't give any clue as to where it is or who owns it).

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that there might be similar warbird finds out there still to be discovered--a Mustang in a barn, or a Corsair or even something like an A-20. It's fun to think about, anyway. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What about Michael Coutches? Doesn't he have a couple/three mustangs in storage?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
What about Michael Coutches? Doesn't he have a couple/three mustangs in storage?

Think you will find chances are they are no more than paperwork for Mustangs disposed of years previously. Which doesn't mean that they can't be re-utilized down the road...

T J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm 

Went to see a old friend today, (sorry for the bad picture) The T-6 on the right he has owned since 1960 when he bought it for $260 and the Harvard on the left is also complete with the wings off for paint. Both were completely built from new old stock and a very very few overhauled parts. Funny thing is he has repainted the T-6 twice since 1960 and never flown it higher than a foot off the ground. Second repaint was to put it back to military scheme. The Harvard was completely rebuilt from a wreck with no flight time since. He also has a mint 300 hp Stearman he has owned since 1981 and has put less than 200 hours on it since then. All completely tucked away in old dilapidated buildings. That's not mentioning his assortment of mixed T-6 parts tucked away in shipping containers.

Last edited by Speeddemon651 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Those Texans remind me of a Harvard 4 that was parked in one of the (non-CWH) hangars at Mt.Hope for years. I got a photo of it once through a rear window. Many years later that Harvard made its way into the care of CHAA, with whom I think it is still flying.

The Texans also make me think of the famous "Gananoque Ghost", an ex-RCAF Canso (PBY-5A built by Canadian Vickers in Montreal), partially civilianised but still wearing 95% of its 1950s RCAF paint, that was stored in a single-bay BCATP pattern hangar at the old Gananoque relief airfield near Kingston, Ontario. It took up the whole hangar, but with that huge high wing, plenty of room for light planes was clear underneath the "Ghost", and several shared the hangar with the Canso. I visited sometime around 2000 and took a few 35mm pix, which I've still got somewhere. The story was that a doctor had bought the Canso surplus and stored it at Gananoque, never flying it and only once in a great while pulling it out for engine runs. When I saw it, many years later, it was still in very decent nick. Chances are it's still there...

S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Steve,
the Gananoque Ghost is reportedly sold to a US buyer..

________

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next