Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Not sure, anybody interested?

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:59 am

Where do you get your PVC sheet for the form blocks? What is this product normally used for? Is this a Home Depot, McMaster-Carr or an Aircraft Spruce type item?

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 am

Very awesome post, Scott! Thanks so much!
T

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Here is another example using flow forming to make a rib. I did not have a print for this part but have a sample from another project but it could not be removed. So I made a paper template of just the side of the rib. Then I added to it the material consumed in the bend radius plus the material thickness and made an aluminum template.

From this I made the blank template. Since this is a major structure member of the upper center section that supports the oil cooler, I needed good form blocks and decided to use aluminum. I made the form block from 1" 6061-T6 and made it so I could make both LH and RH ribs using the one form.

I then made a test piece using 3003 in the same thickness to proof the tool.

Here is the link to the video of flow forming the piece. Sure beats hammering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9R8RHaZurw

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:26 am

Here is a small channel form I needed to duplicate for my project. The material is 2024-0 and .040" thick.

This is bend number 1.

Then I trim to the proper height as I have a minimum bend length restriction on my brake.

Next is rolling the joggle.

Then bend number 2

Trim, drill and fit to the partition

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:32 am

So cool. I think we need to have you swing by our shop for a little hands on tutoring. 8)

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Warbird Kid wrote:So cool. I think we need to have you swing by our shop for a little hands on tutoring. 8)

Ha! Thanks but I think your guys have the right stuff. 8)

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:04 pm

This is the best "how to" since Gary's posts about Ol 927.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:27 am

67N20 wrote:This is the best "how to" since Gary's posts about Ol 927.

Not sure to live up to that billing but will keep sharing for those that care. Thanks for the kind words my friend. :drink3:

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:38 am

Very nice work, makes me want to have a go at doing my boot cowl........probably need several goes to get it even close to your quality though!!

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:05 am

Great stuff Scott! Thanks for posting your work. :D
Whereabouts do you get your PVC sheet for form blocks? Does it have a trade name?

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 am

I get PVC sheet from my local plastic industrial supplier. Here in Waukesha, Midland Plastics but you may have a different source. Just search for plastic suppliers in your area or I can hook you up. I'm sure they can UPS to you if you don't have one close. 8)

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 am

Awesome seeing this work!

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Very impressive! Thank you very much for the education. I will be following this thread very closely.

David

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:20 pm

I absolutely love it when you guys post fabrication images, it's one of my favorite things about this site. Great job guys!

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:01 am

Can you tell us what airplane these parts are for? good idea on the rivet gun, back in the day the only way I knew to make the bends was with a piece of rubber or some kind of slapper or mallet...
Post a reply