Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 am 

Thanks for all the information and AWESOME pics Larry!!!

As far as the birds go- I worry about the Guppy...

(as seen sometime during the Summer of 2010, or was it '11?)

But besides all the sweet birds in that hanger, I worry most for the hanger itself.
I wonder what will become of it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

StudeDave wrote:
Thanks for all the information and AWESOME pics Larry!!!

As far as the birds go- I worry about the Guppy...

(as seen sometime during the Summer of 2010, or was it '11?)

But besides all the sweet birds in that hanger, I worry most for the hanger itself.
I wonder what will become of it?

You know it was Summer because the rain was warmer :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:36 pm 

If you're a train buff as well as a warbird buff, you'll be happy to hear that when you go check-out the museum at the new location in Madras, you also can spend some time chasing BNSF and UP trains along the "Inside Gateway", through some very cool canyons (Deschutes River Canyon, etc.), lava beds, and across some incredible high trestles (one of which is right in Madras) and bridges. geek

I'm told that an added piece of wonderfulness while in the region is watching the rafting college girls relaxed in their natural habitat while you're watching trains in the Deschutes River Canyon, where their observed behaviors reportedly include quaffing mass quantities of adult beverages and somehow losing thier bathing suit tops for the better part of the afternoon. Helluva a way to have to spend an afternoon, but hey, someone's got to do it! :D

By the way Larry, GREAT photos, as always!

--Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm 

Don't make Madras or Central Oregon sound too inviting,Tom.Bend and Redmond were nice and quiet and relatively small towns until a yuppie magazine said that they were a great place to live because they were unspoiled.That was the kiss of death for the unspoiled part with a major population growth.When I moved to Redmond in 1977 the population was 3700 and Bend was a bit under 12,000.We've had a 700% population increase since then.It's still a nice area if you get out of the cities,though and they're still pretty small area-wise.

Here's the one really good picture of Tanker 62 from last year.This was a drop on the Slate Creek Fire southwest of Grants Pass and was an Oregon Department of Forestry fire.The picture was taken on September 3rd by one of the property owners.T62 is about 200 ft above the bottom of the canyon and I'm just about to start a fairly hard left turn to follow the valley and avoid higher terrain.If anyone is interested,this was a Coverage Level 8 single door trail drop.By the time the retardant stops moving forward,it will reach to about where the nose of T62 is in the picture.After that,in theory,it will fall down like rain.

I'll be happy to post the full resolution version of the picture,if anyone is interested.It's a bit over 3MB.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 pm 

Larry Kraus wrote:
Don't make Madras or Central Oregon sound too inviting,Tom. Bend and Redmond were nice and quiet and relatively small towns until a yuppie magazine said that they were a great place to live because they were unspoiled.That was the kiss of death for the unspoiled part with a major population growth.

Good point, Larry. Silly me...I forgot to mention how northwest coeds have hairy chests that block out the view anyway, much like my furry Sasquatchian self, so...uh...never mind 'bout them rafters!

Awesome view of your drop on that fire, Larry; that is some GOOOO-UUD stuff! Thanks for posting that!

--Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 pm 

One of the ex-Butler guys at Madras sent me this link to a you tube video showing a water drop with the MD-87 at Madras.I don't know whether the drop pattern meets the specs for the Forest Service contract or not,but it does prove that Erickson can make slick videos.I have no idea why the title mentions France.Anyway,here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmuMlAKu ... video_user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did they convert the aft end of the forward pit into a tank and if so, gallons held. Looks to be a pretty healthy sized dump port.
Wonder if it gets 'pitchy' on drops-enquiring knows want to mind geek pop2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Thanks for the link Larry! I'd love to see Tanker 62, the DC-10 and the MD-87 make a formation drop. I can dream, can't I? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sort of a Super Soaker and a Squirt Gun??? :rofl: