Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fighter Factory
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:15 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mudge wrote:
Someone, a couple of pages ago, asked if the Mossie was still gonna' be at Geneseo. Does anyone know for sure. That's the only reason we were going. If it's not there, were not there.

Mudge the hopeful

Ditto for me and Thunder. If the Mossie and 262 are scratched, I'll probably give it a miss.

Sure glad we went to Hamilton! It was woth it, even though we nearly got killed when a tractor-trailer ran us into the ditch on the way home.

Whatever the reasons for the current situation, I'm grateful to Mr. Yagen for all he's done to keep so many warbirds in the skies. Back in 2008, the IPMS (the model airplane geeks) National Convention was in VA Beach, and Mr. Yagen hosted a BBQ for us at MAM, and gave us free reign of the hangars for the evening. He even took a few people up in his Stearman. I was hoping for a similar party when the convention is in Hampton next year, but it looks like that won't be happening.

At the end of the evening, the guys presented Mr. Yagen with a model of his P-51 as a "Thank You" gift.

I took one of my all-time favorite warbird photos that evening..I didn't realize how prophetic it would turn out to be.

Steve the heavy hearted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:29 am 

Great photos and a gorgeous one to finish but yes, so prophetic!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:00 am 

51fixer wrote:
My understanding is that MAM won't be doing any flying going forward...

The only events they now have listed are in Sept and include the Plane Pull and Dulles (PBY, P-40) and the Virginia Air Show in Front Royal (P-51).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Steve Nelson wrote:
Mudge wrote:
Someone, a couple of pages ago, asked if the Mossie was still gonna' be at Geneseo. Does anyone know for sure. That's the only reason we were going. If it's not there, were not there.

Mudge the hopeful

Ditto for me and Thunder. If the Mossie and 262 are scratched, I'll probably give it a miss.

Sure glad we went to Hamilton! It was woth it, even though we nearly got killed when a tractor-trailer ran us into the ditch on the way home.

Whatever the reasons for the current situation, I'm grateful to Mr. Yagen for all he's done to keep so many warbirds in the skies. Back in 2008, the IPMS (the model airplane geeks) National Convention was in VA Beach, and Mr. Yagen hosted a BBQ for us at MAM, and gave us free reign of the hangars for the evening. He even took a few people up in his Stearman. I was hoping for a similar party when the convention is in Hampton next year, but it looks like that won't be happening.

At the end of the evening, the guys presented Mr. Yagen with a model of his P-51 as a "Thank You" gift.

I took one of my all-time favorite warbird photos that evening..I didn't realize how prophetic it would turn out to be.

Steve the heavy hearted.

Hey, I'm in the front of that Stearman in that shot! (TRUE STORY)

Steve, I was out at the museum yesterday, and things aren't as bad as people are making it sound at the moment. It's not ideal, no, and there will be some significant absences in the collection starting with Chuckie and the JG 1 Fw 190 (two of my absolute favorites), but I've already told the other folks on the Contest Committee not to start canceling any tours for next year's Nationals. Things are still in a state of flux, so let's give it a week or two to let things shake out before we start burying the Military Aviation Museum and it's fantastic, highly capable staff, ok?

And like I said before: Listen to Craig Q. He's the guy who led the FM-2 restoration team... if he says don't count them out, then don't do it! :)

Lynn

PS: I'm still gonna miss Chuckie, though. At least my daughter and I got to say goodbye and wish her well yesterday. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I sent an Email to HAG asking for definitive info on the presence or absence of the Mossie. I would think they'd have been advised by the new owner (if any) by now. No word back yet.

Mudge the researcher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 am 

Thread on the HAG 1941 message board:
http://1941hagforums.mykingairb200.com/ ... f=7&t=2538

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am 

At this time, the most reliable information I can provide from HAG is that yes, the "rumors" are true, Mossie is being/has been sold, and it's appearance schedule is being modified.

That being said, we DO have a signed contract. We are still waiting to hear if the new owner (whomever that may be) is willing and/or able to honor that contract. Once we have an accurate and reliable answer, we will let you know ASAP.

Thanks
Dawn
National Warplane Museum

Geneseo, NY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well...I can still cancel the hotel up until 7/11. BUT...ASAP is an open ended term. Yeah...I know I'm being a pain in butt cynic (what's new?) but I hope HAG is up front with us and is not delaying just to bump up the gate.

Mudge the professional curMUDGEon :hide:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am 

Dave Homewood wrote:

I too want to thank Jerry and Elaine for their dedication to warbirds and the restoration of so many amazing types. Especially for the Mosquito project which they wowed all of New Zealand and the world with. We will never forget what they achieved. My best wishes go out to all affected by this.

I would like to say thank you for this words. Totally agree

http://www.meiermotors.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:45 am 

Mudge,

The answer I gave is the best and most honest answer we have. While ASAP may be open ended, it is truly our intention to notify everyone as soon as we have an answer. It's not just airshow fans that have questions that are up in the air, so to speak, but also those of us that are planning and producing air shows.

Dawn

Geneseo, NY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

lmritger wrote:
Steve, I was out at the museum yesterday, and things aren't as bad as people are making it sound at the moment. It's not ideal...but I've already told the other folks on the Contest Committee not to start canceling any tours for next year's Nationals. Things are still in a state of flux, so let's give it a week or two to let things shake out before we start burying the Military Aviation Museum and it's fantastic, highly capable staff, ok

Thanks Lynn..that's a bit encouraging! We're looking forward to next year's Nats, especially since we have to give this year a miss..too many bills piled up from a medical mess last winter.

SN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:38 pm 

Steve Nelson wrote:
lmritger wrote:
Steve, I was out at the museum yesterday, and things aren't as bad as people are making it sound at the moment. It's not ideal...but I've already told the other folks on the Contest Committee not to start canceling any tours for next year's Nationals. Things are still in a state of flux, so let's give it a week or two to let things shake out before we start burying the Military Aviation Museum and it's fantastic, highly capable staff, ok

Thanks Lynn..that's a bit encouraging! We're looking forward to next year's Nats, especially since we have to give this year a miss..too many bills piled up from a medical mess last winter.

SN

I have the lists of aircraft for sale and quick review shows that it contains everything he owns. There is even a line item for the facility "Virginia Beach Museum with 5 hangars/8 buildings". This list and other things I have heard don't lead me to believe there is a lot of positive in this for the MAM collection.

Yagen built a great collection and if this is the end, we were fortunate someone with his dedication jumped into the hobby we enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm 

ALL IN. see link below:
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/06/va-beac ... collection

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
Gerald Yagen, owner of the Military Aviation Museum near Pungo, said on Monday he no longer has the money to keep the collection.

I’m subsidizing it heavily every year and my business no longer allows me to do that financially, and therefore I don’t have a solution for it,” he said.

Yagen said the four vocational trade schools he owns, including the Aviation Institute of Maintenance in Chesapeake, have been acquired.
“I just don’t have the money anymore,” he said.

I never realized that it was supposed to be a money making venture?

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 pm 

There is something missing from this. He's shutting down the AIM's too. It would seem logical that one might go, not the other.
It looks like some people found out through that article that they need to update their resumes too.
It's a darn shame to know that these birds are scattering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next