Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

eze240 wrote:
Being that crashed planes are not unlike ship wrecks.....It would not surprise me if there is actually little left of the Corsair....
Of course the legend tends to claim it is pretty well complete, etc......in a few more years it will probably be believed to have guns,ammo and a load of spanish gold bars on board......

They don't even have to be underwater. I was once chatting with another visitor at the Yankee Air Museum who claimed that when the Lancaster was first put on a pole over in Windsor they forgot to remove the guns, and by the time someone remembered they had all been stolen. I tried to politely tell him that all the armament had been removed many years earlier when she was reconfigured for SAR duties, but he wouldn't hear of it..his story was much cooler! He also claimed that parts for WWII warbirds are easy to get, because the military still has thousands of them sitting in mothballs out in the desert or on islands in the Pacific. In fact I still regularly run across people who are convinced that there are masses of WWII aircraft just quietly sitting desert storage. Of course the average person can't tell a B-17 from a C-130. It's not that they're stupid, it's just not a subject in which they have any knowledge or interest. I'm an airplane geek, but I personally doubt I could tell the difference between weaponry from the American Revolution and the Civil War (separated by nearly a century.)

Back to the original topic, a guy in our model club was telling me once about a collector in Indiana (not Dean Kruse) who had a bunch of WWII military vehicles, and a largely complete Japanese Zero. The collector was supposedly very private, but had once showed my friend and his buddies around the treasure trove (sometime in the 80s as I recall.) He claimed to have gotten inside the Zeke, and I think he's knowledgeable enough to tell if it was just some old T-6 or the real thing.

SN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:55 pm 

Steve Nelson wrote:

Back to the original topic, a guy in our model club was telling me once about a collector in Indiana (not Dean Kruse) who had a bunch of WWII military vehicles, and a largely complete Japanese Zero. The collector was supposedly very private, but had once showed my friend and his buddies around the treasure trove (sometime in the 80s as I recall.) He claimed to have gotten inside the Zeke, and I think he's knowledgeable enough to tell if it was just some old T-6 or the real thing.

SN

Is this the museum you are thinking about? http://www.ropkeyarmormuseum.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm just curious, how many stories do you hear about 'collections' that turn out to be nothing? There was a long standing story of someone who had several WW2 planes and a T-38(!) in a barn in North Florida. It wasn't very well known but a few people swore they were there. I got to visit the place and found the reamins of a very tattered biplane of some kind (no wings, probably would collapse if you leaned on it) and clear signs nothing else had ever been there.
Like Steve Nelson mentioned earlier, it's amazing how fast these stories can blow up. These days, I'll only pay attention if someone can specifically name what they've seen and would swear they've seen it with their own eyes. If you press long enough, most people will admit they've never seen the stuff in person and are only going on what someone else said.
Even then, I'm always skeptical.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I remember posting a news piece many years ago, on one of the incarnations of this board, about a collection (That I had never heard about) of warbirds out of Arizona that included a P-39 or P-400 being available for donation... It was NOT The Champlin collection. Never heard anymore about it..
Does the story ring a bell with any of you other old timers?

Last edited by Warbirdnerd on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 pm 

as a kid on a bike ride in the mid to late '70's, I KNOW I spied a P-51D fuselage just inside a warehouse on Deerfield road, north of Cincinnati. exactly where the indoor gun range is now. nowadays there is the mustang Cincinnati Miss, a nameplate rebuild (?). I've wondered if it could be the same one, but of course many other things are more likely. that's all I got. more along the lines of my old B-29 in a ditch posting, i.e. long-gone!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 am 

Back in the early 90's i heard that Bob Schlaffly in Wash irrc had a Mustang in his barn. Bob had some PB4Y slurry bombers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:25 pm 

In 2000 or 2001, several warbirds came to Knoxville for a Veteran's Day celebration, including the Missouri Wing's B-25 "Show Me" and their TBM Avenger as well as the A-26 "Spirit of Carolina." The BAHF "Spirit of Freedom" was there too. Anyhow, the Avenger was parked next to a nearby hangar. At one point, somebody :shock: checked a door handle and it was unlocked. Inside, an bare metal P-47. It had an N-number so I wrote that down and later sent it to Baugher for reference. Turned out that it was "Wicked Wabbit" before the paint job.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:58 pm 

I'd ike to find this one - only about 2000 lakes to search! :(

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/mullerr.html

regards

MS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jeremy S wrote:
Steve Nelson wrote:

SN

Is this the museum you are thinking about? http://www.ropkeyarmormuseum.com/index.html

The name "Ropkey" does sound familiar..but I'm not sure where the story of the supposed Zero fits in.

SN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:30 pm 

Over the past 17 years of hunting Warbirds and vintage aircraft, I have come across many cool finds. You never know how close something that you are looking for can be. I found a warehouse that had at least three Stearmans, one Stinson 108, BT-15, lots of engines and parts all over. It was right on the fence line of the Gillespie field, San Diego. Every time we took off from 27R I would look at that warehouse and never thought it would have such a treasure in it. Found the owner and he had two more warehouses full of the same. He ended up passing away and everything was sold off.
I have found many places like that. I'm on the trail of one now. Found a guy that has a friend that has some plane in a building that is really old and has a round engine on it. (T-6, Stearman, BT-13,15 ?) I hope to go see this plane soon.
I never give up looking and talking to people. I have traveled to other states just on a story and I do find stuff. There are still finds out there!!!!! Just think of how many buildings are in your town. :hide:

Eric Miller
Project Warbird Salvage/Museum
http://www.projectwarbird.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sonar imagery of the Lake Washington fleet. It shows 8 different airframes "still out there".

Some folks are reporting a suspect link here so I got rid of it.

Last edited by CoastieJohn on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 pm 

http://www.boydski.com/diving/Lake_Wash ... Wrecks.htm
This site has some good pictures of some of the wreck the preservation is amazing

This tug sank in 1922

PB4Y

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 pm 

these two lumps would seem to be hub assemblies - found anywhere else i would probably say truck - but they are quite far apart either side of a creek mouth in the intertidal zone of a bay south of Cooktown which gets a lot of flotsam and jetsam washed in from the Coral Sea - so of course i wondered - if tyres were attached could they have floated in ... no shortage of wrecks out from Cairns back in the day.
and at least 200 yards north;
OTOH - they would seem mostly ferrous, the obvious dissimilar being something like a brass breather cap on each ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:58 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

CoastieJohn wrote:
Sonar imagery of the Lake Washington fleet. It shows 8 different airframes "still out there".

ht tp://www.jawsmarin e.com/blog/category/lake-washington/

Got a threat warning on that link.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:26 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chris Brame wrote:
CoastieJohn wrote:

ht tp://www.jawsmarin e.com/blog/category/lake-washington/

Got a threat warning on that link.

May have to look for another link with the sonar images from Lake Washington.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next