Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Name that airshow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:56 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Sorta got off topic on another thread when I posted the picture below. My question to you all is "what airshow was this picture taken at"? I already know the answer since I took the photo, I was just wondering who many junior detectives we have out there. I will tell you this since I already offered it on the other thread: The B 17 in the background is Fuddy Duddy and no, the picture was not taken at Batavia. I will add some more pics when I get them scanned in.

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:22 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Ok, I got them scanned in a uploaded a couple to the host I use.

Here's Fuddy Duddy:

And if you attended this particular show maybe, just maybe, you saw this guy (I would think that a 1918 FWD would stand out in a persons memory):

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:23 pm 
GENESEO about 1988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:26 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Very good guess, but no it's not Geneseo. I've always wanted to go but have not managed to. Yet. :wink:

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:43 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

And just as I was about to post this picture and call it a night. Very good Rob :D you win a cookie. (To paraphrase Don Rickles in Kelly's Heros)

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the rotor attached to the FWD gives it another edge? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:21 pm 
WRG Associate Editor

Holy moley! Old school! I wish I was around for those shows... Manchester is so different now and I can't imagine them having an airshow there now... so commercial. You managed to get a load of planes in the shot that are very close to me... I grew up with Dr. Bill and the P-40 (heck, he was my orthodontist! made my teeth straight!). Fuddy Duddy was the flagship of the NWM while I was volunteering there... I can still smell that chemical smell inside her that never seemed to leave, brings back memories. And the Hoosier Honey (now Tondelayo) is one of the planes I work with on a day to day basis now... but rarely see ironically!

Ryan Keough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:30 am 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

I only have a couple minutes this morning and then it's off to work. Since you seem to be enjoying this trip back through time I 'll upload some more of these tonight. I was fortunate that day to be hanging out with fellow military vehicle collectors from the Merrimack Valley Military Vehicle Club (I'm with the Green Mountain group(GMMVC)) and did not have to go behind the crowd control fence. I and my Instamatic were on the back side of the flightline during the aerial display so I was able to get some better than average shots (for an Instamatic anyway, I'm not award winning stuff here.) Thats how I got the P 40 shot I started this all out with. Here's one more for now with a few more to come. (now I REALLY need to get to work)

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow.
theres a few things I havent seen in a while!
I knew it was an Escadrille show when I saw the barrells,
Remember when Mr. Cooper spun the C-45 around and hit one of those @#$% things :?

those were the days...

When the P-40 the Cat and the B-17 were based at the same grass strip
When the Escadrille still existed
When the Great White Father/Reese D./Bob C./Jim V. were all members of the same Group (and almost talked to each other) :lol:
When the F9-F or the Wildcat was a regular sight around New England
When Ed was flying the Vampire almost every weekend
When I could actually say I did not know Rob :shock:

At Manchester I got to see...
Fuddy Duddy in duct tape
The DC-3 On floats taxiing above everything and then do a high speed pass that was awe inspiring
The Passion Wagon!!!
A Razorback P-47
2, I repeat, 2 B-24s At An airshow together!
The catalina always had the cowlings open, being repaired
Danny in the Yak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:28 pm 

I don't remember any airshows at Manchester when I lived there(1983-1985). Did I miss out?! I do remember seeing what I recall as being a Loadmaster parked out there at the time, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:33 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Did someone say F9F?

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:00 pm 

Could someone please enlighten those of us who weren't there? "Great White Father" has completely baffled this midwesterner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:07 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

I remember seeing the F9F at the Schenectady NY show (1988) but wow. I remember that like yesterday. Also seeing 6 B-17s flying together over a dust strip (as it was in the year 88)

Back to the F9F what is the story on that, history and what became of it. I have always wanted to know. Is that is Cavanaugh in TX?

I also reallyt miss the SAC shows at Griffus, I really miss the cold war :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:12 am 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Well, having somewhat recovered from yesterday, heres your wednesday installment:

I remember it was quite crowded around these two and I was lucky to get a break where I could snap these.

More later.

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey,
Great shots!

the panther is sitting next to Larry's T-33, the one rumored to finally be sold!
It sat , and sat and sat until last summer, I heard it flew a month or so ago with Larry and Sandy Rosell (Blue Angels T-33 @ MHT years ago)
and next thing that came through the rumor mill was that he sold it!!!

As for the "great white father", Also known as "Skippy", I loved it when Russ used to call him that. He is a well known local piece of New England Warbird folklore. He stands inches above everybody, can change moods very quickly, and dont ever buy him a drink because it will never be the one he wanted,( I watched him trade in a Cooors light for a white Zinf. once)
He is well known for being kicked out of almost every airport in the eastern new england area, and pissing off all of his crew members from time to time, But! , he really isnt all that bad.
My favorite reference for him was the day we were expecting a bad t-storm at KBED and he was going around the ramp checking all the other tie down people to see if their ropes were tight
We went to alot of good airshows in his C-1A (136788) which he still owns and may fly again someday, back in the days of these pictures he owned an orange and white T-28 (N88AW) and has a really nice old C-150 :wink:
His most recent airplane is a Cessna O-2, Vet with history and the factory smoke system
Last sunday Shannon and I were hanging out with him and a few other friends at our new favorite hang out, on the porch at Plum Island airport (2B2) in newburyport, MA. Great place to be on a hot day, good food when the grille is going, and airplanes!