Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:41 am 
Aerial Pirate

Barry and Mark, thanks for the pictures you post, they are much appreciated. What I like about these mass postings, is that they are easy enough to scroll down through, as compared to one picture here, and one picture there, although often those posts are trying to find specific information on the posted photo. With your pictures I can easily spin down past the ones I've seen before, or stop and take a closer look at one I haven't seen before. Again thanks.

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm 

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post those great pictures ! It must really suck to be stuck in New Zealand and have to flip through all of those magazines to see these great shots when we have this great little thing called a computer! Those folks from "down under" or nearby have never been known for being humble, have they? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, can people take it easy?

It's great people post pics they have, and I know it takes a bit of effort. In most cases, it's an evening of pastime sharing.

However people like Dave, and many others here, choose to share their professional knowledge and experience, which is both time out from their job and is sometimes giving away on the internet for free stuff that is potential earnings for feeding the family. I'm looking at the contributions of those working on warbirds, too, as well as those of us who earn a living studying and publishing on warbird history.

It may not be an important difference to you, but it can be for freelancers like myself, or magazine editors like Dave.

For me, Dave's contribution means that WIX is a worthwhile place to visit, while a random pic selection makes it a nice place to visit. No-one need to make anyone here leave over this kind of thing, so good to relax on this.

Thanks!

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 pm 
Aerial Pirate

delete, pm sent instead.

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Roger, indeed, I read your post as you intended, and I agree. :)

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

groundpounder wrote:
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post those great pictures ! It must really suck to be stuck in New Zealand and have to flip through all of those magazines to see these great shots when we have this great little thing called a computer! Those folks from "down under" or nearby have never been known for being humble, have they? :roll:

Really, and where is the original poster from?? :roll:

If you read my post it had nothing to do with the posting of photos persay - never been too quick on the uptake those Canucks, have they? :wink:

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JDK wrote:
OK, can people take it easy?

Looks like everyone is fine to me and I would respectfully suggest that there are many non-professionals who's contributions also make WIX a worthwhile place to visit. Perhaps not for you but that's your choice to judge your experiences here as you wish. I'm appreciative of the contributions of both professionals and novices no matter what their respective fields or interests happen to be and they all hold the same weight IMO. Luckily for me I hold everyone at the same level of respect and attention no matter what your title happens to be.

And no one need worry about being made to leave over this nonsense. Perhaps for others here it would be a good suggestion to relax as well and not try to make it what it isn't.

The only statements worthwhile should be a few thank you's for a very nice set of photos that someone took the time to post for us pros and novices to enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DaveM2 wrote:
Stating facts is neither positve or negative. A 'basic' Luftwaffe book has a number of the images, others perhaps more type specific. But let's forget books for the moment, which seems to be the trend anyway, a simple Google image search will bring up quite a number of these shots on multitudes of websites
If Tom has never seen any of these in over four decades there is something amiss.

The other 'fact' that two of the aircraft are still with us is a positive though, hope that meets your criteria.

My comments are no reflection on the time an effort it takes to post photos.

should I take your comment as a compliment, or as an old fart who doesn't know his crap from his oatmeal?? i'm afraid to ask!! :P regardless, no matter how many years any of us have researched, read, etc, been exposed to warbirds, there are always gaps in the knowledge. nobody has seen it all point blank, regardless. thank you for your reply.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Tom

Old age and memory loss is a bitch :lol:

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

amen!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:13 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Quote:

No mention of the ball turret? They're in for a surprise...

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:33 am 
No Longer Active - per request

Chris Brame wrote:
Quote:

No mention of the ball turret? They're in for a surprise...

Hinterschuß is better

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51742

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

for a guy who wrote a magazine article in a 2009 air classics magazine regarding aircraft i.d. & training items / models, etc, i'd surely would love an actual axis item of the material of any nation to add to my extensive collection. it would be my crown jewel!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:26 pm 

FWIW I've just noticed that they have printed this photo round the wrong way (negative transposed left to right).

I wouldn't want any scale modellers on WIX to build the aerials slanting the wrong way.

Barry

Johnny's Mother : "Don't be silly Dear - you can't do both!"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:06 pm 

Juvenile comments like M2 that we could read this in a book are unnecessary. A slightly more adult approach is needed by some.

People who take the time and effort to treat us with photos/articles etc are to be commended. Sharing is caring!

Last edited by Invader26 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next