Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A nice, good airplane. A little underpowered but had REALLY good dive bombing capability. They were used in combat in the South Pacific and Burma. Definitely a TRUE warbird and REALLY forgotten! :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

+1 on the Classic Wings article. Like most, I had read that the A-31 and A-35 were failures, but the Classic Wings article really sheds a lot of light on this airplane. Under the right conditions, it was a very effective weapon.

I guess the best analogy would be to imagine if historians based the Dauntless' performance solely on the AAF's experience with it. It would have been considered an absolute travesty of an aircraft. However, as we all know, in the hands of USN pilots, it was an amazingly effective weapon.

World War II history generally tends to be Euro-centric, then followed by the Navy's exploits in the Solomons and Central Pacific. "Backwater" theaters like the CBI tend to not get the kind of coverage of the previous two. This is likely why the exploits of the Vultee Vengeance have largely gone unheralded until recently.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SaxMan wrote:
+1 on the Classic Wings article. Like most, I had read that the A-31 and A-35 were failures, but the Classic Wings article really sheds a lot of light on this airplane.

It's not enough not to be euro-centric about WWII history, one has to read many books from many sources to get an accurate picture.
Reading UK books I knew the prevailing US view of the aircraft was not shared by its principal combat user.

Likewise, I'm sure the Russians have lots of good things to say about the P-39 and 63.
But if you read only the UK combat perspective on the B-17...you won't think much of the aircraft.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

question.........was the vengeance's "cranked gull" wing motivated by the early successes of the stuka, or was it implemented for actual aerodynamic purposes??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:12 am 

From my forthcoming book;

OWEN KEECH - NEW YORK DIVE-BOMBER PILOT

On September 1, 1954, Mrs. Doris Dillenbeck, a resident of Parish, Oswego County, New York, received the following letter from Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Wing Commander (WC) W. R. Gunn in Ottawa, Ontario; "I am sorry indeed to have to refer again to the loss of your nephew, Pilot Officer (PO) Owen Andrew Keech, but you will wish to know that the graves of your nephew and that of his navigator, Warrant Officer (WO) E. R. Watkins a member of the Royal Air Force (RAF), have at long last been located. Their remains have been moved to the Taukkyan Military War Cemetery which is located twenty-one miles outside the city of Rangoon, Burma. Most, unfortunately, individual identification could not be obtained, but their resting sites for the past ten years were positively identified. They have recently been interned at Taukkyan in Graves No. 17 & 18, Row F, Plot No. 16A. This war cemetery will be permanently maintained by the Imperial War Graves Commission (IWGC) (of which Canada is a member) and the Commission will erect permanent individual headstones at the graves of your nephew and WO Watkins.

Please disregard my letter of February 4, 1953, wherein I informed you that your nephew's name would appear on a memorial to be erected at Singapore for service members who have no known graves. It is my sincere hope that you will be comforted by the knowledge that the resting place of your nephew is now known and will be permanently maintained. May I take this opportunity of expressing to you and the members of your family my deepest sympathy in the loss of your gallant nephew".

Owen Andrew Keech was born on February 7, 1921 at Watertown, New York. His Canadian born father, Louis Keech, was from Gananoque, Ontario and his American born mother, Gladys Wann, came from the Cavish, New York area. Keech's parents divorced before he was born. His mother married a man named Darling, but Keech never formally took his stepfather's surname. Owen attended Academy Street Public School in Watertown from 1926 to 1934, then Watertown High School and Parish High School from 1934 to 1938. For the next two years he worked locally as a farm hand. From March, 1940 until April, 1941, Keech was enrolled in a one year aviation mechanics course at the Lincoln Aeronautical Institute & Flying School in Lincoln, Nebraska. He successfully completed five hundred and twenty hours of classroom instruction and one thousand one hundred and thirty hours of practical shop work. It was there, after riding as a passenger on numerous occasions in the school's aircraft, that he was bitten by the flying bug. He had already begun working toward obtaining his private pilot's licence and had accumulated forty hours of civilian flight time (twenty-one dual and nineteen solo) by the time he enlisted in the RCAF on May 22, 1941 at Ottawa's No. 12 Recruiting Centre.

