Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Not sure, anybody interested?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Didn't show you the other end of the seat frame with additional "weight savings" reversed... Bungee chord "keepers".

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07 pm

sdennison wrote:
You know I have no idea what I am doing, right? :shock:

It is easy, just carve away anything that does not look like it belongs in a airplane.....

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:36 am

sdennison wrote:Thanks Tom and BDK for the kind words and following. You know I have no idea what I am doing, right? :shock:
If you knew ahead of time you probably would have given up long ago. It is sometimes all about the challenge!

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Thank you for the updates and pictures...

Lynn

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm

Well today was very rewarding. I took the LH lower inlet section to test fit on our airplane. Had to remove a strip from the outboard edge that was leftover from racing days. Then some trimming of stock intentionally left long and it fit right up. Pleased with first try...

This is the strip on the RH side. The service manual says just pull the three pins and the balance of the fasteners and the panel will drop right out. With this lip, wasn't going to work. Remove the add on and back to stock.

Strip removed from the LH side.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Also working on the flow form molds for the oil cooler door skins. Back filled the forms with resin and glass beads to make up mass.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:03 am

Looking good, real good!

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am

Awesome stuff. Can't wait to see another "U bird" airborne and particularly so this one. Too many years spent wasted sitting in a museum with an uncertain future!

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 am

Will try to catch up...dang computer is giving me fits.

Here's a quick Saturday project. Needed a new bead roller die. Quick to the CNC...oh wait...silly me. Guess it's the Craftsman 12" lathe, radius gauge and Vixen file... 8)

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Sears Best... Thanks for the update and good luck with the computer as mine is on it last leg as well...

Lynn

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Corsair balance tab studs for the new ailerons being produced by Max Aero in Hartford WI. They will be the sole source for Corsair ailerons that actually fit. Our set is first but then I think the flood gates will open. Check them out.

The mighty Craftsman lathe...

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Also needed are the balance tab actuator horns...

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Don't know if you saw the beautiful work of Marc Samsta of Max Aero. Months of work and scans to get it right but it fit like a glove, first time. These Corsair ailerons are works of art.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Another project, exhaust shroud for experimental jet. Aluminum currently, request is for stainless. Simple shape but easier said than done. I tried a number of "easy's" and they are in the local recycler's possession. So, now we try a wire form buck, I think this is going to work.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Another project, exhaust shroud for experimental jet. Aluminum currently, request is for stainless. Simple shape but easier said than done. I tried a number of "easy's" and they are in the local recycler's possession. So, now we try a wire form buck, I think this is going to work.

Post a reply