Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It was ten years ago today on September 28, 1995, that the CAF B-26C Marauder "Carolyn" was lost. On board were experienced CAF pilots Vernon Thorpe and Walter Wootton along with Tom Cloyd who was riding along as a check pilot. Also lost were two young enthusiasts from England, Colin Dunwell and Chris Gardner. One of whom was a valued volunteer on restoration projects at Duxford. The first I heard of this was when I saw the footage of the wreckage the next day on the local Miami news...I had hoped it was only an A-26 and not the rare Marauder, but a phone call the following Monday confirmed my worst fears. (At the time I had little phone access because I worked on a cruise ship). The crash hit me hard personally, because the Marauder had become one of my favorite airplanes during the previous five years and I had met Walter Wootton at the 1986 Airsho. He was also a good friend of my uncle, Cam Bailey. Walt had worked on that airplane during it's restoration and had successfully piloted the airplane during other emergencies, such as the aircraft's gear collapse in 1985 and during an engine out emergency in Virginia in 1991, when the airplane was on it's way to an all crews Marauder reunion I attended in Baltimore, Maryland. It's crashes like this, when you have a full crew of experienced pilots onboard, including the world's most experienced in the type and there is no good explanation for the crash that are the most painful. It's not like they did something stupid, or were out buzzing or being irresponsible. darn this one still hurts and I am still so sorry.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:15 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

RIP, especially Colin and Chris. Much missed by all at Duxford. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

John I echo your sentiments. I spent a lot of time flying with Walter & Vernon in our old B-23, & they were execellent aviators. Walter took me under his wing back in 80 when I went to Harligen for Airsho the first time. I learned a lot about Warbirds in a short period of time from him. Vernon was a piece of work. He would always tell me the particular things about different planes that were most likely to kill you. I asked him one time what all he had flown, & he thought for a minute then told me it would be a lot easier & quicker to tell me what he had not flown. I had met Tom on several occasions when the B-29 came through Atlanta. He too was a good guy. I still can't imagine what happened 10 years ago to that airplane with all that talent onboard. So sorry about the two guys in back. That could very well have been one of us non pilot guys that would have jumped through our ass for a chance to fly in a B26 (or any other Warbird). I am sure there is blue sky & great flying where ever these guys are. They won't be forgotten!
Regards
Robbie :partyman:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:41 am 

John & Robbie:

Thanks for the post. RIP WW, Vermin, Tom, Chris & Colin, and of course "Carolyn"... you are not forgotten.

http://b26marauder.com/carolyn.html

Jase
www.b26marauder.com
"I'm having a BLAST!!" 2007 CAF Wing Staff Conference

RIP Gary Austin..always in our hearts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:42 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

The first time I heard of the crash was when I visited Midland a few years later. The Navy kept me out of a lot of loops. But I remember seeing the Memorial setup there to the fallen crew; it was moving because it really brought the reality not only of the a/c lost but also those on it. The memory of standing outside looking at the memorial has stuck with me for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:25 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the great responses. I wrote that and I was pretty drained for a couple of hours.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:17 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I got to Midland the day after the Maurader went down, and the FAA was in overkill mode. All the CAF members were still in shock and I was also.
We had just flown in the T-6 part of the show and I was accross the taxiway watching the show, when I looked back at my 6 and saw 4 guys on it, with the canopy open and trying to pull the parachute out. I confronted them and got the responce of we are the FAA and need to check if the chute was current, I asked the to get off my plane and got the same responce, I then told tham that if they did not get off the plane, I will have them arrested and charged with tresspass and tampering with a aircraft and proceeded to get a nearby cop to come over and help remove them. I got thier names and reported them and recieved a responce from Washington that all had recieved some additional training.

I was soo looking forward to seeing the B-26 and the CAF show, but between the FAA and local hotel, I got a bad taste of Midland and have not been back

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:09 am 
Aerial Pirate

For those that might be new to the warbird scene, here's the official NTSB report:

FTW95FA406
HISTORY OF FLIGHT

On September 28, 1995, about 1050 central daylight time, a Martin B-26C, N5546N, registered to American Airpower Heritage Flying Museum, and operated by the Confederate Air Force (CAF) as a Title 14 CFR Part 91 flight, was destroyed following a loss of control during a forced landing near Odessa, Texas. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a company flight plan was filed. The airline transport rated pilot-in-command, commercial rated copilot, pilot rated passenger and two non rated passengers received fatal injuries. The flight originated from Midland, Texas, about 14 minutes before the accident.

According to the operator, the flight was in preparation for a flight evaluation for the pilot-in-command by a FAA inspector. The pilot rated passenger was on board to observe flight operations in preparation to become a second-in-command in the B- 26.

Witnesses reported the following information. The aircraft was approximately 250 feet above the ground heading southwest. As the aircraft passed over head, the "engines were sputtering." Approximately 3/4 mile from the witnesses, the aircraft made a "sharp" right turn, nosed down, and impacted the ground. A witness added that the engines "quit" prior to the aircraft turning right.