His air force paperwork indicated that his birth father, with whom he never had any contact, died in the 1930's at Jamesville, New York. At the time of his enlistment, Keech was living at 12 Market Street in Alexandria Bay, New York.

Flight Lieutenant (FL) I. H. Christie swore Owen into Canada's air force as an Aircraftsman 2nd Class (AC2) Airman under service number R.96261. Owen's basic training was undertaken from May 23 until June 22 at No. 1 Manning Depot (MD) in Toronto, Ontario. This was followed by an obligatory stint of guard duty from June 23 to August 7 at No. 6 Service Flying Training School (SFTS) at Dunnville, Ontario. Keech was posted on to course number 33 on August 8 to No. 5 Initial Training School (ITS) at Belleville, Ontario. He graduated from this facility on September 24 with an 82% average and was promoted from AC2 to Leading Aircraftsman (LAC). In the remarks section of his file, the school's WC made the following observations; "Pilot - ought to be a good one. Moderate flying experience. Average at sports. Does not want a post war career in the RCAF".

Just before he graduated from the ITS, Owen was found to be Absent Without Leave (AWL) for a period of three days from September 12 to the 15th. His punishment - seven days confined to barracks and the forfeiture of three day's pay.

On September 25, LAC Keech reported in to No. 1 Elementary Flying Training School (EFTS) at Malton, Ontario. Assigned to course number 39, he flew de Havilland Tiger Moth biplanes for 60.50 hours until graduating on November 21, 1941. The Chief Flying Instructor (CFI) made the following remarks; "Above average pilot. Methodical and thinks for himself. Has no outstanding faults. Has had previous flying experience". The Chief Ground Instructor (CGI) said the following; "Appears to be a slow even tempered student. Easy going. Should prove a capable all round pilot under proper supervision. Conduct and discipline fair". Both instructors, however, said that he was unsuitable for a commission.

On November 2 Keech, was found to be AWL, this time for a period of one day, twenty hours and thirty-five minutes. His punishment - four days confined to barracks and the forfeiture of two day's pay.

Owen was posted, on November 24, to No. 2 SFTS at Air Station Uplands located just outside Ottawa. He completed his flying training to wings standard on course number 43 after amassing one hundred and fifty-five flight hours on Harvard Mk. IIb's. He graduated on March 16, 1942, was awarded his pilot wings and was promoted to the rank of Sergeant Pilot (SP). His Squadron Commander (SC) recorded the following; "Above average. Smooth and steady. Instrument flying average. Should watch altitude more closely. Navigation average. Link trainer progress and ability above average". From the Chief Ground Instructor (CGI); "In the lower half of the class. Rather sloppy. Only interested in flying fighters", and from the Chief Flying Instructor (CFI); "Willing and considerate. Character good. Leadership qualities are not outstanding. Pupil's preference - Fighters, Bombers or Reconnaissance Aircraft".

Keech was then sent to No. 118 Fighter Squadron (FS) at RCAF Dartmouth, Nova Scotia where, for a four week period, he flew Curtiss-Wright P-40 Kittyhawk Mk. I's until April 17.

While there, a third charge of being AWL was laid against him. This time he was absent for seven days, twenty hours and fifty minutes. His punishment - a severe reprimand and the fortfeiture of eight day's pay.

Owen desperately wanted to get into combat, but he was going about it all the wrong way. In a move to teach the rebellious young pilot that he had to abide by air force regulations, the RCAF posted him to Western Canada for the next four months as a staff pilot. During his time spent in the prairie provinces, Keech flew Fleet Forts, North American Aviation (NAA) Harvards, Airspeed Oxfords and Avro Ansons at No. 2 Wireless School (WS) Calgary, Alberta, No. 32 SFTS at Moose Jaw, Sasketchewan and No. 19 SFTS at Vulcan, Alberta.

