Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rod Schneider wrote:
I ran across a picture on Facebook the other day that shows an apparently complete "Doc" being towed out of the hangar. It was captioned as a "practice for the roll out". I can't find it now. Any updates???????????

Are you talking about his picture?

It's not a real picture. Photoshop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:20 pm 

maxum96 wrote:
Rod Schneider wrote:
I ran across a picture on Facebook the other day that shows an apparently complete "Doc" being towed out of the hangar. It was captioned as a "practice for the roll out". I can't find it now. Any updates???????????

Are you talking about his picture?

It's not a real picture. Photoshop

No, not that picture. The one I saw did not look photoshopped or anything. It showed Doc being pulled out of the hangar.........

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The "DOC's Friends" Facebook page currently has an older picture (several years old) at the top of it's timeline showing the plane being towed out of a hangar (no engines, no outer wings, no rudder, etc. It's a very similar angle to the photo-shopped picture in this thread...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:43 pm 

Rod Schneider wrote:

I saw the same thing. The poster stated that they were preparing to move Doc outside. I attempted to find this again on the WIX FB page and it appears that it has been deleted. Some apparent CAF members took offense to somebody commenting that "CAF no longer has a monopoly". Egos sounded a bit bruised, waaah waaah waaaaaaaaaaaah, people complained....anyways CAF does an amazing job and nobody was trying to short them. I assume this is why the post was deleted.

The image clearly showed Doc being towed and I have not seen it anywhere else.
If I can find it (offline cached) I will post it here tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:54 pm 

I was hoping for some video of when he was still on his stands. Maybe gear up, gear down and gear doors, Ect. Am looking forward to (in the next few weeks or months) the Roll out, engine start/run in, taxi test and so on.

I don't remember WW II
I remember those who lived it

B-29 Watcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:01 pm 

Who let the Doc out?!?! Woof woof woof woof!
http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-ne ... today.html

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Any pictures out there of DOC when she was in active service...?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:09 am 

So whats the story now? In the winter...Doc was "waiting for warm weather to fly" now the restoration team is $9M short of making her airworthy? what happened in the last 4 months?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was under the impression that the majority of the 7-9 million was for securing a permanent home/hangar for the plane. I might be wrong...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:21 am 

Why do they need to build a hanger? Do u know how many empty hangers there are all over the country? I'm certain that some existing museum would sponsor the plane and give it hanger space when she's not flying...unless the group is hell bent on witchita... second...from the roll out pic... U can see into the cockpit...there are exposed wires out of the co-pilots panel...certainly not buttoned up... Seems like the fuel system has not yet been tested either..or the engines... I think the report from 2014 was a false one.. It most. Reliably does not appear like we're "waiting for warm weather to fly"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I believe there is a desire to keep the plane in the Wichita area. They would need a suitable hangar where they could perform routine maintenance, keep the plane out of the winter weather and provide access to the public. That doesn't come cheap these days with insurance, handicap facilities, parking, fire-suppression, etc., etc. Renting a suitable hangar that is ready to go is difficult to find and expensive. Buying one is even more so...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:32 am 

menards wrote:
Reliably does not appear like we're "waiting for warm weather to fly"

As always, this plane will fly when ready. It's so simple.
There are way too much parameter and tasks to finish, check and re-check to have now a date of completion and first flight.

Following this restoration since its early days, having seen the plane stored outside with a uncertain future and considering the super progress made in only one or two years (rebuilding 4 hybrid engines without having visible backing trouble, etc, etc) , I'm confident this plane will fly very soon and more importand when 200% ready.
Could they miss Oskosh this years, perhaps, I don't know, but in what it's a real problem ?

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 am 

Gear swings and more polishing :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22uDyJfrLcU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow...!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:55 pm 
KiwiZac

Wow. That polish....it's just amazing! Kudos to the team, Doc looks a billion dollars.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 40  Next