Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The USAAF Dump Finds post got me wondering if anyone has ever looked for Gentile's P-51B? I thought I remembered that after the crash it was plowed into a swamp or bog or something...

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:16 am 

Dan,
His T-33 crash site has been found. Not sure about the Mustang.

Check out this thread (with photos) on the Wreckchasing message board:

http://pacaeropress.websitetoolbox.com/ ... ht=gentile

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I seem to recall reading that some UK diggers have searched for the site.

You might try asking on the PlyPast Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that the site where the wreckage was bulldozed in was excavated at sometime in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gentile also had a D-model Mustang that he used for a stateside War Bond tour. It was made up in the markings of his B-model, but was unpainted, as opposed to the olive drab of the B model. I was always curious what happened to that particular Mustang.

I was one of the parties involved in locating the T-33 site, and have been to the site twice. It's actually quite astonishing that the location is still relatively unchanged from 1951 other than an abundance of invasive plant growth over what used to be farm fields. Perhaps the most haunting part of the site for me is a tree that had its trunk sheared by a wing prior to impact. The tree continued to grow up and around the injury. The jagged edge of the trunk is still visible, though and the tree still stands as a mute witness to events of more than 60 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SaxMan wrote:
Gentile also had a D-model Mustang that he used for a stateside War Bond tour.

Don Gentile and his P-51D on a War Bond tour, this aircraft never saw combat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Many years ago, I went through the Gentile file at the NMUSAF.
Interesting stuff, I was surprised that Ed Sullivan (the TV host) devoted one of his nationally syndicated newspaper columns (hid job before TV) about him.

Also, I can heartily recommend his book One Man Air Force.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:46 am 

Ran across this picture of Don Gentile and his wing man John Godfrey interesting that they wear their USAAF wings and RAF/RCAF wings on their uniform.

Last edited by K225 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 am 

Great shot.

It was ordinary for the ex-Eagle Squadron men to wear their RCAF wings opposite the USAAF wings. This concession to US uniform regulations was allowed because they hadn't actually "earned" the US wings in the traditional way, but had been awarded the Canadian wings for completing the course.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Richard W. wrote:
Great shot.

It was ordinary for the ex-Eagle Squadron men to wear their RCAF wings opposite the USAAF wings. This concession to US uniform regulations was allowed because they hadn't actually "earned" the US wings in the traditional way, but had been awarded the Canadian wings for completing the course.

Related, but not the same, but this is normal for intra-service pilot transfers in the USAF today. To wit: Navy pilots who come fly for the AF wear both gold and silver wings, with the AF wings awarded by virtue of the Navy training.

All of the exchange officers I've flown with wear the wings of their host countries, but the flight duty uniform (flight suit) of the USAF while flying with us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm 

Since none of the Eagle Squadron pilots in the RAF or RCAF had served in the USAAF they lacked US pilot wings. When they transferred to the USAAF they were to be awarded USAAF pilot wings. It was the pilots who insisted on retaining their RAF or RCAF wings when they were ordered to wear the USAAF wings since they felt they had earned them as opposed to the USAAF wings. As a result Eagle Squadron pilots when they transferred to the USAAF Fourth Fighter Group were allowed to wear a reduced in size RAF or RCAF wings on the right side of their uniform along with their new USAAF wings. Also while the USAAF wanted to spread the experience of the Eagles among the newly formed American fighter squadrons it was the pilots of the three Eagle Squadrons who insisted on staying together.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Has Anyone Ever Searched for Gentile's P-51B "Shangri-La"?

The natives are quite restless, I'd be careful approaching them. Offer tea.

More seriously, I can't recall exact details, but yes, and no luck.

Re: wings, as well as the good points made earlier, RAF wings had combat credibility, and the USAAF had lots to prove but no recent track record as far as those who'd had their RAF/RCAF wings 'blooded' before 1942. A relative status point that might seem quaint (possibly churlish) in hindsight, but important, to some, back then.

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Even today, sometimes US military can display wings, paratrooper pins, and awards given to them by foreign countries. The RAF/RCAF were military awards given to them while serving in the military. They were authorized but not required to wear them. Today , wearing of foreign awards, if authorized is optional.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:21 am 

Many moons ago artist Wade Meyers and I were discussing different groups and pilots while he was researching for some 361st info we got off on the 4thFG which Wade has researched heavily and is his favorite subject to paint.

Somewhere in the 4thFG material he had gathered ( reports,logs etc) was something about the post prang disposition of Shangri-La. From what I recall the airframe was stripped of anything usable for spare parts and the rest bulldozed into a nearby pond.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:08 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I thought that the the story about it being pushed into a pond had been thoroughly debunked years ago, and proved to be a complete fable.