On August 21, 1942, Owen finally received his long awaited orders for overseas deployment. He travelled by train to Pier 21, "Y" Depot, Halifax, Nova Scotia where he waited for the next sea going convoy to assemble.

At 0100 hours on September 1, he was found passed out in a drunken stupor on the corner of Sackville and Bedford Row Streets in the city of Halifax. Two days later a fine and reprimand were assessed and levied. Ironically, ten days after that incident he was promoted to the rank of Flight Sergeant (FS).

Owen departed Canada on October 27 and arrived at No. 3 Personnel Reception Centre (PRC) in Bournemouth, England on November 6. Assigned to No. 56 Operational Training Unit (OTU) at RAF Tealing in Angus County, he flew a combined seventy-three hours on Miles Masters and Hawker Hurricanes on course number 53 from December 1, 1942 until February 16, 1943. The following comments in his file were attributed to the Air Station's WC; "Average pilot. Quite keen and reliable in the air, but is inclined to be slack on the ground. Not yet recommended for a commission".

Assigned to the Far East Command in Southeast Asia, Keech left England from No. 5 Personnel Dispatch Centre (PDC) at Padgate. He arrived at No.152 (Bomber) OTU in Peshawar, Pakistan in early April.

Days later he received word that his forty-eight year old mother had passed away on April 19 of natural causes. By the time he received the news half a world away, the funeral service had concluded.

Keech trained on Harvards and Vultee Vengeance Dive Bombers at No. 152 until September 23, 1943. Days before the course concluded, he was promoted from FS to Warrant Officer 1st class (WO1). He was posted directly from the OTU to RAF No. 84 Squadron which, at the time, was based at Ranchi, India.

The Vultee Vengeance single-engined dive bomber had its beginnings in September, 1940 after the British Purchasing Commission (BPC) identified a requirement for an aeroplane that could match the capabilities of the German Junkers Ju 87 Stuka. Vultee Aircraft Corporation in Downey, California responded to the request and was awarded an initial contract by Britain to produce some seven hundred aircraft. With the Downey facility running flat out building intermediate BT-13/15 Valiant Trainers for the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) and SNV-1 and 2 trainers for the United States Navy (USN), the company opened a manufacturing plant in Nashville, Tennessee specifically to handle the British order. The Vengeance was designated by USAAC as the A-31, but that service never used the type in combat during World War II. Unable to keep pace for demand for aircraft, Vultee had to subcontract some of its production out to Northrop Aircraft Incorporated. The Northrop built machines were designated by the RAF as Mk. I and Mk. Ia's. The Vultee built units were designated as Mk. II's, III's and IV's. In addition to the RAF, the Vengeance served with India's Air Force (IAF), the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and later as Target Tow aircraft with the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) under the designation A-35A and A-35B. RAF No. 84 squadron was one of four British units who operated the Vengeance in the close air support role. This is the type of aircraft WO1 Keech flew right up until the day of his death.

As he took off on Saturday, March 4, 1944, on what would be his last combat mission, Keech was unware that he had been promoted the day previously to the rank of Pilot Officer (PO). The RCAF assigned him a new regimental service number J.86313, replacing his enlisted No. R.96261.

A Flying Accident Report was completed on behalf of the squadron on March 5 by FL J. H. Ramsden which said in part; "An 84 Squadron Vengeance Mk. II, coded AN 706, crashed on an operational day mission 1 mile west of Yazagya in western Burma on March 4, 1944. Both crew members, O. A. Keech and E. R. Watkins, are missing in enemy territory and are believed to have been killed in action".

