Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Guys,

I know this isn't particularly Warbird related, but I think everyone here would get a kick out of the Soltis Collection's newest acquisition. Especially looking at what Chuck Whal is doing with his amazing Jeep!

Well.... we finally did it..... (we meaning my dad and I). We pulled the trigger and bought a 1942 MB Jeep! We plan on getting this Jeep registered and running for the end of Summer and utilizing it with the local air museum, the Connecticut Air & Space Center. So here it goes!

This 42 MB (as far as we can tell) was rebuilt in Germany by Daimler-Benz either in 1945 or immediately after WWII. We found this plate on the side of the engine block.

She also came with these plates in German...

We found this interesting, the speedometer is apparently the exact same that can be found in VW Beetles. Hence the "Made in Germany"

So we finally got the Jeep home on Saturday and have since started tinkering with her. We know that this Jeep was restored by a local auto body shop in 2007. She was never registered in the state, but was registered previously in New York. The actual body is a reproduction tub but the frame, engine, and smaller accessories are all original from what we can tell. The Jeep (being hardly driven since 2007) has a TON of fresh parts on her and is 99% rust free.

She didn't have any stopping power in the brakes, so we figured to check the master cylinder.

Off comes the plate......

What we find appears to be an incorrectly positioned Master Cylinder cap. We're hoping this is the cause of the zero braking capability. We'll be picking up new brake line fluid along with a new plastic plug cap to replace the old one. If this isn't the solution, then we expect we'll have to replace the entire master cylinder.

So with this project stalled, we moved onto another dilemma! One of the rear cargo hatches wasn't closing or opening right.

The latch didn't keep the door closed so we took it off, fiddled with it, shot it with some lubricant, and reinstalled it. Good as new!

We also reinstalled the radiator rod and repainted it.

All in all, not a bad first work night. Alot more to come! So stay tuned!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Last edited by Warbird Kid on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Our 1942 MB Project
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Everybody should have an MB.Come to think of it everybody should have a 40 ford(with a flathead of course)truck ,coupe or sedan. :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

BTW you have a really nice MB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 am 

:drink3: AWESOME! :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 am 

Great looking Jeep. Enjoy it.

Based on my limited schoolboy knowledge of languages (so I could be wrong) I think you might find the two plates that you show are not in German but in French. Now that makes your Jeep even more interesting in my opinion. Where has it been and what stories could it tell?

FITD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 am 

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it must refer to one of the futuristic Martin-Baker fighters! Sadly not so, but still a lovely restoration. And yes, you're right, FITD, it's definitely French.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That's Okay 'kid!
Lots of people post stuff here that's never gonna fly :D

What a great project for you and your dad. Enjoy!

Looks good. Lots of fun. :drinkers:

We'll enjoy this thread, 'til someone with no life, demands the Mods move it :shock:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Can't wait to go driving with you and Dad to a show!
Woody is chomping at the bit!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys! Yes upon closer examination, those plates are indeed in french! (should have known). I hope to get the numbers to you guys and maybe you'll be able to help piece the history of this Jeep back together!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:13 pm 

Great thread, I have been thinking recently what a blast one of these would be to own and restore. What are your plans for the future?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well..... my father and I really lucked out with finding this Jeep. It's in great condition and was hardly ever driven since it was restored in 2007. While it's not an award winning restoration, that doesn't matter to us. We're (on a much smaller and more insignificant scale) trying to do what Gary and the CAF did for FiFi. Make a 65 year old vehicle economically safe, reliable, and enjoyable as much as possible. We won't be trying to authenticate this Jeep out like crazy, but will try and make her look as period as possible. Of course this is all dependent on how much is in the project account.

Short List
Our immediate goal is to get her driving. She already runs fine. All lights work. But the brakes have no stopping power, as well as the horn and windshield wipers don't work. To at least get her to go down the road safely, the brakes are our top priority. Once we get those in operation, we can then focus on the wiper motors and hooking up the horn. I believe once we have all three of these items working comes the next big step... registration.

Registration
Now I've heard that all you need for a vehicle such as this is a Vin (Frame) number and bill of sale. We thankfully do possess these two items. But after talking to the local DMV they also stated that you would need the last registration of the Jeep which was in New York. We have this as well but the number indicated on the registration is one number off of the frame number. Soooooo we don't know whats that about. But we'll cross the bridge when we get there.

After registration comes the fun part. Details, details details. Essentially we have a couple of avenues to go down from there:

Accessories, Practical Improvements, and Paint

Accessories
This is the fun part of course. We do have some of the parts (axe, jerry cans, etc.) that we'll be installing on the jeep as time permits. We also have the beginnings of the canopy frame. We'll need to source the mounting hardware and canvas frame (probably from Beechwood). We're also interested in finding a replica M1 Garand to instal in the windshield.

Practical Improvements
Some things I'd like to do to enhance the over all comfort and ease of driving this Jeep would be to:

A. Install additional mirrors
A second passenger side mirror and rear view mirror I feel would enhance the overall ease of driving the Jeep.

B. Blinkers
Let's face it.... less and less drivers today know what hand signals are for cars. Having blinkers is a far more contemporary option, but I believe a far more safer one.

C. Seatbelts
While not necessary I think a few lap belts will make driving the Jeep slightly safer. But as Jerry O'Neill pointed out to me, you don't want to be strapped into one of these things if it tips over.

Paint
Ahhhh paint. The most defining part of the whole project in my eyes. We plan on keeping her in OD but will continue to give her touch ups here and there. With talking about specific markings, we've run up against a wall. Seeing as how we have a few connections to World War II, as well as the Sikorsky Airport, the museum, etc. we'd like to portray her in multiple schemes. Which leads us to consider the idea of temporarily painting her. Here's a list of four different schemes we'd like to paint her in:

A. Actual Original Markings
We have no idea what these we're or where she was used. We have a few clues seeing that she was rebuilt in Germany and had French plates. But that's about as far as it goes. If we find any other details about her history we hope to paint her that way.

B. 320th SQ 90th BG 5th AF Pacific
As many of you guys know my grandfather was based with the 90th BG in the Pacific, so depicting a Jeep my grandfather would have been tooling around in on New Guinea just sounds plain cool to us.

C. 56th FG (Bridgeport AAF)
Another plausible option would be to paint her in markings of a Jeep that would have been based here at the airport when it was the Bridgeport Army Airfield. We have found no photographic documentation of when this side of the airport was an army base and no lads to go off of.

D. Connecticut Air & Space Center
With the idea of using removable temporary markings we'd also like to utilize a scheme on behalf of the Connecticut Air & Space Center, the local museum very near and dear to us. It would probably consist of large magnetic signs with the name in a white or yellow stencil font. We'd use the Jeep for promotional uses with the museum in parades, photo days. etc.

While space is pretty tight at the Soltis homestead, it is our hope that we'll be able to put the Jeep on display for the Winter months at the CASC. Hope this lays out the project plan for you guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Kid, if the main objective is to have fun, then you're most of the way there :wink:

Enjoy it, share it's history with any who care to listen and do what makes you happy. You won't regret a moment! :drink3:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I think the Jeep would be a great "vehicle" to tell your grandfather's story. it would be much more meaningful to your family as well to honor his service.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:49 pm 

Kid,
Your jeep is a French rebuilt and its not a MB(Willy's)its a GPW(Ford). You can tell by the pressed tool bin covers. If the frame is Ford should see the serial number driver side frame rail. For more info try www.G503.com.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

For blinkers, you might thing about magnetic ones so you can take them off if you want a real vintage look.