Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 pm 

KiwiZac wrote:
That sounds like fantastic progress, Ryan! Thanks heaps for sharing! Lovely photos, too. :drink3:

Any chance of a cheeky guess at timeframe to completion? :wink:

It's hard to put an exact time on it but I believe at the rate we're moving right now a few more years at least.. Of course with more funding, support, volunteers, etc. things can progress faster!

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca
http://www.ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:33 pm 

Is the mossie accessible to museum visitors, or is it in a separate building? I was out there in... 2009 I think... and I for some reason at the time it wasn't possible to see it.

It's amazing that you guys are doing everything to airworthy specs, with both the Mossie and Lanc projects. It would be amazing if through some form of divine intervention either (or both) were somehow able to fly again. However even if they are permanently static, the workmanship will contribute to a solid artifact that will stand the test of time. If I ever win (or earn) a ridiculous sum of money I'll keep CHAA in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:45 pm 

Greg87 wrote:
Is the mossie accessible to museum visitors, or is it in a separate building? I was out there in... 2009 I think... and I for some reason at the time it wasn't possible to see it.

It's amazing that you guys are doing everything to airworthy specs, with both the Mossie and Lanc projects. It would be amazing if through some form of divine intervention either (or both) were somehow able to fly again. However even if they are permanently static, the workmanship will contribute to a solid artifact that will stand the test of time. If I ever win (or earn) a ridiculous sum of money I'll keep CHAA in mind.

She's in the same building and accessible for everyone to view. Stop by if you get a chance, a lot has changed since 09 with not only the projects, but the facility as well!

Thanks for keeping us in mind, we'll keep our fingers crossed for the big win with you! :wink:

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:29 pm 

Some photos of the progress on 161:

Work continues on the tail section, the horizontal stabs are complete and work is ongoing on the vertical stab. The tail wheel/tail gear was overhauled and installed. The rudder was test fit and everything lines up perfectly. Sadly even though the rudder was redone some years ago, it all has to be opened up again and thoroughly inspected, with a few repairs to be made before the fabric can be replaced. We did finish off the rudder trim tab however!

The main gear assemblies are coming along very nicely! Everything that was made new or already NDT'd has been installed permanently at this point, there are still a few items that need NDT before we can move forward with installing things further.

The fuselage had to be lifted off the wing once again to gain access to work on the attachment points and areas that required a few repairs to get it up to airworthy specs. Before the fuselage is permanently attached to the wing we'll have to paint and complete the fabric covering on all of the outer wood surfaces. Hopefully this summer! More to come!

There's also an update on our Lancaster restoration in the RetroAviation sub-forum for those interested!

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:26 pm 
KiwiZac

Fantastic update Ryan, I saw the Lanc post and was hoping for one on the Mossie. I was not disappointed.

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:12 pm 

Just back from a quick trip back to Windsor, thought I would share a few photos on the Mossie now that shes up on her landing gear! :wink:

Sure looks a lot more impressive in that position!

ImageDehavilland Mosquito KB161 - CH2A

The guys are still working on some other components of the gear that will need to be installed once completed. We also have a company coming in towards the end of August to give a course on and deliver the fabric covering. That will be the next big project, along with the painting of the interior of the fuselage. After that we start looking at the aluminum/metal structure. 8)

Also, since Photobucket has gone haywire.. I'll look into uploading all of the progress pics over the years either on another hosting website or into an album on the CH2A website.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

WOW!
That is truly awesome. Well done folks :drink3:

P.S. Photobucket sucks!! Good job in getting folks to never use your website again a$$hats!

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 am 

Truly magnificent work...and thank you for the comments about photobucket as I thought I was the only person seeing those irritating 3rd party notices.

...just another plane dreamer.