Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

b-18 bolo

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:33 am

has anybody ever recovered a crashed b-18 bolo?? while not 1 of the more exciting birds, & a below par performer, the type is pertinent to ww 2 aviation history on the east coast of the u.s. & canada, carribbean & panama canal area in anti sub patrol, as well as a short operational life in the phillipines at the start of the war. i'm just curious because this is one of the rarer bombers of the war. i know some are in museums in the u.s., but i want to know about any recovered crashes of 1. regards, tom

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:20 am

I was thinking the same thing, sort of. Just recently someone said that a recovery effort was underway to retrieve that derlict B-18 hanging in the jungle of one of Hawaii's Islands. Would be nice to know the status of that recovery. Here are some shots of the Bolo owned by Asiafan.
http://community.webshots.com/album/150691607cqHpbm?591

Shay

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:05 pm

I also have to think that there is still a good possibilty that some are still down in old Mexico derelict.

Shay

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:13 pm

The B-18 turret in a museum on the West Coast was chopped from that B-18 crash on the Island of Hawaii (the Big Island). The damage to the rest of the plane from that relic "recovery" may preclude proper recovery.
Aloha,
David Aiken

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:22 pm

From my understanding the retractable doral turret from that Bolo now reside in the B-18 at the NMUSAF.

Shay

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:32 pm

The B-18 "blank" crashed in Hawaii...and the (USAF) Museum has a B-18A. Sadly, for all the salvor's research done (seemingly none), the B-18 "blank" turret would not fit IN the B-18A.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:43 pm

There was also a B-18 crash in Guatemala, in the jungle areas of Ixcan; this was more than 40 years ago, and I have no idea as to the severity of the crash or if there are any remains; coordinates are also unknown.

This is one of those iffy locations; there was a lot of guerrilla activity back in the 1970-1980s, and some areas were heavily mined; the United Nations reportedly removed all the mines, but . . .

Saludos,

Tulio

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:17 pm

I have always thought that a B-18 and B-23 would be really neat on the airshow sene.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:04 pm

David_Aiken wrote:The B-18 "blank" crashed in Hawaii...and the (USAF) Museum has a B-18A. Sadly, for all the salvor's research done (seemingly none), the B-18 "blank" turret would not fit IN the B-18A.

David,

I presume that your reference to "blank" is because according to the older historians, neither the B-18 or B-23 were called by the aforementioned names? The names given to both the B-18 and B-23 were nicknames given to the planes much later in life, thus they should only be called a B-18 or B-23. Just for historical purposes.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:56 pm

Why would anyone call a B-23 a "Dragon" if they already new what it could do?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:14 pm

Douglas RB-18B "Bolo", 37-574 (c/n 2574, anti-submarine conversion, previous USA registration NC66281) was registered in Honduras as XH-016, and sold to Mexico on September 1949.

Whereabouts would be greatly appreciated by someone at the NASM.

Cheers,

Amado

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:01 pm

Roger Cain wrote:
David_Aiken wrote:The B-18 "blank" crashed in Hawaii...and the (USAF) Museum has a B-18A. Sadly, for all the salvor's research done (seemingly none), the B-18 "blank" turret would not fit IN the B-18A.

David,

I presume that your reference to "blank" is because according to the older historians, neither the B-18 or B-23 were called by the aforementioned names? The names given to both the B-18 and B-23 were nicknames given to the planes much later in life, thus they should only be called a B-18 or B-23. Just for historical purposes.

Hi Roger,
I used "blank" because very few folk know that there was just a B-18, then a B-18A, etc...so the round nose B-18 (without a letter) is "blank"...or nothing behind the B-18...
HTH,
David

Hawaii B-18 serial?

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:34 am

I've been trying to find the serial of this plane for a while; the AAIR site's crash records list B-18 36-446 of the 11th Bombardment Group as having crashed due to engine failure at Waimanu on February 25, 1941 - is this the one?

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:17 am

There was a B-18 crash in New Hampshire on January 14 1942.

http://www.lostbirds.com/B18.html

(just as a side note to B-18 crash site, I plan to make the hike up to see it some time)

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:58 am

tim, i checked out the link. definetely put that hike on your to do list!! looks interesting. what a way to spend an autumn afternoon
Post a reply