On March 7, Squadron Leader (SL) A. M. Gill, the Officer Commanding (OC) No. 84 Squadron, sent the following report to RAF No. 168 Wing Headquarters; "Vengeance AN 706 was in the No. 5 position in a box of six aircraft detailed to dive bomb Kontha, Burma on the afternoon of March 4, 1944. On approaching the area, the six aircraft changed formation to echelon starboard and immediately peeled off to port to attack the target. The instructions were to dive from approximately 10,000' to 2,000' which meant that bombs had to be released and a pull-out commenced at between 4,000 and 5,000'. Vengeance AN 706 was seen to dive to earth in a ball of fire. The aircraft fell amongst the bomb bursts one mile west of Yazagya. Neither of the crew was seen to leave the aircraft by parachute. Attached are accounts of members of the formation who witnessed the crash".

The wireless operator/ air gunner( Wo/AG) in aircraft number three filed the following report; "I was flying in Vengeance AN 713 in the No. three position in the formation. As we pulled out of our dive at 2,500 feet I was watching the path of the bombs coming down from the aircraft behind us. As the bombs burst, I looked up and saw AN 706 come screaming down completely engulfed in flames. I informed my pilot who immediately turned our aircraft to a position from which we could both see. Vengeance AN 706 was in an 80 degree dive and at one stage in the descent, we could faintly see its fin and rudder through the massive sheet of flame. No one was seen to get out. It hit the ground with a thunderous explosion! When I first noticed the aircraft on fire it was at 5,000 feet".

The pilot of aircraft number six filed the following report; "I was the pilot of Vengeance AN 830 and was formating on Vengeance AN 706 piloted by WO1 Keech who was flying in the No. five position. I saw that he had fully opened his bomb doors, turned onto his port wing and commenced his dive. I followed him down from a distance of between 1,000 to 1,500 feet. I kept my eye on him noticing his dive was a bit shallow but he suddenly steepened it with an aileron turn over the target. I then lost sight of him having to concentrate on the task at hand. My gunner called out our altitude at 6,000' which prepared me for his next shout when we reached 4,000' whereupon I released four general purpose five hundred pound bombs. Before my bombs struck, I noticed a huge cloud of debris that had been blown upward into the air. Not wishing to damage my aircraft, I commenced an immediate pull out. My exit unavoidably took me through this debris field which consisted of aircraft panels and cowlings. My gunner thought for a moment that it was pieces coming off our aircraft. As I assumed the position of straight and level flight, I noticed a brilliant red fire burning in the centre of the target area. The flames were obviously from a burning aircraft and upon rejoining the formation I discovered AN 706 was missing".

On March 5, SL Gill sent the following letter to Mrs. Sarah Warn who resided at Parish, Oswego County, New York. "You will have already been informed by the Air Ministry that your grandson has been reported 'Missing believed Killed In Action (KiA) after carrying out an operation over enemy territory yesterday. I write, not only for myself, but on behalf of the whole squadron, to express our deepest sympathy with you in a great loss. I have already written a letter to you, but I am also sending this Airgraph copy in case the original is lost. Your grandson was flying his aircraft on a dive bombing attack against a Japanese occupied village in Burma. Whilst his aircraft was in a vertical dive just prior to releasing its bomb load, it was seen to explode and crash in flames in the target area. In my opinion the aircraft was hit by machine gun or light Anti-Aircraft Artillery (AAA) fire from the ground and your grandson and his observer had little or no realization of what happened and were killed instantaneously. Your grandson had recently been promoted to the rank of Warrant Officer. He was a first class pilot and was greatly admired by his colleagues, both officers and airmen alike. The fact that he has been reported missing believed killed has caused a feeling of great loss throughout the squadron. Your grandson's personal belongings are being sent to the Standing Committee of Adjustment from whom you will be hearing in due course. I know how inadequate a letter is to express the sympathy that is felt for you here or to soften your grief and I can only hope that the steady belief in the justice of the cause for which your grandson gave his life will do something to comfort you in your great loss."

On April 26, 1946, the RCAF asked the Vital Statistics Department of the province of Ontario to officially register the date and place of death of Owen Andrew Keech of Alexandria Bay, New York.

