Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:39 pm 

Interesting shot. Not only are those Ryan Fireballs, but they are Fireballs flying on the jet engine only. Note, the props are all feathered. My great uncle was one of the first to fly the Fireball, apparently he was always nervous that somehow someone would get the avgas in the JetA tank, and the Jet A in the Avgas tank.

Will

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:53 pm 

Interesting observation. I would have never noticed that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:26 pm 

Neat airplane ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:03 pm 

Like the Neptune , running the Jet and Radial engine on AVGAS, I thought the Fireball did the same. The early German and British Jet Engines ran on gasoline, I believe I read it somewhere. The early General Electric I-16 could run on kerosene or avgas, according to WIKIPEDIA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:10 am 

The J-34 engines that we "overhauled" in the turbine engine lab at Embry-Riddle in DAB as part of our A&P training were taken from the booster "pod" engines off of P-2 Neptunes and they did in fact originally burn the same military grade 115-145 avgas that the main radial engines burned. As I recall, the biggest problem with burning avgas in the turbine engines was the build-up of lead deposits on the turbine blades. Since they didn't use those engines all the time, the consequences were not much more than more frequent overhauls (lower TBO.)

Natasha: "You got plan, darling?"
Boris: "I always got plan. They don't ever work, but I always got one!"

Remember, any dummy can be a dumb-ass...
In order to be a smart-ass, you first have to be "smart"
and to be a wise-ass, you actually have to be "wise"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:18 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:

OS2U-2 pictured with Zap Flaps open. The flaps increased drag, which hurt performance Moffett Field c 1943

Now that's a detail that should be much appreciated by modellers! I knew that's how the Kingfisher's wing worked, but I don't believe that I have ever had a chance to see it for myself like this before now. Thanks, Mark!!!

I found and loaded a Kingfisher module/profile (on floats) into FS9 or FSX quite a while back and it was actually very interesting to fly. I'd love to see one or more "real" airplanes built back into actual flyers - even if they had to be built from scratch. Doesn't seem too complex an airplane to me, but some of that has already been discussed here in a thread about creating a replica Kingfisher for museum display purposes....

Natasha: "You got plan, darling?"
Boris: "I always got plan. They don't ever work, but I always got one!"

Remember, any dummy can be a dumb-ass...
In order to be a smart-ass, you first have to be "smart"
and to be a wise-ass, you actually have to be "wise"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:39 pm 

Thanks for the photos, I was stationed both at Moffett Field and Alameda with VA-165.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 pm 

A very good rundown on Moffett Field. One thing missing though. I spent 6 years at Moffett (1957-63) flying for VR7 and VR8. R7V Constellations (Air Force C121). We covered all of the Pacific and a good part of the world. A great bunch of people. Gene Richards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Gene and thank you for the additional section of Moffett field history. I suppose you remember this bit of tragic history from your time with VR7 & 8.
http://www.navymats.com/MemorialProgram.html
Thank you for your service.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:34 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

About 15 years ago, I responded to an ad for a house full of WWII radios, Indian Motorcycle's, and a Norden Bombsight. The house belonged to an old radio technician with Piasecki, which became Vertol, which is now part of Boeing. The house was full of stuff with goat paths between rooms. I made a deal with the owner to buy all the aircraft parts and pieces, and the Norden Bombsight, and a WWII jeep voltage regulator for $800.00.

(I know somebody is going to ask- most of the Indian stuff was already gone, but I did get a generator with cutout and a NOS cam bushing reamer tool in the WWII wrapper.)

We started loading up engines like Menasco's, Lawrance's, and Lenape's and started to un-tarp something hidden in the back. "Something" turned out to be 30 brand new lights like the one in the photo below, manufactured by the Line Material Company of East Stroudsburg PA, all dated 1944 and pretty much new with issue tags from Naval Air Station Willow Grove. This is the first time I've seen a photo of them anywhere in service. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone know what became of the pole-mounted Skyhawk seen in the recent aerial views of Alameda?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:06 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Photobucket.... :gib:

Images restored

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:34 pm 

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-3300/ch4.htm

Tremendous picture thread, and lots of great hints in the background. The new at the time CVN-65 at the pier, a Tradewind taxiing, an Albatross that still survives outdoors at Sonoma and some great other shots. Too much to list.

The Kingfisher though is a special one. Note it has no ailerons....it’s a special stability test and control article for NACA Ames...see the above for a serial list. Not even close to a standard aircraft, so modeler’s beware....

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hu-16+1 ... =722&dpr=2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:29 pm 

Are those Fireballs all cruising on jet power? Oops. Looks like the question already been answered. I didn't read far enough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
Anyone know what became of the pole-mounted Skyhawk seen in the recent aerial views of Alameda?

I believe the A-4 (and A-7) are still pole mounted on base. The A-4 display has had a tough history, it was knocked off her pole by high winds @2010, and after restoration was dropped by the crane trying to put her back. Think she is back on display.

Google map:

https://goo.gl/maps/eYGDSm1xqVXcBawL8

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2011/06/14 ... l-station/

Another A-4 on pole display at Encinal High School, just South East of the base.

*edit, sorry just noticed this was an old question*