Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Light Aircraft PTY LTD Sydney NSW

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:32 pm

I have had this item for years and would like to know what it is. It came with a bunch of WWII items many years ago but has no ID other than the cloth tag. Can anybody help me identify the era and application? Thanks,

*mod edit to change spelling. Not that it's a biggie* ;)

Re: Light Aircraft PTY LTD Sidney NSW

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:31 am

Dominion Parachute bag, light aircraft pty ltd made parachutes for beaufighter, Beaufort and other crews in ww2

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:32 am

obviously RAAF

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 am

Dominion Parachute Company
manufactured by
Sydney Light Aircraft Company

I've not handled anything similar in my experience, the zippers to me indicate something stowed and not used readily. Its not the right shape for a main or reserve chute IMO, could equally be immediate postwar as well. Just my two cents :supz:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:14 am

Please, please, please. it is "Sydney NSW" not Sidney as in the person.
No need for the spelling police please.
Cheers and Beers.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:10 am

And a little note, as some may not be familiar with it - 'Pty. Ltd.' is common in Australia, and stands for 'Proprietary Limited', similar (but legally distinct to) the familiar 'Ltd.' in the US and UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_company

Trivia over, back to regular programming. :D

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:49 am

I'm pretty sure you will find its a survival kit stowage bag for the seat dinghys. 1950's/1960's era

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks all for your input. I had a hunch it was some type of survival kit with all the pouches and zippers. It sure made it a long way from Australia to Baltimore, Maryland!

Sorry for the mis-spelling of Sydney.

Re: Light Aircraft PTY LTD Sydney NSW

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 am

Your right mate, all is forgiven..
Cheers and beers..
Post a reply