Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Most of you guys have seen how private owners who've bought surplus warbirds in the early days would paint out the national and military insignias on the planes (I figure they still do). I'm curious about whether this is an actual federal requirement in order to take delivery of the plane, or if its actually required at all. Did the military do this, or the persons buying the planes from them?

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to paint out military insignias only to have the new owner paint them right back on again, but it is politicians making the laws, I guess. ;)

Anyone have insight into what the regulations were (and are) for this?

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

As far as I know, a military airplane cannot be flown with a civilian register, in the markings of an air force where it is still in service. This is not based in any laws or documents that I have read, but more than anything else, in hangar talk.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:04 pm 

Quite rightly almost all countries are wary of private owners flying in ex-military-schemed aircraft. Like wearing a uniform, you are able to represent something you are not qualified for or directed by.

In Canada, Australia and most of Europe, you need explicit written permission to paint an aircraft in military countries. In some of those countries, Australia for instance, you must apply the civil registration VH-XXX even it it's a few cm tall and under the tail.

When the Hannas wanted to paint their Hawker Fury in Iraqi markings, back in the 1980s, in the UK, they had to go through a lot of hoops to do so. I don't know that they ever actually got permission.

Static museum owned aircraft in Germany can wear the Swastika, but flying aircraft cannot. (This is based on visual evidence!)

In the 50s, aircraft in Canada, Britain and the US often had their military marking crudely defaced for ferry flights, and few were bothered or able to go through the trouble of getting permission - so civil schemes were most popular. Today, you can buy an ex-milirary aircraft, get permission, and it retains its original paint into civilian life. For example the Chipmunks bought by the Aircraft Restoration Co from the Ministry of Defence in the UK.

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:51 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Right now in Canada, you need permission to have the small registration under the stab (3 or 4 inches), but you can paint the aircraft any which way you want.

Re- our Focke-Wulf and T-28B.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:29 am 

I read somewhere that Ray Hanna wanted to paint his La.9 in original Chinese markings, but the Chinese government refused permission. That is why it appeared in Russian markings.

Cheers,

Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:25 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

What authority would the Chinese have over that? There are plenty of Chinese marked CJs in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:06 pm 

I took this photo of a SK-61 with Swedish Air Force markings at the Gathering of Corsairs in Stratford: