Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 am 

Tulio wrote:
Davie,

Thank you for your answer.

You are right, it very likely is a faired tail-gun position; the angle and the poor quality of the image, led me to think that it could be a boom of some kind.

Unfortunately, that is the only image I have, and as you have seen, the quality is indeed, very bad.

Saludos,

Tulio

You might try looking at the BA- number under magnification. All I need is the last two or three numbers. Even if you are not too certain, getting some indication would help. If you can do this, please let me know. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 pm 

The tail gun positions were streamlined by cut a wedge out of the skin and riviting it back together. I remember we had one of the white and red tail positions behind the office with the rest of the B-17 bits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:33 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I am sure that my numbers will be way off, but this is what I can read on the airplane's fuse:

954-B4 or 934-B4

and the s/n seems to be 223884

This is the best I can do with such a poor quality image.

Saludos, and thank you!

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:00 am 

Thanks for this information, Tulio. I'll keep researching and post any results in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:08 am 

Tulio and everyone:

It appears the aircraft in your Guatemalan AF photo is VB-17G 44-83750 which was assigned to the Caribbean Air Command at Albrook Field, Canal Zone, which clearly is near to Guatemala.

I am in the process of confirming this identity by reviewing again an accident report for this aircraft which has some (poor quality) photos attached. However, it is certain that the dark paint applied to the top of the vertical stabilizer as it appears in your photo was also applied to 44-83750 - a somewhat unusual marking. Therefore it is likely to be confirmed.

This aircraft served as VB for many years and after being declared surplus was ultimately transferred to Bolivia as CP-623.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:42 pm 

I have now reviewed the accident report photos. The paintwork on the top of the fin is a good match; however, at the time of the accident report (15 June 1951) the aircraft had an additional insignia on the tail which is not present in the (undated) photo from the Guatemalan AF files. In addition, the angle of the accident report photo does not show the tail gun position, so the tail cone feature cannot be corroborated. While it is fairly likely the subject of the Guatemalan AF photo is 44-83750, it cannot be fully confirmed with available reference material. Also, the very blurry serial- and buzz-numbers do not appear to correlate very well with the serial of the accident plane, although this is very difficult to either prove or disprove. Over time, will keep looking for other possible matches. Meantime, 44-83750 is a good candidate for identity of the Guatemalan AF photo as it certainly was in service in Central America.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:27 pm 

Tulio wrote:
I am sure that my numbers will be way off, but this is what I can read on the airplane's fuse:

954-B4 or 934-B4

and the s/n seems to be 223884

This is the best I can do with such a poor quality image.

Saludos, and thank you!

Tulio

Further research suggests that perhaps the identify of this aircraft is B-17G 42-31814, which was classified as a CB-17 from at least as early as 1946 (if not well before) and may have been further converted to VB configuration. According to presently available data, it was assigned to the Canal Zone from January 1948 through October of 1949 so it was operating in the region. Unfortunately as yet I have no photographs of this aircraft to corroborate a possible tail modification. However, aircraft having similar modifications tend to be among the earlier conversions to CB/VB configuration, so it is somewhat logical that this aircraft may have been so modified given its status of one of the earlier conversions to CB status.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:58 pm 

Tulio wrote:
I have this photo -from the Guatemalan Air Force's archives- that is, unfortunately, of very poor quality.

Of interest, is the fairing on the tail of the airplane, what to mee, could be something like a "MAD" boom.

Location seems to be the military base in Puerto de San Jose, Guatemala, undated.

Any ideas as to the identity of the airplane, mission, etc.?

Saludos,

Tulio

I am now quite certain this aircraft is VB-17G 42-31814, which served Caribbean Air Command from 1946 until mid-1949.