Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:44 pm 

Not to get too "political" or OT but, you will probably find that the decision to scrap various aircraft goes way up the chain of command, to the highest civilian levels.......
This is something happening with more than just aircraft. Basically anything that would have been used to support a major war effort is being disposed of, for various reasons, weather it be age,etc....
Soon there is going to be no more stratiegic reserve and no way to fight on two fronts, much less a major war.....
Why else do you think the navy would be so quick to bow to some Eviro- wackos crying about lead paint in Suisun bay?
Granted, many of those ships were in poor condition and inoperable.....but they could have been made useable in a matter of weeks, as opposed to replacing them in a matter of years...
Think about it....if North Korea attacks South Korea, the thinking most put forward is, we'll ship in troops by plane. But what happens if the South Koreans get overrun? That could happen in a week or so.....So now, you have to get troops in there how?
You can only use air transport if you control the skies and have a place to land them.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:32 pm 

John Dupre wrote:
I don't see why all the now surplus T-34Cs have to be completely scrapped and not offered for sale to enthusiasts. .

I can tell you that the Charlies have hit the fatigue life limit on the wing forward carry through's and the wing spars, in most cases.
I also believe that there is an agreement with Beech Aircraft that the Government wouldn't sell the airplanes as a condition to purchase the T-6's.
Beech doesn't want to see a bunch of civilians showing up in the papers dogfighting and folding the wings up like on the heritage -34's. Think product liability here.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:59 am 

The russians reverse engineered the B-29 and built hundreds of copys so I think the iranians. Could copy some parts.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm convinced a country can get anything it wants on the black market or from our "friends" Remember Saddam Hussein's German desgined and built bunker? Or the French Aerocet missiles used by the Argentinians in the Falkland War? CHina and Russia will build/ produce anything you want unless its a weapon of mass destruction.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

screw the spare parts scarcity, you know what ever aircraft the Iranian government bought from the u.s. prior to the deposing of the shah, who was a staunch u.s. ally, at least came w/ flight manuals / technical information. iran has more than the manufacturing capability to re-produce spare parts than the world gives them credit for. hence those f-14's / f-4's are still more of a threat than all the cocky world powers think.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am impressed that Iran can keep them flying, numbers seem to vary but a dozen or so "operational" F-14's is impressive by anyone. A huge contrast to other countries in the area that rely extensiveley on outside support or contractors to keep their fleet going, for training etc.

I'm a huge Tomcat fan, but I am realistic about it. They were getting very tired. The Super-bug is a good replacement, and yes it has about 10% of the charm of the Tomcat, but still a good airplane.

I agree the Navy is a little over the top on wrecks and letting demilled things go, but I do think the liability is a real factor. Perhaps we should not blame the Navy, but the legal system and ambulance chasers. If a ex-Navy T-34C augered in you can bet the Navy would eventually be subject to a lawsuit.