Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Who can help me with pictures and locations of all surviving Avro Arrow pieces? Would like to compile a list of all the surviving bits :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 am 

I don't have any pictures, but the biggest and most well known pieces would be in the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa. They have the nose/cockpit of RL-206, the outer wing panels from RL-203, and an Iroquois engine. Perhaps a few smaller bits as well. I think Hamilton has an Iroquois as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 am 

Most would be in the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa, Canada. They have a cockpit + nose, 2 wings, landing gear, and one of the engines.

There may be some more in Toronto in the Canada Air and Space Museum. They have a full size replica.

As well there is another replica in Alberta, Canada at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum. It was the star in the TV mini-series on the aircraft.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 am 

Heres my pics of what they have at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa, feel free to use them! The wings are located in a storage hangar that has guided tours twice a day and the Cockpit is in the main museum I think the Canadian Warplane Heritage also has an engine or two from the Arrow?

And heres a few pictures of the replica at the Canadian Air & Space Museum in Toronto

Some of Avro`s finest work here :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am 

There's also a nose cone (from 25202?) and an ejection seat in the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

:partyman:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the pictures! I started a blog here:
http://avroarrowsurvivors.blogspot.com/

Any more pics?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Interesting thread...

Bits of the Arrow I'm aware of:

Rockcliffe (CA&SM, formerly CAvM, Ottawa)
Nose of Arrow 2 25206, formerly IAM pressure chamber
Outer wings of an Arrow 1
Nose gear strut and wheels
One main gear strut and wheels (ex-Dowty)
PS13 Iroquois engine

Mt.Hope (CWH, Hamilton)
PS13 Iroquois engine
P&W J75 engine from an Arrow 1
Windshield probably from an Arrow 1

At one time CWH also held a large quantity of computer equipment said to have been part of the Arrow/Iroquois program as well. No idea where that all went. Another relic is the wooden shell of an Arrow cockpit procedures trainer/simulator, which used to be held by the Peel Regional Museum in Brampton, having been recovered from one of the Toronto islands where it was being used as a kids' playhouse! Then there are the mockups, an approximately 80% scale example at the Reynolds Museum in Alberta, and the fullscale one at the apparently-moribund CASM (nee TAM) at Downsview. Other smaller bits are secreted away all over Canada...locally (Hamilton) there was the rumour of an Arrow cockpit section in a scrapyard on Hillyard Street in north Hamilton in the sixties, which could fairly easily be true as the bulk of the airframe scrap did go to a large scrapyard (Sam Lax's iirc) in that part of Hamilton...

Also possibly of some interest, the nose and cockpit of the C102 Jetliner prototype of 1949 is also held by CA&SM in Ottawa. Cancelling that program was a far bigger mistake than nixing the Arrow...in fact (heretical though it sounds coming from a Canadian!), cancelling the Arrow may not have been a mistake at all...though cancelling the Iroquois most certainly was a colossal blunder. And of course the paroxysm of vandalism our government sanctioned in mid-1959 that saw a concerted attempt to expunge every trace of the CF-105 was inexcusable.

Fouga23, I'm guessing your interest in the Arrow has something to do with the fact that its predecessor the CF-100 "Clunk" served in Belgium as well as with the RCAF? If so you may be pleased to note that one of the 53 CF-100s for Belgium is extant and in decent shape here in Ontario...18731, which suffered a gear collapse at Malton and was replaced in the order by another airframe, instead served out its days in Canada and wound up on static display at the Royal Military College in Kingston.

S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the list! And yes, I like the Avro fighters :) Can we have our CF-100 back? :p They were all scraped over here, just like the Arrow. They were almost brand new! The only CF-100 we have preserved is an example we got from our Canadian friends, but it's the wrong MK for Belgium :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:47 pm 

If you want to see something interesting , type in Avro Arrow on ebay
Apparently an actual ejection seat with letters of authenticity
$250,000 OUCH !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

fleet16b wrote:
If you want to see something interesting , type in Avro Arrow on ebay
Apparently an actual ejection seat with letters of authenticity
$250,000 OUCH !

Already on my new blog ;)
http://avroarrowsurvivors.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Try and get a copy of Peter Zuuring's book Arrow scrapbook.. it has alot of pics and info on parts etc that are still around..

________

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Here are some pics I took during an odyssey in the Great White North back in 2007. First, the Arrow bits in Ottawa:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

..and the replica at the (killed by greedy politicians and developers) Toronto Aerospace Museum. They tour guide also showed us an NOS pitot tube, but I don't seem to have a pic.

SN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Steve! I updated my blog :) Anyone else have pictures of surviving bits? I know there is a pilot stick out there, some cockpit glass and some other small bits.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:41 am 

This helmet was on eBay a few weeks ago....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/270851077476