Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:13 pm 

flightsimer wrote:
Hows this Tim? Took me all of 10 minutes to make up

Amazing, it took more than a few minutes to stop laughing and start typing after seeing that.

Another good way to go is to borrow the paint scheme from your favourite golden age racer. Doing this gets you something flashy, classy and recognizable.

-Tim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:33 pm 

Tiger Tim wrote:
Amazing, it took more than a few minutes to stop laughing and start typing after seeing that.
-Tim

Every time I look at the pic I crack up myself. It's so outlandish that it should just be done...

Static: F-4C Phantom II, F-15A, T-3 Provost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Forget the checkerboard on the scheme. It's difficult to do correctly and the time required will double or triple your labor costs. One little mistake in it will stand out and scream at you every time you look at the plane. There are lots of better looking and much easier to impliment schemes out there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:46 pm 

Tiger Tim wrote:
The checkers don't really do it for me but it's your guys airplane so just put it in the air however you want it.

How about a nice Coast Guard scheme?

Or a late war gloss sea blue with stars and meatballs, a striped rudder, invasion stripes, a shark mouth, and nose art on the door incorporating some clever pun. Whatever turns your crank, just get people flying.

-Tim

That's "Tarbaby", assigned to, operated and restored by the High Sky Wing of the CAF, based in Midland, TX. I gave part of a check ride in her yesterday before the winds got rather high. As for the name, that is another story :D

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Seeing the tongue-in-cheek suggestion reminds me of something I came across earlier this week.
A neighbor was asked by a widow in his church to help sell an old car restored by her husband.
I have a friend with similar cars, so I asked for the photos to email him to see if he'd want first crack at it.

It's a small car, a Crosley, a rare Panel truck version made circa 1949. It's cute, but not overly so.
Judging by a decal on its back window, he was a member of the GoodGuys club which caters to hot rods, customs and muscle cars.
The problem was when he restored it, he painted it bright Kermit green with red/orange wheels and red/orange "Von Dutch"-style pinstripes.

IMHO, it looks terrible.
He made the car look like a joke, which is probably the way it was seen my many in the club.
Again, IMHO, he didn't treat the car with respect. It was a real factory built car, and the guy went out of his way to make it look like something clowns would drive at a circus.

Yes, it's fun to have some fun, and it's not my airplane so I don't get a vote, but at the end of the day, the Fairchild (and other aircraft and autos) is a classic....and deserves to be treated seriously.

Just my two cents....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:54 am 

I also have to chime in here. Paint it in a factory color scheme. I don't know why you are so enamored with checkerboard but it is just wrong on this airplane. Like John B I have seen cars and airplanes that are really well done with perfect paint jobs but with such awful colors and designs that it would make them unsellable. This is a museum plane that you are going to display at airshows etc. Do it right and research how it came from the factory. When it came time to paint my SNJ we spent hours researching it and did it in the same scheme it was in at Corey Field in 1945. Don