Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The museum announced today that they are to move to a newly-built hangar at Madras by Jan 2016. All tied in with the recent purchase of an Air Tanker operation at Madras apparently. A shame they'll quit the iconic blimp hangar, but it does lessen the chance of the whole collection going up in smoke one day. That explains why there has been such a big push to get stuff airworthy lately.

I'm now glad I made the trip up there last year to visit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, at least the airport in Madras has a whole bunch of nice ramp space not covered by any sort of aviating machines. It's way in H E ll over the mountains on the high desert near that paradise on earth Bend, OR. Apparently no one @ Tillamook heard the words 'location-location-location' because Madras is two blocks past the sticks, and well off the side road to the beaten path.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:07 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I never had the opportunity to make it to Tillamook either, so no difference to me. If I was making a special trip it wouldn't matter. I'm not sure that either location is on my way to anywhere.

Will they fly the Guppy to the new location, or is it destined for scrap? What will happen to the hangar?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm 

Went there a couple years ago, if your in the area you all need to visit. Especially like it because most of the aircraft were not roped off. Could really get up close and personal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm torn on this. It's such a shame that the iconic blimb hangar there will be empty again, and it was a neat place to go as the dairy tour was nearby (so the family had something else to do there).
But on the flipside, it's in the absolute middle of nowhere, that town is not on the way to anywhere.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm quite certain there's more to it than just a relocation. Economics most certainly the dominant factor. Even being relocated to a supposedly obscure area doesn't diminish the fact that financially (and possibly better facilities and climate) is a better solution than where they were (opinion of course).

I paid a visit to Tillamook once a while back and even though the large hangar is impressive, it still had the look and feel of a large fire waiting to happen. Actually there was a forest fire in the general area when I paid my visit. But not to be taken negatively, Tillamook OR is a very nice area for many reasons and an extremely beautiful area indeed. The existing large hangar at Tillamook most deservedly should be preserved if possible. It's a wonderful old building.

If it requires an organization to relocate to what we would perceive as an undesirable location for the sake of that organization to survive (and thrive) I'm all for the extra travel time. We won't see the last of these type relocations as the Yanks organization I believe is still in the process of relocating to Greenfield CA, which even though is located right off the California 101 freeway, is still located in a relatively obscure area of Central California. But the good thing is it's closer to me :wink:

Best of luck to the move and future plans.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I think that Yanks current plan is to maintain two museums. I think the County of San Bernardino made them an offer they couldn't refuse. Just what I've heard though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:47 pm 

bdk wrote:
I never had the opportunity to make it to Tillamook either, so no difference to me. If I was making a special trip it wouldn't matter. I'm not sure that either location is on my way to anywhere.
Tillamook is on the 'scenic' OR coast and can/could easily be combined with McMinnville (Evergreen). The museum was never exactly overrun with visitors - part of its charm - but I guarantee there will be fewer, far fewer at Madras.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Funny, their website lists nothing about the move and even lists events going into late summer at the Tillamook site...
Mark Allen M wrote:
I paid a visit to Tillamook once a while back and even though the large hangar is impressive, it still had the look and feel of a large fire waiting to happen.
There were two of those hangars there into recent years. One burned down as a hay storage site (sort of like using a fueled Hindenberg to store matches and road flares in, if you ask me) in the early 90s.
I can't help but wonder how much longer the remaining hangar will be there after the museum leaves. The upkeep of that place was pretty high, as I understood it.
I'm shaking my head at a move to Madras. There weren't that many people going there as it was, I think a big part of the draw of the place was being able to go inside such a massive building.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Judging from the Google Earth images, It doesn't look like many commercial aircraft based out there.

If the museum leaves, is there a chance the airport would be closed?

Isn't it a possibly for them to build a new complex onsite at Tillamook to house the museum and it's collection, while still taking people on tours through the (then) empty blimp hangar?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is what they posted on facebook.

Press Release:

“April 3, 2013

“Tillamook, Oregon

“Erickson Aero Tanker, a related entity to Erickson Group,. Ltd., who owns the Tillamook Air Museum, recently purchased an air-tanker operation based in Madras Oregon. Erickson Aero Tanker operates three DC7 air-tankers and is developing an MD87 new generation air-tanker with plans to operate a fleet of at least seven tankers for global aerial firefighting.

“As a result, Erickson announced today that it does not intend to renew its lease with the Port of Tillamook Bay at the expiration of the parties lease in January 2016. The World War II blimp hangar currently houses both the Erickson vintage aircraft collection and aircraft on loan to the Port of Tillamook from the US Navy.

“Museum General Manager, Michael Oliver commented; ‘It will be business as usual for us this year, though we do expect some changes as we work with the Port during this transitional period. Our Madras operation offers both an opportunity to locate our vintage aircraft collection to a more conducive climate with a skilled workforce capable of maintaining these unique and valuable aircraft into the future.’

“Construction on a new 65,000 square foot hanger will start this summer. This facility along with an existing 22,000 square foot facility will support the modification and maintenance of the aerial tanker fleet, with storage for, and eventual display of the vintage aircraft collection started by Jack Erickson in 1983.

“The Erickson Group, Ltd. Is a family holding company owned by Jack Erickson. This family business was founded in 1937 in forest products and presently has business interests in aviation, investments and commercial real estate.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:31 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I suspect it is a private collection and they can pretty much care less if anyone comes to see it. It may only be open to the public for the tax benefits.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What are thery going to do? hire all the laidoff ex CESSNA /Lanceair folks who know CFRP? Good thing Deschutes Brewing is located there. have a couple Chain Breakers or Red Chair Ales.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WallyB wrote:
bdk wrote:
Tillamook is on the 'scenic' OR coast and can/could easily be combined with McMinnville (Evergreen). .

Exactly...If you're in the general area, it is easy to get to. During our week on the coast, by wife didn't mind the two visits to aircraft museums.

I wonder what's goingto happen to the static aircraft...Neptune, Guppy, etc.

I was thrilled to see a HTK, but that can fit on a trailer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
WallyB wrote:
bdk wrote:
Tillamook is on the 'scenic' OR coast and can/could easily be combined with McMinnville (Evergreen). .

Exactly...If you're in the general area, it is easy to get to. During our week on the coast, by wife didn't mind the two visits to aircraft museums.

I wonder what's goingto happen to the static aircraft...Neptune, Guppy, etc.

I was thrilled to see a HTK, but that can fit on a trailer.

They had the Neptune running within the last couple weeks so that may answer that one.

Here's video but the link may not work if you're not on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151513891774173