PERSONNEL INFORMATION

The airline transport rated pilot-in-command's log books could not be located; therefore, time flown in other than CAF aircraft could not be determined. The pilot-in-command normally retained the logs in his possession when flying. It is believed that the log books were destroyed by the post impact fire. According to CAF records the pilot-in-command had accumulated approximately 500 hours in the B-26. Prior to the accident flight, he had flown the B-26 once since October 8, 1993. That flight was on September 26, 1995, for a duration of 30 minutes. The pilot-in-command was a certificated airframe and powerplant mechanic.

According to CAF records the commercial rated copilot had accumulated approximately 165 hours in the B-26. His last flight in a B-26 occurred on March 7, 1994. The copilot was also a certificated airframe and powerplant mechanic.

AIRCRAFT INFORMATION

The B-26 "Marauder" is a twin-engine World War II aircraft. It was manufactured by the Glenn L. Martin Company, Omaha, Nebraska, and was delivered to the USAAF on May 24, 1943. Prior to the accident, the B-26 Marauder "Carolyn" was the only known flying Marauder in the world.

The aircraft went into maintenance on January 26, 1995 for an annual inspection. During the inspection, a crack in the lower forward spar of the left wing was found. The repair to the spar was completed on September 1, 1995. A compression check on both engines followed by a 15-20 minute run-up was completed on August 28, 1995. The inspection and repair were signed off on September 18, 1995, with the statement, "aircraft not returned to service." This statement was due to additional maintenance requirements. The maintenance was completed and the aircraft returned to service on September 26, 1995.

According to the operator, the aircraft had 300 gallons of fuel in the left wing tank when it returned from the spar repair on September 1, 1995. On September 22 or 23, 1995, 200 gallons of fuel was put into the right fuel tanks and both engines were operated. The aircraft was flown for 30 minutes on September 26, 1995. On the day of the accident, the aircraft's left and right fuel tanks were fueled with 150 gallons each. The fuel tanks were "sticked" and the total fuel was estimated at 720 gallons of 100 octane low lead avgas.

COMMUNICATIONS

After takeoff, the pilot of N5546N contacted Midland Departure Control. Departure Control asked the pilot if he would be working at or above "five thousand five hundred" and the pilot replied he would. The pilot also reported he would be "working on stalls and steep turns." At 1045.13 the pilot of N5546N was instructed to "maintain VFR at or above five thousand five hundred" and the pilot acknowledged the instructions. There was no further communication with the pilot. See the enclosed communication transcripts. The controller later noticed "N5546N's mode C indicated four thousand six hundred, but he thought the pilot had only inadvertently descended through his altitude instruction, and the aircraft was descending very slowly." Later the controller observed the aircraft data tag and primary target had dropped off the scope. At 1056.37, Departure Control called the pilot of N5546N, but got no reply.

WRECKAGE AND IMPACT INFORMATION

The aircraft wreckage was located approximately 12 nautical miles south of Odessa, Texas, at latitude 31 degrees 20.1 minutes north and longitude 102 degrees 17.3 minutes west. The initial ground scar was on a measured magnetic heading of 171 degrees. The engines were found next to their respective impact crater. The cockpit, fuselage, and engines were destroyed by a post impact fire. The right wing pitot tube was found stuck in the ground within the initial ground scar.

There were three slashes, corresponding to prop blades 21 inches apart within the initial scar, nineteen feet from the outer edge of the scar. The propeller hubs were attached to their respective engine crankshafts. See enclosed wreckage diagram.

Examination of the wreckage did not disclose any pre-mishap discrepancies. The left fuel selector was on the left main tank and the right fuel selector was on the right main tank. Due to the extent of damage, flight control continuity could not be established. A review of the airframe and engine records did not reveal any anomalies or uncorrected maintenance defects.

MEDICAL AND PATHOLOGICAL INFORMATION

Autopsies were performed by pathologist Randall E. Frost, M.D., at the University Medical Center, Lubbock, Texas. Toxicology findings were negative.

TEST AND RESEARCH

Both engines were examined on October 5, 1995 by the NTSB, and according to the Pratt and Whitney representative, no pre-mishap discrepancies were observed. However, the engines had extensive impact and thermal damage.

The propellers were examined on March 19, 1996, and no pre-mishap discrepancies were observed. Physical evidence revealed both propellers were transitioning to the feathered position at the time of the impact; however, they were not in the feather "locked" position.

FAR Part 61.58 requires a pilot-in-command proficiency check or flight check for type ratings every 12 months. Those pilots who have more than one type rating may alternate the proficiency check every other 12 months not to exceed a 24 month period. A pilot who is type rated in four aircraft would take a proficiency check in two aircraft the first 12 months, then the other two aircraft the following 12 months. The proficiency or flight check includes those maneuvers and procedures required for the original issuance of a type rating for the aircraft used in the check. The in-flight maneuvers according to Appendix A to part 61 are steep turns, approaches to stalls, specific flight characteristics that are peculiar to the airplane type, and powerplant failures. The stalls include one in the take off configuration, one in a clean configuration, and one in a landing configuration.

ADDITIONAL DATA

The aircraft wreckage was released to the owner.

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.