Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Schweizer TH55A Horizontal Stabilizer project. Needed new skin but once removed, found cracked spar and cracked end rib. Good replacements found and now nearly ready to assemble.

Original part.

Good spar and end ribs ready

Custom bead roller dies were purchased from Hoosier Profiles, a great supplier by the way, and a practice run with the bead end finishing in .020" T3.

Bead finishing with MDF form and PVC tool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Corsair fixture, out with the old and in with the new, I hope.

Now to see if my idea for the fixture is good. Removed the sample lower section and started to fit the new pieces I have been making. Will need some final tweaking but happy that they are fitting well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Meanwhile back at the TH55A stabilizer skin. I bought a cost effective Woodward bead roller and mounted a Mittler Bros motor and control. I could not have done this piece with a crank, for sure. The skin is 30" x 36" x .020" 2024-T-3.

Working side

Finish side, protected with resin paper

Bead one with a fence and hand guide. Beautiful custom dies from Hoosier Profiles.

Rolled all the beads from the center out to keep stresses uniform

Last bead

Resin paper removed. Bead ends require hand finishing then to bend to air foil shape. Yeah, easy part is done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:24 am 

Awesome control..Is next step shrinking?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Rossco wrote:
Awesome control..Is next step shrinking?

Rosco, the next step here is to fold the skin to form the leading edge and then fit to the rib/spar assembly. More to come.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Fitting pieces to the fixture now actually making something other than pieces.

These are formers #3 and #4. There are two more, Duh :? that have to be fit with their reinforcing plates that have been made prior. This is the actual new LH lower duct section going together for the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:12 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I must say that after running these forums for the last 13 years that this has got to be one of my favorite threads ever to grace this place. I find this type of work fascinating and I'm enthralled by these posts and look forward to having them continue for some time to come. I am going to see about starting a static archive of this thread on the site so it will have a permanent home. Keep up the amazing work Scott.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:16 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow! Thank you for the very kind words. I am only trying to share what I am priveledged to get to do. The real restoration shops, all well known worldwide, would blow me out of the water if they posted their art on a regular basis. I am just happy to share and glad some enjoy.

Trust me...this thread is far from over.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:35 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Scott,
you have said what plane you are building the parts for, but what one are you getting your patterns from ?
I am enjoying this thread as well, I am better at engines and systems than I am at bashing metal, I can do it, just not very well. I think my most complex fabrication job was building ammo feed chutes for the P-64 that is now in Thailand.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Matt, the Connecticut Air and Space Center has shared components for our reference as we have done for them. There are many FB posts about their project as on WIX as well.

Their plane came off a pole and will be an amazing static restoration from all I have seen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:36 pm 

sdennison wrote:
Wow! Thank you for the very kind words. I am only trying to share what I am priveledged to get to do. The real restoration shops, all well known worldwide, would blow me out of the water if they posted their art on a regular basis. I am just happy to share and glad some enjoy.

Trust me...this thread is far from over.

Your work is absolutely amazing in its own right but you take it a step farther. You fully document the parts but more importantly you document HOW you form the part and all of the little steps that most posters forget to post. You are teaching some of us skills and giving ideas that we would never have otherwise. Many kudos to you for that!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:47 pm 

found a reference to links that I can't get to work for repair to Corsair manuals at the Powerhouse Museum Sydney-
for what it's worth;
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/158267517? ... =172509709
Photographic glass plate negative, engineering drawing of aircraft "outer panel wing tip repair", Chance Vought Corsair aircraft, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 1939-1945 A rectangular black and white silver gelatin glass plate negative in landscape format. The image depicts an engineering drawing of cosair aircraft repairs. Handwritten text on envelope with negative reads '1965 /​ OUTER PANEL WING TIP REPAIR ? FIG 81 CORSAIR HANDBOOK /​ SECTION 7'.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/158267512? ... =172509704
Photographic glass plate negative, engineering drawing of aircraft "leading edge stringer repair", Chance Vought Corsair aircraft, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 1939-1945 A rectangular black and white silver gelatin glass plate negative in portrait format. The imaged depicts engineering drawing of aircraft repairs. Handwritten text on envelope with negative reads '1971 /​ LEADING EDGE STRINGER REPAIR /​ FIG 64 CORSAIR HANDBOOK /​ SECTION 7'.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/158267511? ... =172509703
Photographic glass plate negative, engineering drawing of aircraft repairs, "fabric retaining wire installation", Chance Vought Corsair aircraft, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 1939-1945 A rectangular black and white silver gelatin glass plate negative in landscape format. The image depicts an engineering drawing of aircraft repairs. Handwritten text on envelope with negative reads '1970 /​ FABRIC RETAINING WIRE INSTALLATION /​ FIG 11 CORSAIR HANDBOOK /​ SECTION 2'.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/158267496? ... =172509688
Photographic glass plate negative, engineering drawing of an aircraft "typical leading edge O.P. skin repair, Chance Vought Corsair aircraft, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 1939-1945 A rectangular black and white silver gelatin glass plate negative in landscape format. The image depicts an engineering drawing of an aircraft typical leading edge OP sign repair. Handwritten text on envelope with negative reads '1967 /​ TYPICAL O.P. LEADING EDGE SKIN REPAIR /​ FIG 62 CORSAIR HANDBOOK /​ SECTION 7'.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/158267510? ... =172509702
Photographic glass plate negative, engineering drawing of aircraft "typical leading edge former rib repair", Chance Vought Corsair aircraft, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 1939-1945 A rectangular black and white silver gelatin glass plate negative in portrait format. The image depicts an engineering drawing of aircraft repairs. Handwritten text on envelope with negative reads '1969 /​ TYPICAL LEADING EDGE FORMER RIB REPAIR /​ FIG 69 CORSAIR HANDBOOK /​ SECTION 7'.

sdennison you are sharing, in the best way, something worth bottling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That is cool information. wish I could make it work as well. Thank you for your kind comments. :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 pm 

just hoped someone might have known how to access that stuff; maybe the Darwin guys?
Mareeba being a local call for me could try that mob ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So, here's a little trick you may already know about but if not... To add a flange allowance for a wing rib or in this case, the formers, find or make a washer with the proper width for your needs. In this case, I add 5/8" to the pattern for my form blocks to allow for the flanges.

Just using a pencil in the center hole, roll around the edge of the template and add the flange allowance to the pattern. Now I have a paper pattern to make my blank template from.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 54  Next