Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So, the final steps on the elliptical struts were heat treating them, alodine, prime paint and assembly. No pictures needed for those processes but here are the new struts installed back in their home after nearly 30 years. These were a challenge to reverse engineer but they came out good and I am happy... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So, a little catching up is in order...sorry.

Now that the elliptical struts are complete and installed, the upper sections were fit back in the fixture to finish the skins and vane installation.

The skin was alodined in prep for painting

Ready to rivet

Cherry Max as explosive rivets used originre not available

Partition installed

Next week we will take to the aircraft to make sure fit is all good

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So a conversation with a friend last night led me to wonder if there is any interest out there for classes in aviation metal shaping. I am thinking a two day session with the first day covering basic techniques including stretching and shrinking, form block design, rib making and flow forming. The second day would be based on basic English wheel work.
One on one, 8 hour days in my shop. What say you?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Maybe some night classes...

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:55 pm 

Sign me up!

When and where? I'll figure out how to do the how much thing later.

That would be awesome.

John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

sdennison wrote:
So a conversation; with a friend last night led me to wonder if there is any interest out there for classes in aviation metal shaping. I am thinking a two day session with the first day covering basic techniques including stretching and shrinking, form block design, rib making and flow forming. The second day would be based on basic English wheel work.
One on one, 8 hour days in my shop. What say you?

I'd say 1:1 might be wasteful of your time. 1:2 or 1:4 might give students more bang for the buck.

I'd be interested in a couple of years (got too many non-metalshaping projects on the front burner now).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:13 pm 

And I would bring my 17 yr old son (and maybe the 15 yr old too, if I could get him away from electronics for that long). Expose him to some of that and he would be hooked, I would love to just watch and soak it up.

I just think it would be a really cool experience and memory.

John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:51 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I would definitely be interested ! :drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:05 am 

I'm in!! :supz:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 am 

I'd be in if I wasn't half way around the world.

I think one on one would be the better way to go. Sixteen hours of individual training would actually be 16 hours. No vying for time with the other students or having to wait for a slower person before moving on to the next subject would give you more bang for the buck in my opinion. Also, Scott would be better able to focus the training to an individual's ability. A class of a rank beginner, two slightly knowledgeable students and one pretty knowledgeable student would be more difficult to tailor the class to.

Mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ok, I put a plan together so here it is.

Day 1: 8-5 PM will consist of a review as necessary of measuring, lay out, and print reading.

Metal cutting to include foot shear, Beverly shear, power hand shear, vertical band saw, snips and deburring.

Shrinking/Stretching using conventional foot operated shrinker/stretcher, thumbnail dies on the Pullmax, planishing hammer, manual hammers and dollies.

Form Block theory, design, hammer forming, and flow forming. The student will use existing tooling simple and complex and can bring a specific part if desired.

We will touch on bending and rolling if desired and will also do a rubber sheet hydro forming exercise.

Day 2: English Wheel

We will cover the basic theory of the wheel and spend most of the time with the student hands on (not in...) the wheel. Hammer and shot bag techniques. The student will make some simple pieces to develop technique and finish with a fairly complex reverse curve part.

All parts created by the student will be kept by the student. The curriculum will be modified as necessary based on incoming skill levels. These classes are meant mostly as introductory and basic classes.

The cost for the two day clinic is $600 with a $300 deposit to secure a spot. We will offer the first clinic the week of February 20th and will adjust to the students needs. It can be during the week or the weekend the 25/26th. There is lodging within minutes of the shop.

Positions will be based on the order in which deposits are received to PayPal (sdennison@wi.rr.com). The plan is one clinic per month based on demand. If high we may do two per month.

Thank you for any interest you have. I look forward to sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So, I took some of the bits down to TabAir to test fit. All went well. Sam's happy and so am I.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:19 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scott: It would be worth it to pop over to allmetalshaping.com, join up and show off your work there, and publicize the class too . Guys are always looking for classes and get togethers in the midwest. A number of guys that offer up times are on either coast or deep south.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Cvairwerks wrote:
Scott: It would be worth it to pop over to allmetalshaping.com, join up and show off your work there, and publicize the class too . Guys are always looking for classes and get togethers in the midwest. A number of guys that offer up times are on either coast or deep south.

:drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Something different...stainless belt end clips. 20 ga SS another...how am I gonna make these? :shock: Made a special jaw for the finger brake and did the initial bend to roughly 90 degrees. Then to the vise but needed to maintain the ID so I used a piece of .125" aluminum.

Did first bend on the brake with a radiused finger. Then went to the vise.

Did a few passes through the wheel to reinforce the shape. Not much pressure.

To the cheap ass brake for the 30 degree bend. Pull the handle to 20 1/4"...ha.Image

Drillin...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 54  Next