Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ULITHI ...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Zim wrote:
I'm in need of more pictures for sure. I'd send you a email by PM if I could. Think it is ok to put like a yahoo email here? Then I'll give you a better one

Of course it is. That's fine.

Not sure about the three Japanese soldiers Tom, my guess would they were left there as perhaps the Japanese version of coast watchers? would have been a terrifying sight for sure. :wink:

M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

guessed that, as well as the premise that they were a shot down aircrew, or survivors of a sinking......... pop1 geek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Good for you my friend, it sounds like a real nice project. Anything to keep the flame bright for the vets and kin is a great thing and I'm all for it. You let me know if I can assist you in any way. I have hundreds of rarely seen Okinawa photos as well.

Very best of luck ... and make em proud as I know you will ;)

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm 

RE: USS Mississinewa - . When I lived in Sparta,NJ I met an old vet who ran an antique store downtown. We talked. He saw my navy ballcap so he opened up. HE was a radioman on USS Mississinewa. Much of the crew were black sailors and one of his comments was gross but sadly accurate -- "Those poor sailors burned up in a terrible stench of death - the same smell as burning white sailors". I never forgot that. I did a short interview with him on tape a few weeks later but as is typical when you do a "formal" interview - the story gets carefully pieced together and much of the passion is not there. I wanted to interview him some more and had him on my list to come back but he died soon after. I think this was about 1995. A diver made contact with me a few years ago from some post -- and was interested in what he had to say about the location which was near the entrance to the harbor. They were caught going out past the net but had (I think) gone ahead of the protective destroyer screen. The mini sub was right there. I read later of the ship USS Mississinewa (which was brand new) was to replace in the fleet so the other ship could get repairs and overhauls having been constantly at sea since the start. THAT ship (name not recalled just now) ended up being the LONGEST CONSTANTLY DEPLOYED ship of the US NAVY in the entire war. They never got a break for overhaul. It was another river name. I try to post clips from most of the veteran interviews I do on youtube. See http://www.me3tv.org (my youtube channel). I sent many of my interviews to the Library of Congress project of Veteran Interviews. I have copies of those and more and want to research a museum or college library that would take them and put them into a long term project for catalog and online video (youtube) type presentations.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:46 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Very moving story. We tend to get caught up in the machines and battles and sometimes overlook the human side of war.

On a tangential side-note, whenever visiting my wife's family in Indiana we cross over a Mississinewa River. Is this the same one the ship was named for? Also, does anyone know how it's pronounced?

SN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:35 pm 

My Father was on the USS Mississinewa when it got hit in the Ulithi Atoll. He told some harrowing stories and had burns on his legs from swimming through the burning oil. He retired in 1955 off the USS Boxer here in San Diego.
Mike Rankin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for sharing your father's story Mike, greatly appreciated. Your father served his country well and you have much to be proud of.

Thanks

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:47 am 

My daughter-in-law's granddad was the Navy doctor at Ulithi. As the ranking officer on the island, the island Chief made him the Assistant Chief. As such, the Chief would put in request "chits" for items from the military which Doc Wales had to try to round up. He was there through the end of the war and continued services in the USNR until his retirement in the 70's/80's as a four striper Captain. He lives in Lockhart, TX where he had set up a medical practice and, of course, is now retired from. Great guy! Has a pletora of pics from his days there as the official Navy photographer worked for him. One that I thought was interesting was of his medical staff which included local girls serving as nurses...sans tops...don't know how he kept his Corpsmen (Pharmacy Mates) focused on the tasks at hand. He did say that the Chief and the locals really hated the Japanese who had occuppied the island at some point since they killed locals and raped the women/girls...he said that you could tell that some of the younger Ulithians were indeed Japanese offspring. His mind is sharp as a tack and tells lots of interesting stories about those years. I sent him a link to this site and he really enjoyed seeing it. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Lee72, CAPT USN (Ret)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 pm 

For those that are interested in the USS Mississinewa, there is a website and a new book by Mike Mair, who is the son of a surviving crew member and the ship's de facto historian. The title, Kaiten, available at Amazon, is the parallel development of the Japanese suicide submarine and the AO-59. The last section describes the fate of many of the crew during its final moments. As far as a black crew, one of my heros, and a remarkable man, was Raleigh Peppers. A black crew member, they were only allowed to be stewards or kitchen help, he was the only black survivor that I'm aware of. He was discussing the breakfast menu with Captain Beck when the Kaiten hit. The forward quarters where the black crew was berthed, was adjacent to the #3 tank complex, the point of impact. I met Raleigh at the Palo Alto VA, where he was succumbing to prostate cancer. His story was an editorial in Naval History Magazine, after I published my account of locating the ship. We spent many hours together and often brought my family to share his wisdom. He never spoke of the ship or wanted to see the slides until my wife came and he could speak to a women who actually dove on the ship. At that point the dam broke and I have hours of tapes on the Miss story. I traced his Navy history on a world map. He vividly recalled all his ports but had no idea where they were. Soon afterwards, the cancer won. His daughters often share holidays with us. No matter what their billet, the vets interesting and remarkable folks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:47 pm 

The below urls tell the story of Marine Bombing Squadron VMB 611's experiences aboard the troop ship SS Zoella Lykes at Ulithi:

https://www.facebook.com/112238262150764/photos/a.113003435407580.5682.112238262150764/113587158682541/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/112238262150764/photos/a.113003435407580.5682.112238262150764/113587168682540/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/112238262150764/photos/a.113003435407580.5682.112238262150764/113004855407438/?type=3&theater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:33 pm 

I visited Ulithi numerous times in 1969 and 70 flying the HU-16D Albatross (hence my log in name). Most memorable was the Outer Island High School gradation visit, taking Adm. Pugh (COMNAV MARINAS) for the ceremonies. The topless grass skirt girls were dancing to a strangely familiar tune (obviously learned from "Western" sailors" of the fleet anchorage) - RED RIVER VALLEY. Yep that's what it was.
Alias: Cap'n Crump - Heloman, Unrestricted Phu Khen Naval Aviator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:49 pm 

albatross wrote:
I visited Ulithi numerous times in 1969 and 70 flying the HU-16D Albatross (hence my log in name). Most memorable was the Outer Island High School gradation visit, taking Adm. Pugh (COMNAV MARINAS) for the ceremonies. The topless grass skirt girls were dancing to a strangely familiar tune (obviously learned from "Western" sailors" of the fleet anchorage) - RED RIVER VALLEY. Yep that's what it was.
Alias: Cap'n Crump - Heloman, Unrestricted Phu Khen Naval Aviator

I was out to Ulithi in 96 & 97 with a couple of teams to repair Typhoon damage to the OIHS. We were there each time during graduation and the same traditions were still alive and well then. One other memorable thing was during a walk through the village area we noted a native lady with a Corsair canopy strategically placed over her outdoor cooking fire to help shield it from a sudden rain squall.

Last edited by CraigQ on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That's pretty cool Mark!
Robbie 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey thx Robbie, now we need to find more photos of your dad with his P-51. There out there, I know they are. pop2

Happy Holidays my friend

M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:21 pm 

Anyone know if the Hornet was there? My dad was a POW in the PI and the ship that was transporting him to Japan and to Manchuria was attacked and sunk by Hornet pilots

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next