Two years later, on May 19, 1947, RCAF WC W. A. Dicks sent the following letter to Mrs. Sarah Warn on behalf of the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS). "It is a privilege to have the opportunity of sending you the Operational Wings and certificate in recognition of the gallant services rendered by your grandson, Pilot Officer O. A. Keech. I realize there is little which may be said or done to lessen your sorrow, but it is my hope that these "Wings", indicative of operations against the enemy, will be a treasured memento of a young life offered on the altar of freedom in defence of his Home and Country."

And on November 2, 1949, Mrs. Warn received her grandson's WW II Canadian Medals: 1939/45 Star, Burma Star, Defence Medal, General Service Medal and the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Clasp. She also received, from the Canadian Federal Government, a Memorial Cross.

The author gratefully thanks Library & Archives Canada who provided information for this article.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good enough machine to fly with a Mustang ...

A P-51 Mustang (B7-U, serial number 44-15036) of the 361st Fighter Group flies alongside an A-31 Vengeance on a training flight.

Vultee A-35B Vengeance 41-31367, a tow-target tug with the 1st Gunnery & Tow Target Flight.

An A-31 Vengeance (serial number 41-31378, War Weary) of the 384th Bomb Group, 1945. Interesting scheme.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mark Allen M wrote:
Good enough machine to fly with a Mustang ...

I believe the original caption stated, "Mustang just barely good enough machine to fly with a radial..." :drink3:

Wing profile infatuation... :heart:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a black plastic WWII ID model of one, I found it at an antique store east of Indianapolis in the early 90s.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 pm 

tom d. friedman wrote:
question.........was the vengeance's "cranked gull" wing motivated by the early successes of the stuka, or was it implemented for actual aerodynamic purposes??

My understanding that is that the "cranked gull" wing was really a bit of an optical illusion due to the unusual swept back center section, which was done out of necessity as someone along the line screwed up the center of balance calculations, with the oddball planform being chosen as the easiest way of rectifying the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure it was a screw up (though it could have been) ..it also could have been designed for a broad CG range.
Also, the later XA-41 attack plane had a similar wind on a new fuselage...if it was just a screw up, that wouldn't have been the case.

As far as quick design fixes, if true..it sounds like the Shorts Stirling which had its very tall gear to give the wing a greater angle of incidence...likewise the AW Whitley had a similar angled wing which gave it a severe nose down attitude while flying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The wing design was intentional from the start. The Venge has two sets of dive criteria...a low angle dive for dropping torpedoes, and a very high angle for bombs. The cranked design allows the a/c to have a vertical dive without the "walking" problem of other dive bombers. An a/c with a wing that has dihedral over the entire span, as every other diver bomber did, will "walk" towards it's target as the dive angle increases past somewhere over 70 degrees. What that means is the pilot must plan his dive point to be short of the target as he pitches over and let the "walking" bring him onto the target at the bomb release altitude. By using a combination of the cranked wing and no dihedral in the center section, Vultee was able to significantly reduce this problem. It then meant that the pilot could literately pitch airplane into a near 90 degree dive and stand on the rudder pedals for bracing and not have to worry as much about overshooting his release point.

As an additional point, Vultee designed a set of swings for the bombs to be hung on. With a vertical dive, and that huge prop, the swings move the bomb away from the prop as they are dropped, without the need for some type of jettison kicker like we have used since the early jet days.

Peter C Smith's book on the Venge is a great read and has some excellent pictures too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:47 am 

Here is a couple more pictures

That's it I give up I cannot get pictures to come up, Admin please delete

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Breathe deep the gathering gloom... Wait a minute that's a Moody Blues song... :supz: Try running thru the #4 sticky and see if that helps. Bet you are just missing a tag out of the string.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

spiteful21k wrote:
Here is a couple more pictures

That's it I give up I cannot get pictures to come up, Admin please delete

Test....hmmmmnnn...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF