Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Official B-29 Doc Restoration Thread

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:16 pm

And here is the latest video, in HD.

https://vimeo.com/190674143

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:27 pm

That video is outstanding!! I love the wake in the top of the clouds.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:52 am

there were a ton of photos posted to this thread that were deleted because the group didnt want anyone to see it until its big unveil... is it alright to repost those restoration phase photos now?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:18 am

I just can't get enough of this airplane! That metal finish, be it polished or not, is one of my favorites too on any kind of airplane. Can't wait to see Doc in person someday.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 am

peter wrote:Get her together with Fifi already

I keep hoping that somehow FIFI and Doc will get together at VFM (FIFI's current home). It would be very cool to have both of the world's flying B-29s parked together inside our main hangar, which is a WW2 USAAF B-29 maintenance hangar. Can you imagine the photo opportunities?

:supz:

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:34 am

Does anyone know if they plan on offering paying passenger rides on Doc in the future?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Yes, that was their goal. I would expect it to be a couple more years though before it happens.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Just saw a notification email of this... One step closer!! :supz:

http://www.b-29doc.com/2017/03/10/b-29- ... perations/

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 am

http://www.b-29doc.com/2017/03/21/b-29- ... -schedule/

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm

peter wrote:Get her together with Fifi already :drink3:

Would they need to train another crew for this? It was my understanding that the Doc crew IS the FIFI crew.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:15 pm

RacingMustang wrote:
Would they need to train another crew for this? It was my understanding that the Doc crew IS the FIFI crew.

We have enough trained crews to fly both airplanes.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Brad wrote:
RacingMustang wrote:

We have enough trained crews to fly both airplanes.

:supz:

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:42 pm

I heartily second the above comment. :supz:

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:23 pm

RacingMustang wrote:Would they need to train another crew for this? It was my understanding that the Doc crew IS the FIFI crew.
Why wouldn’t they get their own crew trained and familiar with flying Doc?
Otherwise, if it’s just CAF folks flying the thing, why don’t they just turn it over to the CAF and call it the CAF’s SECOND Superfort?
Generally speaking, any group that goes through all the work to get something like that flying is eventually going to want to do their own flying and not have to rely on someone else for that.
Let’s face it, there aren’t THAT many people in the world who are good to fly a B-29, right? At least not too many that many of us would trust to do so (I mean the WW2 vets, who are all in their 90s now).
It’s a given that when Doc was ready to fly, someone B-29-rated in the CAF would say, “Sure, I’ll take her up,” but I do wonder why the group that restored Doc doesn’t apparently have a trained crew at this point. I mean, it’s not like they didn’t see the need from a very long time ago.
Can anyone answer for if/when Doc is going to have her own non-CAF flight crew?
Just wondering.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Patience, grasshopper :|
Post a reply