Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fighter Factory
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:58 am 

DaveM2 wrote:
Lets not forget that it isn't only those employees at VA who are affected. Jerry had a large number of airframes under rebuild around the world, and shops such as Meiers/Gosshawk and Precision have already had to stop work for a number of weeks on these projects.
All the aircraft sold to date are going to good homes and will be well looked after- the immediate concern should be for the livelihoods of those who are directly affected by this.

Of course you are absolutely right. My first thought should have been with the people, not the planes. I hope everything will turn out well for everybody involved.

A big thank you to Jerry Yagen and his family for giving me lots of fun and joy seeing his great collection.

And yes, let´s wait and see what will evolve from this. Maybe it will be better than some of us fear it would.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 am 

Kermit posted on Facebook he was at MAM..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into Kermit's visit because he was in DC on Friday touring the Smithsonian's S-43 to get information on his new restoration. His visit could have been simply to visit Jerry and the gang since he'd never been there before (as he said on his facebook post too). It would be great if Kermit got some of his planes, but I have my doubts since he's already tight on space as it is and while he'd be getting flyers, I think if anything, he might buy some of the parts store (which he showed a picture of) since he's got room for those in the new storage hangars/buildings.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Platinum Fighter Sales says on their Facebook page that the B-17 and FW-190 are sold and are going to Oregon.

Also, on their web site:

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!news- ... sitepage_5

"21 June 2013: We're not just in the sales business, were in the information business. Two weeks ago we learned that the Yagen / Military Aircraft Collection was coming up for sale. Platinum Flighter Sales flew back to Virginia Beach and quickly put together a package deal on the B-17G Flying Fortress and FW-190A8."

-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:32 am 

I Google earth'd the Lewis Ranch Airport at Encinal ,Texas and there seems to be not enough space to store all his aircraft listed on his website. Are they stored at San Antonio? His FG-1, thru the FAA, has a San Antonio address listed, but that just might be for legal reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like my original post wasn't speculation after all about the B-17 and 190 going to OR. As for the Corsair you never know it may just have a CA address soon :wink:

BTW the folks who are, and have been, employees, consultants and contractors for Yagen's empire have never been forgotten or excluded in the thought process of hearing this news, at the very least not by me. When I heard this development the first thought was for the welfare of the 'people' directly involved in this decision. I have had to make similar decisions in the past with employees in my own business world and it's a very difficult and heart wrenching process. One that never seems to have a positive outcome for those involved with the possibility of losing jobs and/or projects. Never one to make excuses, but the world is just not the same as far as anything that resembles 'job security' anymore and it's a good idea to always have that thought in mind. The best way to appreciate the employment situation you are currently in is to always be prepared for the possibility of losing that employment. Live simple and save.

I wish the very best for ALL the folks directly involved in this development. The airplanes will be fine no matter where they go, it's the people who need the support and care.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:57 am 

Wow, very sad to hear about all these aircraft are heading away from there. I know the area of VA Beach that the MAM is in it very quickly being developed on. The museum grew very fast in it's collection size. I echo the other comments about hoping that these planes stay flying.
When I take leave and come through to visit the "Out-laws" in VA Beach, I'd normally "hide" at the museum for hours to escape them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:00 pm 

pjpahs wrote:
I Google earth'd the Lewis Ranch Airport at Encinal ,Texas and there seems to be not enough space to store all his aircraft listed on his website. Are they stored at San Antonio? His FG-1, thru the FAA, has a San Antonio address listed, but that just might be for legal reasons.

If you look closely, he's actually got two airports south of SAT (conjecture, there seems to be evidence of two. Look for the "RL" painted on the ramps at the private airports). Also, There is a article about him sitting at his office in a hanger at SAT overlooking part of his collection, which I poked around looking for a while when I was stationed nearby and came up empty handed (that means I wasn't looking hard enough).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:41 pm 

I found one airfield that fits your description east of the Lewis Air Ranch, and it looks like there is a newer large hangar on the field, and the runway looks like it as been lengthened recently to over 6200 ft. Now to find the other one...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've known for two weeks and was shocked as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:51 pm 

Adding to the conjecture, A friend of mine in Kansas City is attending Aviation Institute of Maintenance, and they fired all their admission staff. They're not taking any new students and the ones they do have they're going to allow to finish the program before shutting their doors. Students still enrolled are allowed to finish, but they will not be resupplying them with items when they run out. AIM is Jerry's company.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 pm 
Jump Street

In all these years I somehow never made it down to MAM. Looks like I need to talk to the wife and a quick trip down there in next couple of weeks has to be made....just in case!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Someone, a couple of pages ago, asked if the Mossie was still gonna' be at Geneseo. Does anyone know for sure. That's the only reason we were going. If it's not there, we're not there.

Mudge the hopeful

Last edited by Mudge on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mudge wrote:
Someone, a couple of pages ago, asked if the Mossie was still gonna' be at Geneseo. Does anyone know for sure. That's the only reason we were going. If it's not there, were not there.

Mudge the hopeful

My understanding is that MAM won't be doing any flying going forward.
The Mossie probably already has a new owner.
Whether ownership changes happen by then and they honor previous commitments is to be seen.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

51fixer wrote:
The Mossie probably already has a new owner.

If true, It would be neat to make an entrance at Oshkosh....if the EAA & FAA can keep a secret.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next