Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Sad News , The end of an era, Paul Poberezny Passes

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 pm

EAA Founder Paul Poberezny Passes at Age 91

August 22, 2013 – Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Founder Paul Poberezny passed away this morning (August 22) at Evergreen Retirement Village in Oshkosh, Wis., after a battle with cancer. He was 91.

The Poberezny family has expressed the following: “We deeply appreciate all the support shown to Paul and Audrey over the past five months. As Paul often said, he considers himself a millionaire because through aviation he made a million friends. He leaves an unmatched legacy in aviation and can be best remembered by all the people who discovered aviation through his inspiration to create EAA. We also thank you for respecting our family’s privacy during this time.”

Only private family services are scheduled at this time. Memorials in honor of Paul’s life and legacy can be made to any of the following:

EAA Aviation Foundation: PO Box 3086, Oshkosh, WI 54903
Evergreen Foundation, Inc.: 1130 North Westfield St., Oshkosh, WI 54902
American Cancer Society, Northeast Wisconsin: 790 Marvelle Lane, Green Bay, WI 54304

Re: Sad News , The end of an era, Paul Poberezny Passes

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:58 pm

God speed, Red 1

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07 pm

He did a great deal for all of general aviation: homebuilts, antiques and warbirds. RIP.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:39 pm

A legend passes. RIP :(

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Very sad day at the office when we all received the news...

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Zach

Iconic photo there, when I think of Paul, that one comes to mind.....

Need to write something about him...

Mark H

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Godspeed Paul! Thanks for the unimaginably vast reservoir of inspiration you've brought to the international aviation world over these many decades. The face of aviation would not even remotely resemble what it is today without the phenomenal influence of the Experimental Aviation Association. Once again, upon reflection, I'm utterly amazed at how much one person can alter this shared human experience for the better. You'll be sorely missed!!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 pm

God speed PAUL.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:36 pm

He lived such a great and splendid life! Ad astra, Paul Poberezny

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Thank you for everything, Mr. Poberezny. Rest In Peace, sir.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Very sad indeed. Aviation would not be what it is today without Mr Poberezny. Godspeed.

Chappie

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:11 am

Staffers have put together some excellent photos, videos, and articles about Paul collected here:

http://www.eaa.org/paul/

Felt very strange and sad coming in to work today knowing that I'll never see the old man around the offices or in the museum again. But yet again, his presence is felt everywhere here. I feel so blessed to have been around EAA long enough to really get to know Paul and call him a friend...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm

a true aviation icon whose void will never be filled r.i.p.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 am

I remember a long time ago when I lived in Brookfield, WI seeing his P-51 on a regular basis. He will be missed, one can wish to have lived such an amazing and exceptional life.
Post a reply