Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:46 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It was a couple of brackets for the cowl flaps. The DC-3 had a STC for the cowl flaps that had a cable going around the inside of the flaps to close them tighter in flight, the brackets were part of that mod.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Señor Scott my man. May I chat with you some day soon? I wonder if your expert craftsmanship could be put to the test to come up with a replica of the panel on the wildcat in to photo below. The panel where the VF-11 logo has been applied. I believe I may be able to borrow an exact FM-2 panel from the restoration of the wildcat going on at the USS Hornet Museum to use as a template.
This panel would then have the VF-11 Sundowner logo added, just like in the photo, and put on display on the Hornet to represent VF-11 while serving at Gaudalcanal.

What do you think?

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That should be a fun exercise. Looking forward to helping on your project. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This thread rocks. Scott's work is phenomenal. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

T33driver wrote:
This thread rocks. Scott's work is phenomenal. 8)

A BIG +1 Paul.

Scott I think we have a go on the Wildcat panel. Let's chat again about logistics when you have time. A dear friend Jim MacDonald has suggested a great idea as well.

It seems a good time ... to be you. And no better deserving person than you.

Congrats, you earned it Scott. Keep up the great work.

M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks guys! Mark, I'll call later.

3D buck work. Here are a couple shots of the new 3D buck and a test panel I am working. Nice thing about this design is that if I want to remove a station or two for any reason, I can just unbolt it. The set comes as one base plate and the RH and LH stations. All dead nuts accurate. I think I am on to something here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Meant to include these in yesterday's post, DOH! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:23 am 

That's only your test panel and it looks that good? No walnuts & nice smooth contours. Can't wait to see what the real non-test panel is going to look like.

Mac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Building a press for general purposes but also for leading edge forming. This press is based on one built by my buddy in England who is the master of race car wings. I believe he was a fabricator and crewman on four Indy 500 winning teams. He has built 5 Spitfire oil tanks to original specs using leaded steel and copper rivets.

The press has a trough that the leading edge skins are pressed into using 1" of neoprene rubber. I'm changing the design a little to be able to do some other ops that I need.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:38 pm 

Nice work! One other little job I have ahead of me is to roll a large radius curve on the bottom of a section of an instrument panel. Basically about 1 inch so it rolls under the cross member. The material is about 1/8" thick so wondering if it would bend easily around a bit of round stock easily?
It's the far right section that's still straight at the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:53 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

avenger2504 wrote:
Nice work! One other little job I have ahead of me is to roll a large radius curve on the bottom of a section of an instrument panel. Basically about 1 inch so it rolls under the cross member. The material is about 1/8" thick so wondering if it would bend easily around a bit of round stock easily?
It's the far right section that's still straight at the bottom.

What alloy is it? 6061-T6 you would have to anneal at least that portion of the panel to make it soft. Then you could clamp it against a tube of appropriate diameter. Might be tricky since the panel is already made. Would have been easier to do the roll and then trim the panel accordingly. Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:31 am 

That Spitfire tank is absolutely gorgeous!! That press is certainly interesting and I bet it is very handy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Finished my "Chalkie" press today. Needs wheels and paint. Will do leading edges and I have plans for other needs on the Corsair project. More photos to come once in process. Sometimes hate taking the time away to do these projects but it will give much more capability to the shop. I built this one 48" wide with a 43" working area. Different radius form bars attach to the upper frame to form different leading edge forms. The trough has two 1/2" layers of rubber. Below them are two square tubes captured by the aluminum angle and adjustable for the gap width to suit the project. Genius, as you can see by the previous post showing some of Chalkie's work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:46 pm 

sdennison wrote:

What alloy is it? 6061-T6 you would have to anneal at least that portion of the panel to make it soft. Then you could clamp it against a tube of appropriate diameter. Might be tricky since the panel is already made. Would have been easier to do the roll and then trim the panel accordingly. Just my opinion though.

Yes I agree, the previous owner had already mounted this bit or I would have done what you suggested and rolled that bit first. No idea what the material is, but I actually have a couple of these panels so might be easier to re use one of them than try and fix this one. Thanks any wya and now back to the warbirdy stuff! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:35 am 

Talk about 6 degrees of separation..Just did up a Spitty Oil tank in 3D for the guys at Oakey with their MkVc Trop..
Inspiring work as usual :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 54  Next