Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I didn't realize how much of this ground we'd already covered. But then I just turned 50, so I suppose I may be just getting old and senile. :wink:

When I initially photographed the Stuka they had it hanging in a different hall, way up near the ceiling and diving down on the Spit. It's now in a different hall, hung lower (oh get your mind out of the gutter!) and better lit. They also seem to be making more of an effort to keep it dusted. The Spit is now also more appropriately posed in an attacking position. Trying to save Christmas from the Luftwaffe, apparently.

Those old threads mention a couple of early pics of the Chicago Stuka that I've never seen (including one taken in Canada) but the links are long dead. Does anybody have the pics and if so can you repost them?

SN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:04 am 
KiwiZac

Has anyone seen any plans at all for the siren? I think it'd be an interesting exercise to build one.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I poster on another website added great information to the four photos I posted originally. Nice to know the history of those photos. Neat stuff always and a big thanks to G.R. Morrison

"Most, if not all, were shot by Ernst-August Niermann, who flew numerous missions with the StG. 2 "Immelmann" during 1942.

The first photo is the Ju 87D-1 of the Kommodore, Major Paul-Werner Hozzel, who had led the first long-range Stuka unit, the I/StG. 1 with great success over Norway in 1940, then led the StG. 2. He flew more than 400 missions, surviving the war and Soviet captivity ('til 1956), to join the Bundesluftwaffe with the same rank he'd had in 1945!

The second and third photo show a mix of Ju 87D-1 and D-3 of 4./StG. 2, T6+EM (which was damaged in a Soviet bombing attack on 12.August 1942) and T6+IM in the second picture, and T6+HM in the third.

The last photo shows a tight formation of the 2./StG. 2, with T6+KK in the near foreground. You can easily see the supplemental cockpit armor added to the D-3. The 'Scotty dog' unit emblem (here on a red disc) was a depiction of Major Hitschold's dog, "Molch."

The sirens first came into use during the French campaign. They were only rarely seen on the 'R' model Stukas because of the extra drag they produced. The 'cardboard' sirens may be a mistranslation referring to the cardboard tubes that could be attached to some Luftwaffe ordnance. These were cut to act like a one-note whistle / flute that shrieked as it came toward you.

GRM"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 pm 

I read about that auto pull up years ago. Said the pilot had to start the pull out and take over when g force went up. It also said the germans did a study and found middle aged pilots handled the g load the best. How true that is I don't know

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:27 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

dirtysidedown430 wrote:
I read about that auto pull up years ago. Said the pilot had to start the pull out and take over when g force went up. It also said the germans did a study and found middle aged pilots handled the g load the best. How true that is I don't know

NASA found the same thing which is one reason why there are no young astronauts. The Romanian AF in WWII had an average fighter pilot age well into the 30's and had a very high individual success rate too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I imagine the closest, most successful American equivalent would be the SBD/A-24 Dauntless - how did it compare in performance to the Stuka?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:41 pm 

My parents grew up in Scotland during the Battle of Britain, they have mentioned the sirens on the Stukas.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:28 am 

Does anyone know if there are any exisiting sirens around, or if there are any paperwork that shows how they were built? I need to find or construct one for a sound recording.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:00 am 

Audioslave74 wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any exisiting sirens around, or if there are any paperwork that shows how they were built? I need to find or construct one for a sound recording.

I would like to hear one!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's a different type of "noise maker" that must have been terrifying to hear as well. You will see them attached to the bombs being loading on these Stuka's in Finland. Stunning detail in these photos which are very rare to find anywhere else. The Finnish Archives where these photos came from are easily the best around IMO. We're lucky to have access to them.
http://sa-kuva.fi/

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:05 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

FWIW and apropos of the Ju-87 Stuka:

During the early to mid 80s, I was having one of "them" hangar talk sessions with some well traveled and interesting characters.

One of them, mentioned having seen a Junkers Jumo (IIRC) that used to be attached to a Stuka, being used in a mountain town in Spain, to power the pump for their water well.

This was before internet times, so research was very limited, and I had forgot this for the last 30 years.

Anyone has heard anything regarding this, or was it likely, just another BS story?

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tulio, we have four water wells on the ranch, two being pumped by Merlins and two being pumped by R-2800's. We're still trying to figure out which two are pumping faster ... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

R-2800... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:03 am 

The JU87 was originally designed to be flown with the Rolls Royce Kestral Engine, 10 of which were purchased for this purpose. The prototype crashed in 1935 due to structural failure. Obvious the use of a british engine was frowned upon and changes made. Interestingly the Messerschmitt Bf 109 prototype also was flown with the Rolls Royce Kestral initially.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:17 pm 

I love Stukas. Great thread. Thanks