Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:01 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That's a neat shot...!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 pm 

Quick update. We have just approved the use of straight pipes coming out of the exhaust vs using the hot section turbocharger housing. With everything in place and cowling installed everything will look exactly as original. Plus with this setup, upon engine start we may set off more than a few car alarms. It's still in work so the end product will look much better.

Attachment:
20141211_123939.jpg
20141211_123939.jpg [ 87.66 KiB | Viewed 3933 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:12 pm 

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/avi ... 46947.html

Its good to see that hey are taking their time to make sure everything is perfect for the first flight.

$10k an hour to fly!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:33 pm 

Gtjensen wrote:
Quick update. We have just approved the use of straight pipes coming out of the exhaust vs using the hot section turbocharger housing. With everything in place and cowling installed everything will look exactly as original. Plus with this setup, upon engine start we may set off more than a few car alarms. It's still in work so the end product will look much better.

Attachment:
20141211_123939.jpg

Just to ask, because I am curious about why this modification was done.

Will this negatively affect the engine or turbocharger by using straight pipes instead of the turbocharger housing?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:16 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

grimes wrote:
Just to ask, because I am curious about why this modification was done.

Will this negatively affect the engine or turbocharger by using straight pipes instead of the turbocharger housing?

They do not need the turbos as the plane will not fly at altitude, and but getting rid of the turbos hot section they will be eliminating a number of parts and weight. There will be no effect on the engine and there will be plenty of power as the engine still has it's supercharger.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

As Matt said, the weight and maintenance are a big part, but also since they're using the same Hybrid engines as FiFi, the increased power of these engines makes them even more redundant as the engines will be operated at a lower power fraction than the old engines which gives more reserve power. Between that and the lighter overall weight (no bombs, not as much fuel, reduction in armor, etc), both Doc and FiFi are more than capable of cruising well into the flight levels (above 18,000 feet) even without their turbochargers if it should ever be needed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:39 pm 

Interesting. Thank you for the clarification. Can't wait to see Fifi and Doc fly together. I had the chance to see Aluminum Overcast and Fifi when they were in AZ last year. B-17's and B-29's are my favorite bombers. :supz:

Click for larger image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:23 pm 

CAPFlyer wrote:
As Matt said, the weight and maintenance are a big part, but also since they're using the same Hybrid engines as FiFi, the increased power of these engines makes them even more redundant as the engines will be operated at a lower power fraction than the old engines which gives more reserve power. Between that and the lighter overall weight (no bombs, not as much fuel, reduction in armor, etc), both Doc and FiFi are more than capable of cruising well into the flight levels (above 18,000 feet) even without their turbochargers if it should ever be needed.

Case in point, Rare Bear ran one of the engines designated for Fifi at the air races a couple years ago and did pretty well. After flying on Fifi earlier this year I was impressed by how quickly it got off the ground.

Will

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:08 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Is Wayne Gomes still around? We used to write letters and he got me to meet Owen Hughes who painted the nsoe art.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:15 pm 

ryguy135 wrote:
Chris Brame wrote:
Are there any known photos of Doc (or any of its fellow "dwarves") during its Air Force service?

We have acquired pictures of all 7 dwarves and Snow White with their original nose art. A few months ago a previously unknown 9th member of the squadron was discovered, the "Wicked Witch". I don't have digital copies of the pictures and for some of them the quality is lacking, but we do have them!

Hello Ryguy135, I am a new member of the WIX but have been watching for a while now. I am the Director of Maintenance for the Selfridge Military Air Museum here at Selfridge ANGB in Michigan. We are currently restoring an SNJ-4 to represent a T-6C Texan that was flown by the Michigan Guard. We have been researching the B-29 "Grumpy". My boss here has been trying to find the tail number of that B-29 and any pictures of the artwork. Not trying to hijack the thread so I apologize in advance. We have some talented folks here who do great work on these restorations and it is fantastic to see the kind of work being done on "Doc". Thanks for all you do!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

grimes wrote:
Interesting. Thank you for the clarification. Can't wait to see Fifi and Doc fly together.
I think that's what most plane fans are waiting for. The sight of a B-29 in flight is amazing, but plenty of people in the US have seen that over the years of Fifi. Two flying around? That hasn't been seen since, I think, the filming of the 'Enola Gay' movie in 1980 or so.
I know that the CAF has been talking with these folks and also looking forward to a formation, but I wonder if any thought's been put into when and where that happens first? Wherever that happens, there'll be folks from all over coming to see that!
You'd never be able to keep it secret but my dream would be at a show where nobody expects it, then someone yells out after putting down the binos, "Hey, there are two B-29s coming this way!"

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

What is the date they are shooting for?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

At this point, I'm just looking forward to DOC getting outside and starting engine runs and some taxi/flight testing. Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished plane gleaming in the sun. Anything else seems very optimistic given the amount of work that has been done on this plane...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:34 pm 
KiwiZac

Re formation opportunities, possibly the first will be at AirVenture if she's ready in time. The EAA put out a press release in January (available here: http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-ai ... ar-iis-end) with the following passage near the end:

"The V-J Day commemorative air shows will culminate with participation by the world’s only flying B-29, the CAF’s FIFI. In addition, the Wichita, Kansas-based restoration team for the B-29 Doc hopes to bring that airplane to Oshkosh this year."

I think they'll make it. :drink3:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:22 am 

I ran across a picture on Facebook the other day that shows an apparently complete "Doc" being towed out of the hangar. It was captioned as a "practice for the roll out". I can't find it now. Any updates???????????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next