Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 pm 

I have a question about VFR regulations for a T6-G model certified in standard category around 1960 pertaining to anti-collision strobe / and a rotating beacon. The aircraft in question has a single wheelen strobe on it's belly and a red rotating beacon on the top aft of the fuselage. Is the red rotating beacon required for VFR along with the belly strobe ? I've asked several people and it seems the red rotating beacon was added in the past to meet IFR requirements with the plane but since it's strictly VFR now is it still required ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If you leave the switch on and forget the batt switch you will see your mistake after you walk away form it:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:34 am 

Have you checked the TCDS? I believe Boeing holds it now. Available on the FAA website.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:52 am 

Tinker51 wrote:
Have you checked the TCDS? I believe Boeing holds it now. Available on the FAA website.

TCDS Link -

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

You will also need to refer to CAR 4a for any additional requirements that may have been in effect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:39 am 

VFR Day flight does not require a Anti-Collision/Rotating Beacon. VFR-Night does (as well as a few other things). If you leave out the beacon then you cannot legally fly at night. The best reference is FAR 91.205 not the TCDS. Given the age of the airplane it can be red or white.

I'm with Stoney, I leave the strobe on as a dumb-guy switch. That way if I leave the battery on I can tell when I walk away that I've been a dumb guy. It happens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

find A-2-575 for type cerificate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm 

Scott 'Gunny' Perdue wrote:
VFR Day flight does not require a Anti-Collision/Rotating Beacon. VFR-Night does (as well as a few other things). If you leave out the beacon then you cannot legally fly at night. The best reference is FAR 91.205 not the TCDS. Given the age of the airplane it can be red or white.

I'm with Stoney, I leave the strobe on as a dumb-guy switch. That way if I leave the battery on I can tell when I walk away that I've been a dumb guy. It happens.

You obviously do not work with Limited Airworthiness do you?

The TCDS A-2-575 (click on my link above for the TCDS) and Car 4a (not 91.205) are what control that airplane configuration.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:14 pm 

There are multiple T-6's setup with Wheelen wingtip nav light/strobes which takes care of having a belly and fuselage marker. I've also seen single belly strobe setup's so I figured I'd ask.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's nice to have the beacon on before you crank the engines; especially at night, lets people near you know to look-out for props.

Last edited by phil65 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:19 pm 

Speeddemon, congrats on your T-6 ownership. WIX can be useful and it also can be frustrating. You ask a simple question and get 10 wrong answers. Your question was, can you eliminate the red rotating beacon in favor of your already installed strobe. The correct answer is yes. As you have no doubt read, the TCDS does not address your question and the FAR specifying anti-collision lighting is addressed by your strobe. However, since it provides additional visibility, I would question why you want to remove the beacon. Re: your question on the other re: the APU plug, I side with BDK. Having been stranded with a dead battery in a plane with no APU plug, I would have given a lot to have had a plug. I agree with what you are doing removing old dead wiring, but you can go too far.

One old dude's opinion.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 pm 

mustanglover wrote:
Scott 'Gunny' Perdue wrote:

You obviously do not work with Limited Airworthiness do you?

The TCDS A-2-575 (click on my link above for the TCDS) and Car 4a (not 91.205) are what control that airplane configuration.

A bit testy here. Reference the original post... the T-6G is a Standard Category airplane. Your comment does not add to the conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 am 

I ask because this T-6 is the only one I've ever seen with a red rotating beacon on the top aft fuselage. It was added post 1/1963 well after it left active service. For me I want the plane as original as possible except for a few added safety features. If I can get away running just the belly strobe I would like to and if I have to put wing tip strobes on, that would be my second choice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:51 am 

IIRC, prior to a certain date (1963 maybe, since the beacon was installed then?) most (or all?) aircraft didn't have beacons, but all three nav lights flashed. The nav light switch was three position: off, on and flash. At some point that was deemed illegal and in some fashion the flash position was supposed to be disabled and some sort of anti-collision light installed. Of course, as pointed out, Day-VFR requires no lighting. I have worked on and flown a few early 1960s and earlier Cessnas that had the flashing nav light set-up disabled. It has been so long since I have been around a T-6 but my guess is this is what it had, so, IMHO, the best way to keep it with its most original look would be wingtip strobes and a combination tail nav-strobe light.