Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:26 pm 

Sorry about that. My name is Geoff and I have been in the USAF as a KC-10 and KC-135 Crew Chief for just over 19 years. I am a member of Doc Friends and while I am currently reading up on the inspection criteria my job over there is to inspect and sign off the work done. I went from signing off Red Xs in the AF to signing off Red Xs on Doc! hahaha!

I will post more as I find out about the progress of this beautiful bird. We still have a lot to do but the plane is coming along great. Fuel cells will be going in soon and the leading edge needs to be installed as well. I will keep you all posted. The plan is still to fly the plane this year and it looks like that is truly going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Apologies if it's been posted before. I think this is Doc at China Lake (sounds like a Beefheart album!)

Also anyone know what happened to 44-62112 or 44-62134 at China Lake:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Apologies if those didn't work. Here goes again:

Plus a couple of wrecks:

Last one supposedly 44-62134.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm 

quemerford wrote:

Also anyone know what happened to 44-62112 or 44-62134 at China Lake:

Hello quemerford: here is the information available on the 2 B-29s you asked about. It is on" Wikipedia - List of surviving Boeing B-29 Superfortresses".Here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_su ... fortresses

44-62134 is in storage at china lake.

44-62112 was one of 4 bought by Disney Then Destroyed along with 44-62222, these two are mentioned in the section on 44-84084.

I think I read the two planes were destroyed off Hawaii, but I don't know. Does anyone out there know?

And the first three pictures are of DOC, but older because Doc had lost a propeller later.

I don't remember WW II
I remember those who lived it

B-29 Watcher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well, Doc is now sporting 4 engines and 4 props. From Doc's Facebook page,

I'm dying to see Doc and FIFI in formation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:31 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Outstanding...! I've been looking forward to this for years...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 pm 

maxum96 wrote:
Well, Doc is now sporting 4 engines and 4 props. From Doc's Facebook page,

I'm dying to see Doc and FIFI in formation.

It sure was fun installing that engine and prop. I had a blast and the guys I'm working with/for are some of the best I have EVER worked with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 pm 

Wow, I am impressed All four! I read Tracy J Norman's answer to everyone's Questions
(here is the copy from DOC's facebook page and a link). More pictures on the link.

https://www.facebook.com/DocsFriends

Tracy J Norman Hi everyone, I'll try to answer a few questions. Unfortunately Doc will not make OSH this year. We will have two booths set up this year so if your at OSH this year stop by and see us in Warbird Alley. Doc WILL be there next year, count on it. We have one turret, a lower aft, but it's a brand new out of the box turret that is complete so will probably go into our museum display. To put it on the airplane, because of weight and balance, we would have to completely dissemble it and use just the part that seen on the outside of the airplane and if would be a real shame to see it tore apart, but to answer your question, we most defiantly plan on having them, just have to find them. We are just in the planning stages for air shows next year. The engines are 3350 Hybrids. A -95 front end and a -26WD back end. Finally, I'm going to go out on a limb and say with a lot of luck, we are looking at a mid to late October first flight., but if it goes into November, so be it. After 14 years we're not going to take any shortcuts now. TJ

It has been a long time coming, but the first flight is not to far off.

I don't remember WW II
I remember those who lived it

B-29 Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 am 

For those of us who are far away I hope they can stream the first flight live online. I can't wait to see videos of the engines being started. I still remember whe the CAF put this online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCF3BOR4LUg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:55 pm 

Jeremy S wrote:
For those of us who are far away I hope they can stream the first flight live online. I can't wait to see videos of the engines being started. I still remember whe the CAF put this online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCF3BOR4LUg

I cannot wait to see this happen on Doc! It is gonna be one of the happiest moments of my life seeing those 4 motors running and those huge props turning. There won't be a dry eye in the crowd when we do it this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A huge kudos to anyone and everyone who has been involved in any way in this massive undertaking. Without a doubt the restoration of "Doc" has got to be one of the highlights of the warbird restoration world in recent times and that is saying something when you consider some of the warbirds currently being restored or recently completed. I certainly am very excited at the prospect that "Doc" may very well fly before the end of this year. Keep on truckin'!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:52 pm 

Flap jackscrews have been installed now. No flaps just yet, need to get the torque tubes taken care of. Trying to get power on, but the wiring is being a pain in the butt. Will keep you updatd when I can.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:56 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I stopped by the OSH booth and am really excited about seeing Doc flying. I can't tell you how excited I am to see a polished NMF B-29 in flight.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 pm 

For you non-Facebook guys:

Getting closer!! Didn't they estimate first flight to be in October/November of this year? Any word from you guys directly involved?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

from what I see, they would be lucky to fly before the end of the year. It has been this long, no need to rush at the end.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 40  Next