Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

unpublished, detailed soplata pics circa 2003

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:55 pm

I had the honor & privilege of touring walter soplata's collection in 2003 w/ my best friend, who was asked to survey his howard aircraft for sale. I got the FULL TOUR!! the entire grounds, inside & under his house as well. nobody has seen pics like these!! wix member cherry bomber 13 has been kind enough to post these pics on his own time, & there are plenty of them. he's going to take the time mark allen does w/ his posted pics. very generous of both of you to devote your time for the pleasure & knowledge to all members of this board. i'm a computer ding dong, in the age group that is in the void to technology. thank drew, not me, as me & photobucket don't get along, & I just had windows 8 installed which is a royal clusterf**k. I can answer any questions regarding any of the pics, don't hesitate to ask them. the ball is in cherry bomber 13's court now, so enjoy!!!

Re: unpublished, detailed soplata pics circa 2003

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks for sharing Tom, and thanks for posting Drew. I eagerly await to see what goodies we will see in the pictures.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Tom, it's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only old crock around who cant operate Photobucket.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Here we Go! Tom thanks for allowing me help share these photos. Ill be doing a set each day so sit back and enjoy!

All Photos are copyright of Tom D. Friedman.

F7U BuE#129685
ImageF7U BuE#129685 by Cherry Bomb Photography, on Flickr

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:02 pm

note for perspective how far the nose gear of the cutlass has sunk in the dirt w/ me under it, & i'm 5 foot 9 foot inches tall!!

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:18 pm

I cant't even imagine trying to land that thing on a carrier...

Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:05 am

Thanks all,
Looking forward to what shows up next.
That Cutlass is one funny lookin' aircraft!

Andy

Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:24 am

Where's the F7U now?

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:10 am

Cherrybomber13 wrote:I cant't even imagine trying to land that thing on a carrier...

I can't even imagine how he got that thing to his backyard...! :shock:

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 am

APG85 - As I recall, Walter had bought an old school bus, cut the back end off of bus, then had Naval Air Station personnel push fuselage into bus after wings and nose gear removed or collapsed. He indicated to me that during his trip from Squantum (I think thats where it was at), he was stopped more then once for oversize load, then he figured that police/state patrol would probably call ahead to warn next town - thus he rolled up several hundred dollars in fines during trip. He brought back wings on his trailer with 1955 Chevy Panel Truck leading the way. Older Air Classics magazines and other publications out there may shed more light on subject...
As far as I know, Cutlass still at Soplata Homestead. I believe at one time, He had made a deal with the - then - Bradley Air Museum to take Cutlass as a trade for other items, but whether the Museum no longer is interested or not is unknown to me...
Tom - Excellent photo coverage - stem to stern - of F7U....I'll be keeping an eye out for more photos..... :)

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:23 am

Back in 1985, when I joined the NEAM curatorial committee, the word was that NEAM would be getting the F-82 and the Cutlass, and perhaps the F2G. Now that was what the previous director told us. Hearsay, as far as I can see, but Walter had already been to the museum after the 1979 Tornado and salvaged many items out of several of the wrecked aircraft, including the entire, upside down, ripped off, CT-29 cockpit section. Several items at that time were received from Walter including an engine or two, but that was just a couple of years before I got active.

I visited Walter's place in March of 1985, and the CT-29 nose was still attached by a cable to the old Model A (?) tractor used to pull it out of his pickup truck. At that time, It was not my place to ask Walter personally what NEAM might be given, so I just kept my mouth shut! With the worlds largest collection of original Thompson Trophy racers, NEAM would have been a perfect place for the F2G to be placed. That would've cap the collection with a total of three Thompson WINNERS! Something no one else has.
Jerry

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:58 am

Fouga23 wrote:Where's the F7U now?

Its still sitting in the same spot, only a couple more inches further in the ground!

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 am

Douglas XAD-1 Skyraider BuE#09103

ImageDouglas XAD-1 Skyraider BuE#09103 by Cherry Bomb Photography, on Flickr

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:19 pm

for those who don't know, that's the old crusty conservator walter soplata himself next to skyraider prototype. wait till drew posts more pics & you'll see the scope of foresight & love he had of aviation history!!

Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:40 pm

The Skyraider is still there as well. Walter sure had the foresight indeed! It sure was enjoyable talking with Walter and hearing his tales of how he brought the aircraft to his home.
Post a reply