Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Who made R-1820's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 am 

My late father-in-law was a flight engineer on B-17F's/G's [483rdBG]. He told me stories of liking the Wrights over Studebaker "junk"....

He never did proffer a real reason only to say they were built better and lasted longer!

My T-28's 1820 was built by Lycoming!

Post subject: Re: Who made R-1820's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:16 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_R-1820

Post subject: Studebaker built R-1820s
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:49 am 

Regarding Studebaker built R-1820s, the following is quoted from the late Roger Freeman's book: "The B-17 Flying Fortress Story: Design - Production - History"

"In addition to production from the Wright plant at Patterson, New Jersey, R-1820 engines were from 1941 license-built by the Studebaker Corporation at a South Bend, Indiana, factory. In fact, although at first mostly found on Douglas and Vega models, the majority of engines used in B-17s came from this source, although the early products were considered inferior to those from Wright. Malfunctions experienced with Studebaker engines led to a generally held bias for Wright products among B-17 pilots and mechanics, although, once manufacturing difficulties had been overcome, the Studebaker engine was equally reliable and gave good service."

See: http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23095

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 am 

I worked on some of the Pratt & Whitney Canada built examples many years ago. They were -MR5s, I think. One day I was given the task of calling around to find a source for top overhaul kits. Everyone I spoke to got hung up on the dash number I told them I had. I explained to one gentleman that these engines were Pratt & Whitney licence built engines, which might explain the unfamiliar dash number. There was a pause at the other end, and finally he said, "Son, that's like telling me you have a Ford engine built by Chevy. That just can't be right".

I'd like to learn more about the R-1820 (this seems like a good place). I was a (pretty overwhelmed) apprentice back then, so much of the information that was being fired at me just didn't go in.

Further to the original poster's question, would an R-1820 dash number give a clue to its manufacturer? For example, is a -MR5 automatically a P&W Canada built example?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Extrapolate a bit, IF DODGE hadn't been awarded a contract to build R-3350's (and gone to work on correcting engineering and design issues that WRIGHT couldn't seem to figure out) do you suppose that the 3350 would have been yet another CONTNENTAL X-2100 'nice try, but' engine?
and, could you ask someone today 'That thing got a HEMI in it?' :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:14 pm 

The Inspector wrote:
Extrapolate a bit, IF DODGE hadn't been awarded a contract to build R-3350's (and gone to work on correcting engineering and design issues that WRIGHT couldn't seem to figure out) do you suppose that the 3350 would have been yet another CONTNENTAL X-2100 'nice try, but' engine?
and, could you ask someone today 'That thing got a HEMI in it?' :wink:

I do not believe Dodge did much but produce the r-3350 series ba engine. That engine used in the b-29 and b-32's remained a problem through the war. The later Wright engines produced after the war by Wright at Woodridge NJ were a total redesign from the war time BA series. The post war CA, DA and EA series had a 4 piece crankcase vs a 3 piece crankcase which allowed a wider cylinder spacing between the rows which also allowed the front cylinders to have rear facing exhaust ports, other improvements were forged cylinder heads , low tension ignition and of course turbo compounding

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:25 pm 

PropsRule wrote:
I worked on some of the Pratt & Whitney Canada built examples many years ago. They were -MR5s, I think. One day I was given the task of calling around to find a source for top overhaul kits. Everyone I spoke to got hung up on the dash number I told them I had. I explained to one gentleman that these engines were Pratt & Whitney licence built engines, which might explain the unfamiliar dash number. There was a pause at the other end, and finally he said, "Son, that's like telling me you have a Ford engine built by Chevy. That just can't be right".

I'd like to learn more about the R-1820 (this seems like a good place). I was a (pretty overwhelmed) apprentice back then, so much of the information that was being fired at me just didn't go in.

Further to the original poster's question, would an R-1820 dash number give a clue to its manufacturer? For example, is a -MR5 automatically a P&W Canada built example?

I have a data plate from a Canadian P&W Wright 1820 It is 983C9HE1 1820's were built by Wright,Studebaker, Lycoming Canadian Pratt & Whitney and some Eastern bloc countries. The Aircraft Engine Historical Society web site Enginehistory.org has a wealth of info on aircraft engines