Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mossie update
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:49 am 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

investment? lol, no return on money spent is not an investment. If he sold it to a collector for market value then it is an investment. To restore it at great expense to flying condition and park it is lunacy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:09 am 

Its a beautiful restoration, the shop should be proud! As far as doing it for the investment, I could understand that if it was a piece of furniture but its not. Whoever is paying for this restoration is spending a fortune. If they are looking at an investment parking it would take many, many years to recover the costs they spent to restore it to flying condition. Even then, the purchaser would have to spend another ton of cash to make sure it was still airworthy - assuming they had any intention of flying it. Having said that, maybe warbirds are reaching the point that you have to go to a museum to see one...much like rare autos that are never driven but change hands every decade or so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Tint wrote:
Having said that, maybe warbirds are reaching the point that you have to go to a museum to see one...much like rare autos that are never driven but change hands every decade or so.

There are more airworthy (and regularly flown) warbirds now than at any time since they left service. Just look at all the new restorations of P-51s, P-40s, Corsairs, Spitfires, Hurricanes, etc flowing from the shops around the world.

As for the Mosquito, before I pass judgement I am prepared to wait and see whether the owner decides to recoup his investment by selling it on once it is flying.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JimH wrote:
investment? lol, no return on money spent is not an investment. If he sold it to a collector for market value then it is an investment. To restore it at great expense to flying condition and park it is lunacy

Do you know he isn't going too? Warbird prices are relatively low at present, but signs are the pendulum is on the upswing again. Having one of the two (currently) air worthy Mossies in the world is a pretty good investment. Obviously the guy who owns it is 'savvy' when it comes to money, otherwise he wouldn't be able to afford it to begin with, no?

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:34 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JimH wrote:
explain to me the logic of spending (x) amount of money to make an airplane fly then park it...bloody stupid...

Quote of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 am 

If you want to keep people interested in warbirds, the only way to do that is to KEEP 'EM FLYING (sounds cliche at this point, I know...). What's more entertaining/interesting? Wiping oil stains off the underside of a Mosquito following a flight or trying to ascertain how much dust the museum exhibit has on it since the last time you visited?

There's nothing worse than going to a museum and hearing docents blather on and on about how virtually the entire museum used to be flown regularly...only now to have the museum's entire collection serve as static, parked, non-flying exhibits. The Kalamazoo Air Zoo is a perfect example of this. To a greater extent, this is what seems to be happening at the Military Aviation Museum (by the way, sounds like the SNJ-4 is being prepped for delivery to Russia - another one bites the dust).

Moreover, it's hard to predict what will happen in the world of warbirds particularly when discussion about ultra-rare types like the deHavilland Mosquito surface. One thing is for sure though. When one of the "players" in the warbird world obtains a Mosquito and regularly flies it (Rod Lewis, Paul Allen, the Friedkins, etc.), all of these "airworthy, non-flying museum exhibits" will take second stage to a living, breathing aircraft whose wings bite air and that may even come to an airshow/flying event near you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rob W wrote:
If you want to keep people interested in warbirds, the only way to do that is to KEEP 'EM FLYING (sounds cliche at this point, I know...). What's more entertaining/interesting? Wiping oil stains off the underside of a Mosquito following a flight or trying to ascertain how much dust the museum exhibit has on it since the last time you visited?

There's nothing worse than going to a museum and hearing docents blather on and on about how virtually the entire museum used to be flown regularly...only now to have the museum's entire collection serve as static, parked, non-flying exhibits. The Kalamazoo Air Zoo is a perfect example of this. To a greater extent, this is what seems to be happening at the Military Aviation Museum (by the way, sounds like the SNJ-4 is being prepped for delivery to Russia - another one bites the dust).

Moreover, it's hard to predict what will happen in the world of warbirds particularly when discussion about ultra-rare types like the deHavilland Mosquito surface. One thing is for sure though. When one of the "players" in the warbird world obtains a Mosquito and regularly flies it (Rod Lewis, Paul Allen, the Friedkins, etc.), all of these "airworthy, non-flying museum exhibits" will take second stage to a living, breathing aircraft whose wings bite air and that may even come to an airshow/flying event near you.

The other quote of the day. Man you guys are good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 pm 

A flying Mosquito will be the first $10 million warbird, and it will happen within the next five years.

As you know, warbirds are your best investment.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

kalamazookid wrote:
It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this.

We should put this on a T-Shirt! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This isn't a museum plane. An individual owner doesn't owe flying and public appearances to anyone or anything if he doesn't want to do it. Not all warbird owners have a sense of duty to be a caretaker of history or share their aircraft with the masses. Clicking your red heels and wishing it to be so will not change that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RobC wrote:
A flying Mosquito will be the first $10 million warbird, and it will happen within the next five years.

I thought we've seen one go for more?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:35 am 

Quote:
Like what's the point of saving WWII warships, or even Nelson's flagship, if they don't sail?

Good point. I've always wondered what educational/historic value the of the U.S.S. Constitution is. I mean, what is there to learn from a wooden sailboat built 215+ years ago? I guess it is pretty cool to see one of the U.S. Navy's original frigates sail under her own power while serving as a learning tool to educate citizens about the U.S. Navy and the history of the United States. Kind of a stunt really, huh? They should probably just dock it forever. Better yet, stick it in a museum!

Quote:
What's the point of saving 19th century covered wagons if horses don't still drag them around?

What about the Sooner Schooner? You know, they should probably just put that thing away and make it an interactive exhibit on campus, maybe have something set up so that students can sit in various parts of the wagon and imagine what it must have been like to use something like this.

I suppose I should out myself "officially" and let you all know that I'm definitely a proponent of keeping aircraft flying. No question. I simply feel that there is so much more interest and engagement in aviation/warbirds when aircraft are displayed and shown to the public. I understand that no one has an obligation to do this and if they don't wish to then so be it. That's their own prerogative.

But man, what a waste for those of us chomping at the bit to see, hear, photograph and enjoy these machines in their natural element!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 am 

RobC wrote:

Glacier Girl?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 am 

From the Victoria Air Maintenance Facebook "Weight and Balance". Posted November 4, 2013

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next