Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:16 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

pilot06 wrote:
New found appreciation for the construction of the Corsair. My god, that is one heck of a main spar.

The reason that there hasn't been a Corsair restored to fly yet with a new spar! Quite an undertaking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I believe that John Lane has built up a F4U spar before.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ready for Cad plating. Then, the stop nut inserts will be installed. Pieces finished. These help tie the lower duct unit to the upper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Who wants to win a pony? What are these? Extra work for a buddy of mine... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:31 pm 

I'm going to be lazy and go by the paint, what airplane/ warbird has yellow & black trim ? Maybe a post WW2 bird ? F-86 ? But I 'll let the experts tell us WHAT parts they are ! pop2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:57 am 

I'm guessing F-86 as well (and I think I may know whose plane it is), given the black/yellow trim that Tony notes and that Scott has polished them up all mirror shiny. But what the parts are took me a bit of image searching - my guess is that it's the triangular insert block (I have no idea what the proper name would be) between the slat and wingtip on slat-equipped Sabres.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:48 pm 

Thanks Have Blue, But to correct myself , NACA P-51s also had yellow & black trim, but the construction here looks a little bit more modern, not by much. Oh, and Scott, the "salmon " color on Corsairs was the primer, also gray, & green &..etc..PLEASE correct me anyone if I missed that ! geek pop2

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:31 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thank you Scott for all the work you put into documenting this. I personally find it fascinating and not since Gary rebuilt Diamond Lil have i found myself so fascinated with a thread. Keep up the amazing work and thank you again for sharing your skills and insights with us.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I agree with the Mayor and Justice o' Peace of WIXville, this is one of the very best threads along with Gary's resto thread and photo barrages by Jack Cook and Mark Allen M...sdennison here is one of the most multi-talented people I've ever met across so many disciplines and he can hold his own guitar pickin and singing old country music. He is a magician with metal working, fabrication, carpentry, engines, racing, anything mechanical and probably French Gourmet and animal husbandry. Pretty cool and deserving he's getting up to his elbows working on a Corsair resto and an F-86 IRAN/makeover with more warbird work coming. Looking forward to more from this thread! :drink3: 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Meanwhile, back at the pony. Yup, T33driver has found himself with a Canadair Mk VI F86. Check out the Warbird Digest latest issue. Sorry the pony got away but I have a large dog if you are interested. 8)

Now, after the two previous posts :oops: a bit embarrassed but thank you for the very kind words.

Pony ran away but I want to share a discovery for all you aluminum polishing freaks out there. Paul's Saber was polished but sat in the Tennessee Museum of Aviation for a few years. It will need a lot of massaging. Here is a system that achieves the goal with very little effort.

Access panels polished

Back sides painted

The magic. Left to right, current skin surface, skin after deoxidizing, polish applied with minimal effort (Purple Metal Polish, component 2), polish rubbed out with micro fiber cloths and very little effort. The deoxidizer does not affect the base metal, only the oxide surface.

Same panel with the black section buffed by hand

Finished leading edge slat. Didn't see the flag score until looking at the picture. The other reflection is my ceiling....

California Custom Aluminum Deoxidizer and Purple Metal Polish. Awesome! Google them.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:02 pm 

Well Scott, the Pony may be off to greener pastures, :wink: but at least you replaced it with more of your wonderful work & great info ! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Man that stuff is nasty. Comes off easy as the fuselage was polished prior. Those scoops on the lower portion of the fuselage are castings. Wowsa. :shock: Yes, I tried the California Custom magic on it and yes, it is beautiful.

Stripe On

Stripe Off

Tried the CC polish system on this side just left of the bars. Works like magic. Will get better pictures.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Finished Pony parts...from Canadair MkVI Saber now in IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) for T33driver. Heritage Aero in Rockford doing the work. I'm just the grunt... 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Not aircraft but another shop job.

Medieval armor for the King at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Fair. This is a "Gorget" or a neck and shoulder piece. It will also be accompanied by spaulders for the shoulders and upper arms. Starts with pattern and throatless shear.

Then to the wheel. They didn't have this toy back then.

Rough fitting. Shine comes from the wheel.

More form to refine

More trimming needed

Final form will have this Tudor Rose and more brass trim.

I know it's not airplane porrnn but just more of what my shop is about. :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well, it's sheet metal porrnn, and that's what keeps me comin' back! Cheers back atcha man! :drink3:

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 54  Next