Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

menards wrote:

This joke only applies to long dated projects...not finished projects parked on the ramp in AW condition.

Now if you felt like being snarky, the correct response would be, "it will fly when the owners feel like flying it."

Since when do you decide when something applies ? The answer is good for any aircraft when the owner is not finished, or is fed up with people asking when they are going to fly it next. It could apply to the Mosquito, it is flyable, but not flown, so it could be flown again on Thursday.
When Doc flies again is up to the crew and they do not need a bunch of internet commandos wanting to know when it will fly again.

Anytime a date is announce for a first flight or any other test flight, IMO, it can create a condition of pressure to make the date, no matter what. First flights and test flight should be on a need to know basis.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:15 am 

Matt Gunsch wrote:
menards wrote:

This joke only applies to long dated projects...not finished projects parked on the ramp in AW condition.

Now if you felt like being snarky, the correct response would be, "it will fly when the owners feel like flying it."

Since when do you decide when something applies ? The answer is good for any aircraft when the owner is not finished, or is fed up with people asking when they are going to fly it next. It could apply to the Mosquito, it is flyable, but not flown, so it could be flown again on Thursday.
When Doc flies again is up to the crew and they do not need a bunch of internet commandos wanting to know when it will fly again.

Anytime a date is announce for a first flight or any other test flight, IMO, it can create a condition of pressure to make the date, no matter what. First flights and test flight should be on a need to know basis.

Since when do you decide who is or isn't allowed to ask questions? Since when are you the one to deem who is an "internet commando"'and who isn't? Since when do you decide who needs to know what? The whole premise of WIX is for these types of discussions. You know what? Maybe we should just shut the whole WIX forum down because Matt Gunsch says so. Apparently he's real special.

FYI. It was Docs Friends who said the second flight was going to happen in late August....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:44 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Your the one who started this, I do not know what your experience is with restorations or building of aircraft. I understand people on the outside wanting to know when a first, second or any test flight is going to take place, but when it comes down to it, it is NONE of their business. The job at hand is to fly the plane SAFELY, PERIOD. To put a date and time out puts stress out to make the date and time, hence the answer to all flight questions of Thursday.
Don't like it, restore your own plane, post it on the internet, listen to everyone ask when it is going to fly and see what answer you come up with. (hint, you might try Wednesday, if you don't like Thursday)

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:36 pm 

Matt Gunsch wrote:
Your the one who started this, I do not know what your experience is with restorations or building of aircraft. I understand people on the outside wanting to know when a first, second or any test flight is going to take place, but when it comes down to it, it is NONE of their business. The job at hand is to fly the plane SAFELY, PERIOD. To put a date and time out puts stress out to make the date and time, hence the answer to all flight questions of Thursday.
Don't like it, restore your own plane, post it on the internet, listen to everyone ask when it is going to fly and see what answer you come up with. (hint, you might try Wednesday, if you don't like Thursday)

Yes, "I'm the one who started this" by asking when doc's next flight was, after the managing group put out out there it was going to be in late August. You were the one replying with snarky remarks and an entitled attitude. Again, the WIX forum is here for the specific purpose of warbird discussion. If that kind of info is not the buisness of "outsiders"...then shut the site site down, per Matt Gunsch. Or, if what u perceive to be "outsiders" asking questions and discussing warbirds offends you... U Leave the forum....otherwise ur just trolling at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:46 pm 
KiwiZac

Doc news! From Facebook, posted five hours ago (there are two very nice dawn photos by Tracy J Norman but I can't access FB to link it as I'm at work):

"Good morning, beautiful. The restoration crew is running engines today and then moving our B-29 into the hangar before the chance of severe weather in the Wichita area later this afternoon. Stay tuned for second flight info!"

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

KiwiZac wrote:
Doc news! From Facebook, posted five hours ago (there are two very nice dawn photos by Tracy J Norman but I can't access FB to link it as I'm at work):

"Good morning, beautiful. The restoration crew is running engines today and then moving our B-29 into the hangar before the chance of severe weather in the Wichita area later this afternoon. Stay tuned for second flight info!"

Cheers Zac: nice to know.

It seems we can only ask a narrow band of 'approved' questions related to Doc, so we all await instructions like this for fear of incurring the wrath of the internet gestapo.

:drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:42 am 

quemerford wrote:
KiwiZac wrote:

It seems we can only ask a narrow band of 'approved' questions related to Doc, so we all await instructions like this for fear of incurring the wrath of the internet gestapo.

LOL! Yes, remember everyone, if you don't own a warbird, are rated to fly a warbird, are licensed to work on warbirds, or you like to keep your ability to do any of the above three private, for obvious reasons, some people here think your not worthy to discuss anything. that "Its none or your business." Honestly I'm surprised the site is still running.

What some of the "elitists" on these boards don't realize, is that without the "average joe's" interest in these planes, there is no warbird community. The reason the airshows exist is BECAUSE of the 1,000s of people that drive 1,000s of miles and fork over the gate fee, the overpriced food fee, the ride fee, the tour fee ect. The reason the Museums exist is because of the memberships and countless volunteer hours donated to preserving an era of aviation history. This collective group of people is just as important to the community as the billionaire restoring a rare one-off for their own personal use and storage in a private hanger... no one is better than the other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:38 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Come on, guys. Can't we just let this go? Is this really worth getting all worked up over? This petty sniping back and forth is what causes a lot of good contributors to abandon web sites like WIX, and when that happens, we all lose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Doc news or go home!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:03 pm 

menards wrote:
quemerford wrote:
KiwiZac wrote:

LOL! Yes, remember everyone, if you don't own a warbird, are rated to fly a warbird, are licensed to work on warbirds, or you like to keep your ability to do any of the above three private, for obvious reasons, some people here think your not worthy to discuss anything. that "Its none or your business." Honestly I'm surprised the site is still running.

What some of the "elitists" on these boards don't realize, is that without the "average joe's" interest in these planes, there is no warbird community. The reason the airshows exist is BECAUSE of the 1,000s of people that drive 1,000s of miles and fork over the gate fee, the overpriced food fee, the ride fee, the tour fee ect. The reason the Museums exist is because of the memberships and countless volunteer hours donated to preserving an era of aviation history. This collective group of people is just as important to the community as the billionaire restoring a rare one-off for their own personal use and storage in a private hanger... no one is better than the other.

Well said....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I assume it is a Boeing Hangar they can get in? Will Doc be able to spend the winter in that same hangar?

Tom P.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:48 am 

Boeing sold their facilities about 2 years ago, and the hangars are now owned and operated by a company called Air Capital Flightline. But yes, they are the former Boeing hangars, and yes, Doc will spend the winter there I expect while waiting to get room across town at KICT. Right now it has been parked in a hangar next to one Bombardier is renting to refurbish its flight test CSeries planes for delivery.

And to answer everyone's question about why no second flight yet - we have had rain after rain after rain lately. It's rained every weekend for 4 weeks I think now, including 9 inches in 24 hours last weekend. I can't say for certain weather is the only thing delaying a second flight, but I'm sure it's been a factor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:02 am 

Second flight is minutes from takeoff. You can track it on Flightradar24 N69972

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:15 pm 

Just got an email notification that the second flight ran just under an hour. Good job to all!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:30 pm 

There is a little bit of video from today's flight on the website.

http://www.b-29doc.com/2016/10/01/video ... nd-flight/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 40  Next